suitable bike for girl

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mule, Feb 25, 2003.

  1. Mule

    Mule Guest

    Does anyone have any recommendations for a mountainbike for a girl? She is 5ft8 and is looking to
    spend about £500 (about $750).

    I'm thinking of something mainstream (she also lives in the UK so it's hard to get "exotic" bikes).
    Maybe something from Specialized / Kona / Marin.

    I would really appreciate any feedback from girls since I am not familiar with ladies' bikes. I'm
    not even sure whether a ladies' bike would be the most appropriate?

    TIA

    --
    ...meandering mule...

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "mule" <meanderingmule_at_nospam.breathe.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any recommendations for a mountainbike for a girl? She is 5ft8 and is looking to
    > spend about £500 (about $750).

    That's a tall girl. Are you sure she isn't a woman? :)

    > I'm thinking of something mainstream (she also lives in the UK so it's
    hard
    > to get "exotic" bikes). Maybe something from Specialized / Kona / Marin.
    >
    > I would really appreciate any feedback from girls since I am not familiar with ladies' bikes. I'm
    > not even sure whether a ladies' bike would be the most appropriate?

    A "ladies" bike is not necessary. Have her go to a reputable LBS so she can get fitted properly with
    a bike that suits her needs and skills.

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    mule <meanderingmule_at_nospam.breathe.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any recommendations for a mountainbike for a girl? She is 5ft8 and is looking to
    > spend about £500 (about $750).
    >
    > I'm thinking of something mainstream (she also lives in the UK so it's
    hard
    > to get "exotic" bikes). Maybe something from Specialized / Kona / Marin.
    >
    > I would really appreciate any feedback from girls since I am not familiar with ladies' bikes. I'm
    > not even sure whether a ladies' bike would be the most appropriate?
    >
    > TIA

    Some of it depends on what she will be doing on it - pavement? Light trails? Technical trails? Etc.

    For pavement/light trails, she might be better off with a bike in the 'comfort bike' category, which
    looks very much like a mountain bike, but is a bit 'easier going' and more upright riding position.

    Anyhow, your best bet would be to go to a good bike shop, preferably one (or several) recommended by
    someone you trust in these matters, and let her try as many as she can. Fit is foremost! Get a bike
    that fits, not necessarily a WSD (Woman Specific Design) as the fit on these doesn't work for all
    women. A good bike shop with well informed staff will be able to fit her out with a bike that she
    should love for years to come.

    Bomba has a FAQ for new bike buying on his site somewhere, as does someone (?) else here. Look for a
    post from Bomba (Jonathan Harris), and you'll find the site URL in his sig - check it out, it's
    worth your while.

    Hope I've been of some help.

    Shaun aRe

  4. Mule

    Mule Guest

    Yes, sorry when I say "girl" I mean woman! Lol By the way, what's the main difference between a
    ladies' bike and a normal/man's bike apart from the lowered main beam?

    To be honest I would have thought that a man's bike could do with a lowered main beam too, since
    I've come a cropper many times falling forwards where the terrain was such that my feet wouldn't
    touch the ground. Bikes seem to be slowly headed that way design-wise nowadays though...

    Thanks

    --
    ...meandering mule...

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "mule" <meanderingmule_at_nospam.breathe.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Does anyone have any recommendations for a mountainbike for a girl? She is 5ft8 and is looking to
    >> spend about £500 (about $750).
    >
    > That's a tall girl. Are you sure she isn't a woman? :)
    >
    >> I'm thinking of something mainstream (she also lives in the UK so it's
    > hard
    >> to get "exotic" bikes). Maybe something from Specialized / Kona / Marin.
    >>
    >> I would really appreciate any feedback from girls since I am not familiar with ladies' bikes. I'm
    >> not even sure whether a ladies' bike would be the most appropriate?
    >
    > A "ladies" bike is not necessary. Have her go to a reputable LBS so she can get fitted properly
    > with a bike that suits her needs and skills.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    mule <meanderingmule_at_nospam.breathe.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yes, sorry when I say "girl" I mean woman! Lol By the way, what's the main difference between a
    > ladies' bike and a normal/man's bike apart from the lowered main beam?

    That is a 'toy' woman's bike, a throwback to the days women rode in skirts, and has nothing to do
    with the protection of delicate 'bits'. The main difference is in the geometry, women and men
    tend to have different relationships between leg and torso length, but there is no hard and fast
    rule there.

    > To be honest I would have thought that a man's bike could do with a lowered main beam too, since
    > I've come a cropper many times falling forwards where the terrain was such that my feet wouldn't
    > touch the ground. Bikes seem to be slowly headed that way design-wise nowadays though...

    Yes, egzactly - men would benefit more from a low top tube than women. Myself, I got a small, low
    top tubed frame (designed for jump/BSX/DS riding) and fitted a longer seatpost to accommodate my leg
    length. I didn't do this to protect my bollox though, more so it was easier to bail in a mishap
    situation without tangling legs and bike frame all the time.

