Suicide (well nearly)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The Oldfellow, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. It nearly got me this morning. The urge to drive straight into a daft
    motorist. She just stopped herself in time (the motorist, that is).

    Scenario: Urban setting, 30 limit, traffic calmed back street. One of
    the chicane types. Four cars approach from the 'give way' side. Me on
    my bike approaching at 15 mph from the 'right of way' side. First car
    almost stops. Then sees I'm only a bike and roars through, I'm still
    closing, but there is space. Second car slows then puts the hammer
    down, he also doesn't actually get in my way. I'm slowing now - this
    third guy will stop? I'm clearly going to go right down the middle of
    the chicane, but no, 40 mph straight through, misses me by three feet -
    which is close. The fourth car has to stop because I am stationary in
    the gap. She doesn't stop at the stop line though - 2 feet from my
    front wheel facing me in the gap.

    No words, just my cold stare. she reversed. I drove on.

    Actually an excellent ride after that. But I may not be posting here
    much longer.

    Richard.

    Tags:

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    The Oldfellow wrote:

    > Scenario

    This happens to me about twice a week on my commute. Here:
    http://qurl.net/5o

    I can only assume they think I'm going to give way. No chance! They usually
    end up reversing, but I have had an instance when the driver refused to
    move. This resulted in tailbacks of about 20 cars on each side. Driver
    relented eventually. Victory!

  3. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    The Oldfellow vaguely muttered something like ...

    > No words, just my cold stare. she reversed. I drove on.

    Absolutely ... ;)

    Well done ...

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) Homer Rules !!!

  4. davek

    davek Guest

    The Oldfellow wrote:
    > No words, just my cold stare. she reversed. I drove on.

    Hurrah for you, you brave man. Glad it worked out as it did - you could
    have been seriously squished.

    d.

  5. davek wrote:
    > The Oldfellow wrote:
    >
    >> No words, just my cold stare. she reversed. I drove on.

    > Hurrah for you, you brave man. Glad it worked out as it did - you could
    > have been seriously squished.
    >
    > d.

    Not sure about brave, just pig headed. Which is probably MORE dangerous.

    Richard.

  6. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:38:19 GMT, The Oldfellow
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >davek wrote:
    >> The Oldfellow wrote:
    >>
    >>> No words, just my cold stare. she reversed. I drove on.

    >> Hurrah for you, you brave man. Glad it worked out as it did - you could
    >> have been seriously squished.
    >>
    >> d.

    >Not sure about brave, just pig headed.

    Why pigheaded Richard ?? YOU had the right of way. Good on yer. You
    realy need to practice an eyes out bulging glare to return to the
    opposition. Practice in a mirror.

  7. On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:50:15 +0100, Simonb wrote:

    > The Oldfellow wrote:
    >
    >> Scenario

    > This happens to me about twice a week on my commute. Here:
    > http://qurl.net/5o

    Talking about Southampton,
    there are now temporary lights controlling the traffic across Woodmill.
    I came across there on a green (in a car) and gave way to a cyclist
    approaching me.
    It seemed to me that the lights didn't give enough time for a cyclist to
    clear the bridge before going green on the other side.
    Anyone else?

  8. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    ScumOfTheRoad wrote:

    > Talking about Southampton,
    > there are now temporary lights controlling the traffic across
    > Woodmill.

    Motorists never give way to cyclists at Woodmill, they're always pissed off
    at having to wait for, ooh, seconds, for other cars to clear the bridge.

  9. "The Oldfellow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It nearly got me this morning. The urge to drive straight into a daft
    > motorist. She just stopped herself in time (the motorist, that is).
    >
    > Scenario: Urban setting, 30 limit, traffic calmed back street. One of
    > the chicane types. Four cars approach from the 'give way' side. Me on
    > my bike approaching at 15 mph from the 'right of way' side. First car
    > almost stops. Then sees I'm only a bike and roars through, I'm still
    > closing, but there is space. Second car slows then puts the hammer
    > down, he also doesn't actually get in my way. I'm slowing now - this
    > third guy will stop? I'm clearly going to go right down the middle of
    > the chicane, but no, 40 mph straight through, misses me by three feet -
    > which is close. The fourth car has to stop because I am stationary in
    > the gap. She doesn't stop at the stop line though - 2 feet from my
    > front wheel facing me in the gap.
    >
    > No words, just my cold stare. she reversed. I drove on.
    >
    > Actually an excellent ride after that. But I may not be posting here
    > much longer.

