Suicide Connector Muni: Round 13

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by vivalargo, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    This morning Mango (Eric) drove up from San Diego and joined Josh and I
    for a run down Suicide Connector trail in Simi Valley, So Cal. Blazing
    temps fried us alive but the expedition provided exciting moments.
    Despite riding this trail a dozen or so times over the last year, only
    in the last month have we started cleaning the whole enchilada, as well
    as attacking some grave DH dirt jumper lines (drops) on the flanks. The
    crux is at the very top. You no sooner jump onto your rig and you're
    dropping into a mambo steep, thin, shale chute that goes for about 100
    yards and is too vertical to ever run out. Exciting. And don't fall!

    This is one of the better technical trails in So Cal. Unfortunately,
    park service personal tractored over the lower third for reasons
    unknown to man and beast. Though the tractor could never get up the
    last technical section (The Big Bowl), and even though the bottom thrid
    was always fairly easy, it was a blast and we're bummed about the
    tractoring. But the top two thirds still rock. Josh will post pics
    presently.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  2. entropy

    entropy Guest

    Such an excellent trip! It was over 85 degrees with a HOT wind blowing
    at the summit, and I went through 3 liters of water well before the
    ride was complete.

    Everyone busted out serious muni moves. It was incredible to see such
    an advanced trail ridden so well, and so completely. The smoothing of
    the bottom section was a real downer, but we revisited sections at the
    top several times, riding multiple lines over the same terrain and made
    it all worth the hike.

    Midway, a downhill biker in full gear watched Eric blast over a
    technical jump and almost fell off his rig. I launched myself off the
    edge of the trail and into the bushes more than a few times, and JL
    schooled us all with some huge leaps and control on the steepest loose
    shale sections.

    Photos with both my camera and John's are in my gallery here:
    http://tinyurl.com/85gph

    There is a video of the ride somewhere in San Diego right now, and
    hopefully we'll eventually get to see it. Thanks to the other John,
    the photographer who followed along in the blazing heat!

    --
    entropy
    entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

  3. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

    Beautiful ride you guys - keep pushing that cutting edge!

    Reading your ride rpts and seeing the pics always makes me "go bigger"
    on my local trails. (on a much smaller scale than you guys, though)

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo

    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

  4. mango

    mango Guest

    Man i had fun! thanks for taking me (us), guys! Jon and I are going to
    attack that footage as soon as we get a free computer to edit on. We
    wanted to hit it last night when we got home but Mike and Ralph were
    making a long lost american idol eppisode where ralph auditions.

    Thanks for posting the pics! Can we ride again soon in a couple weeks
    or so?

    You both are amazing riders

    --
    mango

    *Neener, neener, neener. *-harper
    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

  5. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    Yo, Yo, Mango--

    Right now the goal is to try and clean all the trails we've been riding
    these last few years, and the one that so far has the most unridden
    sections is here in the Santa Monica Mountains (known locally as The
    Ditch)--so aside from the training rides in SB, The Ditch is the next
    obvious target. Last time (perhaps 6 months ago) I didn't have the sac
    to try a few of the ski-jump steep dirt drain pipes, but Josh did, and
    I still have disturbing memories of him shooting down one chute,
    strictly on his ass, like a human toboggan. I suspect we all might be
    up for it now. Only one way to find out. Perhaps we can persuade the
    Santa Cruz crew down for a mass assault.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  6. mango

    mango Guest

    vivalargo wrote:
    > Yo, Yo, Mango--
    >
    > Right now the goal is to try and clean all the trails we've been riding
    > these last few years, and the one that so far has the most unridden
    > sections is here in the Santa Monica Mountains (known locally as The
    > Ditch)--so aside from the training rides in SB, The Ditch is the next
    > obvious target. Last time (perhaps 6 months ago) I didn't have the sac
    > to try a few of the ski-jump steep dirt drain pipes, but Josh did, and
    > I still have disturbing memories of him shooting down one chute,
    > strictly on his ass, like a human toboggan. I suspect we all might be
    > up for it now. Only one way to find out. Perhaps we can persuade the
    > Santa Cruz crew down for a mass assault.
    >
    > JL

    Im always up for sliding down hills on my ass! What do you think SC
    crew? Having a group ass slide would be the tits! Hows about the
    weekend after next (feb 18 or 19)?

    --
    mango

    *Neener, neener, neener. *-harper
    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

  7. entropy

    entropy Guest

    goldenchicken wrote:
    > What helmets are the guys in the last (upd-) picture wearing?

    I've got a 'Pro-Tec' (http://www.pro-tec.net/) ski/skate helmet with a
    visor, and I think Mango's is a Pro-Tec as well. I bought mine at a
    bike shop clearance sale.

    forrestunifreak wrote:
    > You guys are all going to Moab MF right?

    I'm in, as is Mango. Not sure about John. I think a couple of Santa
    Barbara folks will be coming too. See you there!

    --
    entropy
    entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

  8. critter

    critter Guest

  9. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

    Great stuff, guys. Riding with you in Santa Barbara at the muni weekend
    made me look at my local trails differently, and your posts keep me
    re-evaluating what I am doing and what I am passing up. It makes my
    rides more fun.

    Nice photos, and that last one is a great UPD, Josh.

    Scott

    --
    S_Wallis

    "Lol, of course it's not the best riding, if it were we'd be the best
    riders and you'd all know who we were." -kington99
    --------------'-top secret-'
    (http://www.wallisdesign.com/HANDLEpics.html)-------------------------------------my
    -'-email-' ([email protected])-------------
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

  10. eyal

    eyal Guest

    Dang. I'm glad I didn't know the great Mango was coming up or I might
    have ditched my saturday psych conference to join you - and if I had
    done that, I'd be a very bad grad student. Thanks for keeping my
    priorities straight guys. But now I'll have to go bigger next time.
    No funny business.

    Hot pics.

    eyal

    --