    Shaun aRe - HTH!

  6. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "mule" <meanderingmule_at_nospam.breathe.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yes, sorry when I say "girl" I mean woman! Lol By the way, what's the main difference between a
    > ladies' bike and a normal/man's bike apart from the lowered main beam?

    Hardly anybody makes "mixte" frames anymore. Here's a little history lesson:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_i-l.html#ladys

    > To be honest I would have thought that a man's bike could do with a lowered main beam too, since
    > I've come a cropper many times falling forwards where the terrain was such that my feet wouldn't
    > touch the ground. Bikes seem to be slowly headed that way design-wise nowadays though...

    The sloping top tube design is now mainstream with a majority of bikes out there. And now some
    more info:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#framesize

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  7. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > I'm thinking of something mainstream (she also lives in the UK so it's
    hard
    > to get "exotic" bikes). Maybe something from Specialized / Kona / Marin.

    Specialized makes a full line of woman specific bikes. You could get her a Rockhopper, Stumpjumper,
    or Epic made to fit women better. Mainstream and easy to find, and at a great price, too.

    -John Morgan

  8. Mule

    Mule Guest

    "Epic"? Ok, thanks. I'll have another look at the Specialized website...

    --
    ...meandering mule...

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in news:p[email protected]:

    >> I'm thinking of something mainstream (she also lives in the UK so it's
    > hard
    >> to get "exotic" bikes). Maybe something from Specialized / Kona / Marin.
    >
    > Specialized makes a full line of woman specific bikes. You could get her a Rockhopper,
    > Stumpjumper, or Epic made to fit women better. Mainstream and easy to find, and at a great
    > price, too.
    >
    > -John Morgan

  9. Mule

    Mule Guest

    Shaun, Carla,

    Thanks for the information. The SheldonBrown page is particularly useful. Carla, if I may ask what
    bike(s) do you have? Apart from getting a suitable size bike, do you have any particular
    recommendations?

    Our rides would consist of quite tough terrain (a mixture of mud, gravel, sand, stone and tree
    roots) and not much pavement. Sometimes we would ride some easy routes too.

    I was planning to say "go for a hardtail", since from what I've heard, full suspension bikes are
    more complicated and sap more energy. I have an '01 Rockhopper, though it's quite banged up now.

    Thanks,

    --
    ...meandering mule...

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "mule" <meanderingmule_at_nospam.breathe.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Yes, sorry when I say "girl" I mean woman! Lol By the way, what's the main difference between a
    >> ladies' bike and a normal/man's bike apart from the lowered main beam?
    >
    > Hardly anybody makes "mixte" frames anymore. Here's a little history lesson:
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_i-l.html#ladys
    >
    >> To be honest I would have thought that a man's bike could do with a lowered main beam too, since
    >> I've come a cropper many times falling forwards where the terrain was such that my feet wouldn't
    >> touch the ground. Bikes seem to be slowly headed that way design-wise nowadays though...
    >
    > The sloping top tube design is now mainstream with a majority of bikes out there. And now some
    > more info:
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#framesize
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  10. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    >> I would really appreciate any feedback from girls since I am not familiar with ladies' bikes. I'm
    >> not even sure whether a ladies' bike would be the most appropriate?
    >>

    > Anyhow, your best bet would be to go to a good bike shop, preferably one (or several) recommended
    > by someone you trust in these matters, and let her try as many as she can. Fit is foremost! Get a
    > bike that fits, not necessarily a WSD (Woman Specific Design) as the fit on these doesn't work for
    > all women. A good bike shop with well informed staff will be able to fit her out with a bike that
    > she should love for years to come.

    what he said.

    overall fit is way more important than "wsd" that's only good for women that fall within certain
    typical parameters. I ride a regular 15" Kona (regular) frame. If she thinks she might like *real*
    mtbiking, get a real mountain bike and not a comfort or hybrid. Important for her to choose it or
    have final say especially on fit. If it's going to be a gift have it be a gift certificate to a bike
    hsop and not a bike.

    two FAQ's that might help http://bdbauer.tripod.com/newbike/
    http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/ambfaq.htm

    I know that the Santa Cruz and Titus sites have lots of articles on fit issues for women.

    Penny S www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    John Morgan wrote:

    > Specialized makes a full line of woman specific bikes. You could get her a Rockhopper,
    > Stumpjumper, or Epic made to fit women better. Mainstream and easy to find, and at a great
    > price, too.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    I'm way under whelmed with WSD... I think John's been reading too many magazines.

    I'd be very careful about WSD bikes . They are designed for a porportionally typical or average
    woman . Other options may be narrow handlebars and smaller grips, saddle. Many shops will point you
    that way when it may not be the best geometry for you persoanlly. Many bike companies make limited
    WSD bikes one or two options whereas with the full line there are many options.

    OTOH, some women love them. But I did not.

    Penny

  12. Mule

    Mule Guest

    Thanks Penny.

