Sugino VP Spindle Size, Small Ring Problems?

Paul Kopit

Guest
I'm wanting to install a Sugino VP, double 110 bolt pattern, crankset I have and I don't know the
bottom bracket size to use. I have Shimano tapered 110, 113, and 118.

The ring sizes I'm going to try are 44/34 or 50/34 and a 12/27 cassette. Can I use a std cage rear
derailleur? Will a road front derailleur work?

I'm looking to setup a bicycle for several rides that are longer than 200k and have some steep
sections. I prefer not using a triple crankset. I have also used a 52/39 with a 13/32 (12/27 minus
12 plus 32 cog) but this required a long cage derailleur.

I have most of the parts. If it works as I want it to, I'll be shopping for a 46x110 ring.

I use a 34x48 in the front and a 12/25 in the rear. It works really well! I can't believe 110bcd
doubles aren't popular. I love not having to use a triple up front yet having a low gear for my long
hilly rides (as well as being able to have easy rest days up in hilly territory). Personally I would
go bigger than 44 or even 46. Don't forget about all the downhills you get after those climbs. The
48 is perfect for me when I'm by myself. It gets hard on fast group rides when I'm tired. My front
derailleur is a record 10 speed. The rear is a long cage daytona. I can't say from experience but I
don't think you would need the long cage unless you went 34x50 up front. Can't help you on the bb
length, but having that variety you do on hand I'm sure you could find out in about a half hour.
(btw, if you decide you don't want the sugino, let me know)

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm wanting to install a Sugino VP, double 110 bolt pattern, crankset I have and I don't know the
> bottom bracket size to use. I have Shimano tapered 110, 113, and 118.
>
> The ring sizes I'm going to try are 44/34 or 50/34 and a 12/27 cassette. Can I use a std cage rear
> derailleur? Will a road front derailleur work?
>
> I'm looking to setup a bicycle for several rides that are longer than 200k and have some steep
> sections. I prefer not using a triple crankset. I have also used a 52/39 with a 13/32 (12/27 minus
> 12 plus 32 cog) but this required a long cage derailleur.
>
> I have most of the parts. If it works as I want it to, I'll be shopping for a 46x110 ring.

Paul: I'm running a Sugino GT double. Takes a 120mm BB spindle on a road bike. I also have used
Sugino AT's in double mode that take the same width. For the front derailleur, you could use a
standard-drive unit such as a early 90's bottom-pull XT or DX.

My favorite combination is 50/36 and a 13-28 in the back. For this, you'd be better off with a road
front derailleur.

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm wanting to install a Sugino VP, double 110 bolt pattern, crankset I have and I don't know the
> bottom bracket size to use. I have Shimano tapered 110, 113, and 118.
>
> The ring sizes I'm going to try are 44/34 or 50/34 and a 12/27 cassette. Can I use a std cage rear
> derailleur? Will a road front derailleur work?
>
> I'm looking to setup a bicycle for several rides that are longer than 200k and have some steep
> sections. I prefer not using a triple crankset. I have also used a 52/39 with a 13/32 (12/27 minus
> 12 plus 32 cog) but this required a long cage derailleur.
>
> I have most of the parts. If it works as I want it to, I'll be shopping for a 46x110 ring.

I'm pretty sure Dave's GT and AT take a different length than Paul's
VP. The VP is one of Sugino's LP or SLP (Low Profile or Super Low Profile) cranks.

After you mount the crank, consider measuring and adding it to Sheldon's excellent database at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#sugino

"dianne_1234" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm pretty sure Dave's GT and AT take a different length than Paul's
> VP. The VP is one of Sugino's LP or SLP (Low Profile or Super Low Profile) cranks.
>
> After you mount the crank, consider measuring and adding it to Sheldon's excellent database at
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#sugino

Correct. The AT (as a double) uses a 3-S spindle (37.5mm) and the VP when double uses a 3-L (30.5)

Based upon the group and private messages I received, I think I got the bb length nailed on the
first crack.

Whatever a 3L spindle is, I found out it was 116 mm long. I had a Shimano 91 bb in a 113. I put a 1
mm space on the right side of the bb. When I put the cranks on and changed the derailleur height, I
didn't have to change the stops at all. My best guess for 'the' bb would be a 115. What had been in
was Record crankset and bb.

The Record front derailleur shifted the non ramped 34/44 rings much smoother than I expected it
would. I'm going to test drive the beast on tomorrows training ride. I put an 11/23 cassette on.