    Daily event here in Cambridge. And in response to stopping in the lane and
    waiting for the oncoming vehicle to either reverse or definitely stop so I
    can hop off, I've been assaulted, threatened, and hit by a van moving
    forward.

    It's an arse, isn't it?

  10. Peter Amey

    Peter Amey Guest

    Colin Davidson wrote:
    [snip]

    > Daily event here in Cambridge. And in response to stopping in the lane and
    > waiting for the oncoming vehicle to either reverse or definitely stop so I
    > can hop off, I've been assaulted, threatened, and hit by a van moving
    > forward.
    >
    > It's an arse, isn't it?

    Most recent response I have had to my usual tactic of aiming right
    between the driver's eyes was to have the oncoming vehicle swerve neatly
    up onto the pavement and drive by at undimished speed. Presumably
    that's why he bought a 4x4; so he could go off road [1].

    Peter

    [1] Notwithstanding the known fact that motor vehicles NEVER do this.

  11. Jack Ouzzi wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:38:19 GMT, The Oldfellow
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>davek wrote:

    >>>Hurrah for you, you brave man. Glad it worked out as it did - you could
    >>>have been seriously squished.
    >>>
    >>>d.

    >>Not sure about brave, just pig headed.

    > Why pigheaded Richard ?? YOU had the right of way. Good on yer. You
    > realy need to practice an eyes out bulging glare to return to the
    > opposition. Practice in a mirror.

    Pigheaded as opposed to brave, not as opposed to right! I know I'm
    right though ;-)

    Thanks for all the support everyone!

    Richard.

  12. >They can't do that on the road I have problems with; too many bollards.
    >Although one car managed to wedge itself between the bollards and a brick
    >wall last week, on the pavement.

    You are dreaming, obviously, as according to uk.tosspot no motorists would ever
    go on the pavement, as it's only Lycra lout cyclists who break the law thus...

    Cheers, helen s

  13. >They can't do that on the road I have problems with; too many bollards.
    >Although one car managed to wedge itself between the bollards and a brick
    >wall last week, on the pavement.

    You are dreaming, obviously, as according to uk.tosspot no motorists would ever
    go on the pavement, as it's only Lycra lout cyclists who break the law thus...

    Cheers, helen s

  14. >They can't do that on the road I have problems with; too many bollards.
    >Although one car managed to wedge itself between the bollards and a brick
    >wall last week, on the pavement.

    You are dreaming, obviously, as according to uk.tosspot no motorists would ever
    go on the pavement, as it's only Lycra lout cyclists who break the law thus...

    Cheers, helen s

  15. "Peter Amey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Most recent response I have had to my usual tactic of aiming right
    > between the driver's eyes was to have the oncoming vehicle swerve neatly
    > up onto the pavement and drive by at undimished speed. Presumably
    > that's why he bought a 4x4; so he could go off road [1].

    They can't do that on the road I have problems with; too many bollards.
    Although one car managed to wedge itself between the bollards and a brick
    wall last week, on the pavement.

  16. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > No no no no no - it's _all_ cyclists.. ;-)

    All cyclists _are_ Lycra Lout cyclists. Even those that aren't wearing
    lycra have a mental veneer of the shiny material. ;-)

    Jon

  17. > You are dreaming, obviously, as according to uk.tosspot no motorists

  18. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    >>They can't do that on the road I have problems with; too many bollards.
    >>Although one car managed to wedge itself between the bollards and a brick
    >>wall last week, on the pavement.

    >You are dreaming, obviously, as according to uk.tosspot no motorists would ever
    >go on the pavement, as it's only Lycra lout cyclists who break the law thus...

    Luckily a photographer shared the same dream:
    http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/search/dispstory.asp?id=62656&db=1

    (It's a Volvo. To be fair to lawful Volvo drivers, it's quite likely a
    stolen Volvo - a normal Volvo driver would have put the hazard lights on.)

  19. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Jon Senior" <[email protected]_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > No no no no no - it's _all_ cyclists.. ;-)

    > All cyclists _are_ Lycra Lout cyclists. Even those that aren't wearing
    > lycra have a mental veneer of the shiny material. ;-)

    Margaret Rutherford?

    cheers,
    clive

  20. >Luckily a photographer shared the same dream:
    >http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/search/dispstory.asp?id=62656&db=1

    No, no, no, as the denizens of uk.tosspot would surely state, it's a cardboard
    cutout put there by a nasty Lycra lout cyclist to cast aspertions on nice
    drivers.

    Cheers, helen s ;-)