    Unfortunately I can't be with her when she buys her bike so I'm trying to gather as much info
    as possible.

    I've mentioned WSD but have told her that I know next to nothing about them. Having said that I
    don't think that bikes are MSD either. Painful top tube, knife-edge saddle, etc.

    I always smile when someone says that the most comfortable saddle design would look like a toilet
    seat! But it's TRUE, I say...

    --
    ...meandering mule...

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > John Morgan wrote:
    >>
    >> Specialized makes a full line of woman specific bikes. You could get her a Rockhopper,
    >> Stumpjumper, or Epic made to fit women better. Mainstream and easy to find, and at a great
    >> price, too.
    >>
    >> -John Morgan
    >
    > I'm way under whelmed with WSD... I think John's been reading too many magazines.
    >
    > I'd be very careful about WSD bikes . They are designed for a porportionally typical or average
    > woman . Other options may be narrow handlebars and smaller grips, saddle. Many shops will point
    > you that way when it may not be the best geometry for you persoanlly. Many bike companies make
    > limited WSD bikes one or two options whereas with the full line there are many options.
    >
    > OTOH, some women love them. But I did not.
    >
    > Penny

  13. Mule

    Mule Guest

  14. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "mule" <meanderingmule_at_nospam.breathe.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun, Carla,
    >
    > Thanks for the information. The SheldonBrown page is particularly useful. Carla, if I may ask what
    > bike(s) do you have?

    One from Santa Cruz, a couple of them from Specialized, one from Nukeproof, one from Cannondale and
    one from Bianchi.

    > Apart from getting a suitable size bike, do you have any particular recommendations?

    Have a look at Specialized bikes, not necessarily the woman's one's. They have a good range of bikes
    for all skills.

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  15. Mule

    Mule Guest

    Are you a professsional cyclist of some sort? That's a lot of bikes! How do you ride them all at the
    same time? =o)

    --
    ...meandering mule...

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "mule" <meanderingmule_at_nospam.breathe.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Shaun, Carla,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the information. The SheldonBrown page is particularly useful. Carla, if I may ask
    >> what bike(s) do you have?
    >
    > One from Santa Cruz, a couple of them from Specialized, one from Nukeproof, one from Cannondale
    > and one from Bianchi.
    >
    >> Apart from getting a suitable size bike, do you have any particular recommendations?
    >
    > Have a look at Specialized bikes, not necessarily the woman's one's. They have a good range of
    > bikes for all skills.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  16. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    > Gawd, you ask a lot of questions :). Guess you haven't been here long enough to know everybody.
    > May I suggest that you do a deja search and read some older posts, just so you can get the feel of
    > this newsgroup. I am not in Canada anymore. I am in New York. Yes, it still snows in Canada, even
    > though I am no longer there. Yes, it also snows in New York, the snow followed me here.

    I was going to post a link for AMBar#1 and realized I don't have it anymore. Now THAT's where I'd
    send someone to learn about am-b...

    Penny S

    And no, no one peed in my cornflakes *today*

  17. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    mule wrote:
    > Thanks Penny.
    >
    > Unfortunately I can't be with her when she buys her bike so I'm trying to gather as much info as
    > possible.
    >
    > I've mentioned WSD but have told her that I know next to nothing about them. Having said that I
    > don't think that bikes are MSD either. Painful top tube, knife-edge saddle, etc.
    >
    > I always smile when someone says that the most comfortable saddle design would look like a toilet
    > seat! But it's TRUE, I say...

    If buying a man's bike, get the shop to change the saddle over for a woman's one. Women have
    different shaped pelvic bones to men, and although some women get on ok with men's saddles, if she's
    just starting out, she may appreciate a wider saddle.

  18. Mule

    Mule Guest

    An octopus eh? Bet you can't do this:

    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030224/80/dtzgj.html

    Also, whose ass do you kick?

    wobbling mule

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "mule" <meanderingmule_at_nospam.breathe.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Are you a professsional cyclist of some sort?
    >
    > Professional, no. Poser, yes.
    >
    >> That's a lot of bikes!
    >
    > Its too many. Trying to get rid of some.
    >
    >> How do you ride them all at the same time? =o)
    >
    > Its easy, I am an octopus in real life.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  19. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "mule" <meanderingmule_at_nospam.breathe.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > An octopus eh? Bet you can't do this:
    >
    > http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030224/80/dtzgj.html

    No, I can't, but I'm pretty good at crushing beer cans...

    > Also, whose ass do you kick?

    Anyone who deserves a good ass kicking...

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  20. Mule

    Mule Guest

    Thanks.

    I might get a new saddle as well. Nothing wrong with my pelvic alignment but it's just too narrow!
    Also the "beak" is rather pointy. I've hurt myself sometimes when I've had to "emergency brake" and
    I come off of the saddle. However the bike's momentum was still moving it forwards, embedding the
    point in a place it shouldn't be...

    --
    ...meandering mule...