Sugoi Rain Jacket - Review

Felt_Rider

Oct 24, 2004
This is a short review because there is not much one can say about a rain jacket, but if someone else out there currently doing a little web research for a very lightweight (summer weight) rain jacket the sugoi helium jacket really is superlight. The price tag seems to weigh as much as the jacket (well maybe not):) , but I say that in terms of desiring a lightweight packable material and not a "weight weenies" type of comment.

What I was looking for was a jacket that could be folded very tightly to store in my back pocket for those days when the rain forecast are 50% or better. The jacket will fold down to the size smaller than my fist (less than a baseball) for storage. The marketing says "highly water repellent" so it is not water proof, but I did a quick test under the faucet and the water repelled quite nicely. The fit is not baggy on me so it shouldn't blow up like a balloon while riding.

Felt_Rider said:
This is a short review because there is not much one can say about a rain jacket, but if someone else out there currently doing a little web research for a very lightweight (summer weight) rain jacket the sugoi helium jacket really is superlight. The price tag seems to weigh as much as the jacket (well maybe not):) , but I say that in terms of desiring a lightweight packable material and not a "weight weenies" type of comment.

What I was looking for was a jacket that could be folded very tightly to store in my back pocket for those days when the rain forecast are 50% or better. The jacket will fold down to the size smaller than my fist (less than a baseball) for storage. The marketing says "highly water repellent" so it is not water proof, but I did a quick test under the faucet and the water repelled quite nicely. The fit is not baggy on me so it shouldn't blow up like a balloon while riding.
Have you tested it in actual rainy conditions?

TheDarkLord said:
Have you tested it in actual rainy conditions?
I just picked it up today.
I may be able to give actual field test results after Saturday based on the forecast and the ride is a century so it will have plenty of time of testing if it rains, but I have to admit that I hope it stays tightly folded up in my back jersey pocket. If it rains I will try to keep track of how long it takes for the water to start seeping through.

My quick test under the faucet let me know that it is much more repellent than my current heavier jacket, which does not fold up as tightly and hangs out of the rear pocket.

I should state that I would consider this jacket for event where carrying limited amount of gear is important and not for commuting where staying absolutely dry is the goal.

Felt_Rider said:
I just picked it up today.
I may be able to give actual field test results after Saturday based on the forecast and the ride is a century so it will have plenty of time of testing if it rains, but I have to admit that I hope it stays tightly folded up in my back jersey pocket. If it rains I will try to keep track of how long it takes for the water to start seeping through.

My quick test under the faucet let me know that it is much more repellent than my current heavier jacket, which does not fold up as tightly and hangs out of the rear pocket.
Some materials are quite water resistant in the beginning, but lose some of their characteristics with age. And I have never been able to get the water-proofing materials to work satisfactorily. It would be interesting to see how this jacket fares (compared to what it is now) after a few months of use...

TheDarkLord said:
Some materials are quite water resistant in the beginning, but lose some of their characteristics with age. And I have never been able to get the water-proofing materials to work satisfactorily. It would be interesting to see how this jacket fares (compared to what it is now) after a few months of use...
I know what you mean. I hope it keeps some of those repellent values.
I did make an edit change in my last post to a more specific use. I would not consider this a jacket for commuting, but mainly for events where gear is very limited to what you can stow in your jersey pockets.

Felt_Rider said:
I know what you mean. I hope it keeps some of those repellent values.
I did make an edit change in my last post to a more specific use. I would not consider this a jacket for commuting, but mainly for events where gear is very limited to what you can stow in your jersey pockets.
I think it makes sense for such events. Anyway, please do post updates to the review in future...

TheDarkLord said:
I think it makes sense for such events. Anyway, please do post updates to the review in future...
Okay, I return for the result of the real field test :)

We started the century in a fairly hard rain and within a few minutes I was soaked down to the skin. So in that aspect the jacket is definately water repellent for about 1 minute in a hard rain.

However, this link depicts why I bought this jacket. :D
It is sharing space in my center pocket with a tube repair kit. I barely noticed it back there once the rain stopped and after we did the descents off the mountains where it kept me a bit warmer. If the air had been a bit warmer I wouldn't have worn a jacket at all during the rain since these cycling kits dry out so quickly in the sun. It is the wet socks that are slightly annoying.

If you don't mind being temporarily wet, need something to keep a little warmer in cooler morning air on one of those transition days from cool morning to hot afternoon and you don't feel like lugging a heavier jacket for the rest of the ride, this jacket is one of many options that will pack up tightly. But if you are looking to stay dry this is Not the right type of jacket.

Felt_Rider said:
Okay, I return for the result of the real field test :)

We started the century in a fairly hard rain and within a few minutes I was soaked down to the skin. So in that aspect the jacket is definately water repellent for about 1 minute in a hard rain.

However, this link depicts why I bought this jacket. :D
It is sharing space in my center pocket with a tube repair kit. I barely noticed it back there once the rain stopped and after we did the descents off the mountains where it kept me a bit warmer. If the air had been a bit warmer I wouldn't have worn a jacket at all during the rain since these cycling kits dry out so quickly in the sun. It is the wet socks that are slightly annoying.

If you don't mind being temporarily wet, need something to keep a little warmer in cooler morning air on one of those transition days from cool morning to hot afternoon and you don't feel like lugging a heavier jacket for the rest of the ride, this jacket is one of many options that will pack up tightly. But if you are looking to stay dry this is Not the right type of jacket.
They shouldn't call it a rain jacket then. :p