suitable clipless pedals for road and touring use?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wideboythin, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Wideboythin

    Wideboythin Guest

    Hi all,

    Having been getting more serious about cycling recently I've bought a pair of nice specialized road
    shoes, and am looking into getting some clipless pedals to match. The shoes work with all types of
    clipless pedals, but I'm not sure where to start - look, spd, time - I can't tell which is better
    for what reason!

    Any advice much appreciated!

    WBT

    Tags:

  2. best all round easily SPD.

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "WideboyThin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:10491[email protected]...
    > Any advice much appreciated!

    Look cleats are no good if you want to walk with a degree of normality. Shimano SPDs (Not SPD-Rs)
    are great to walk with and offer a wide range of pedals from "aero" single sided road type A515,
    several double sided mtb types that are perfectly alright on a road bike, covering a wide price
    range (the cheapos are fine IMHO) and mtb types that have a plain platform on one side and a clip-in
    on the other. Time are also well thought of but I have no personal experience.

    Pete

  4. M Series

    M Series Guest

    This thread will become like a Campag v Shimano or helmets v no helmets.

    Me ? I use Look, why ? Was the obvious choice at the time, SPDs if available were for MTBers and
    Look/Time for roadies. Time were too expensive. I have used SPDs on my MTB and found them much
    harder to step into than Looks but that's possibly because I am so used to Look

    "WideboyThin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Having been getting more serious about cycling recently I've bought a pair of nice specialized
    > road shoes, and am looking into getting some clipless pedals to match. The shoes work with all
    > types of clipless pedals, but I'm not sure where
    > start - look, spd, time - I can't tell which is better for what reason!
    >
    > Any advice much appreciated!
    >
    > WBT

  5. David Hart

    David Hart Guest

    Road Bike - Time Equipe MTB - Time ATAC Winter/Touring Bike Time ATAC

    Have ridden Time for a 10 years never any problems. Easy to set-up, little maintenance required. Did
    try SPD's no MTB gave me knee problems, likewise with Look pedals.

    If you are using road shoes whatever pedals you choose the cleats will always be exposed. For hassle
    free walking get a pair of MTB Shoes and either Time ATAC or SPD's

    Dave

    "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > This thread will become like a Campag v Shimano or helmets v no helmets.
    >
    > Me ? I use Look, why ? Was the obvious choice at the time, SPDs if
    available
    > were for MTBers and Look/Time for roadies. Time were too expensive. I have used SPDs on my MTB and
    > found them much harder to step into than Looks but that's possibly because I am so used to Look
    >

    > "WideboyThin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Having been getting more serious about cycling recently I've bought a
    pair
    > > of nice specialized road shoes, and am looking into getting some
    clipless
    > > pedals to match. The shoes work with all types of clipless pedals, but I'm not sure where
    > > start - look, spd, time - I can't tell which is better for what reason!
    > >
    > > Any advice much appreciated!
    > >
    > > WBT

  6. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Mon, 31 Mar, Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

    > best all round easily SPD.

    SPD are not good for the knees. SPD are one of the less good pedals in mud (they jam up too easily).

    ATAC aare better onn both counts. Personally I have ATAC on mtb, tourer and recumbant trike.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  7. Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > ATAC aare better onn both counts. Personally I have ATAC on mtb, tourer and recumbant trike.

    They're a bit more expensive than the diecast-bodied ATACS, but if looking for something with more
    of a "road" appearance, they also do a single-sided version called the Cyclo. Still cheaper than the
    carbon/thermoplastic ATACs, though.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Ian Smith wrote:

    > ATAC aare better onn both counts. Personally I have ATAC on mtb, tourer and recumbant trike.

    I run ATACs on the MTB and the 'bent tourer as well. Good bit of kit. Unlike SPuDs and SPuD-u-likes
    they seem to be unaffected by cleat wear causing unwanted release, and there's no faffing about
    setting tension. A very clean design, one of the very few with genuine lateral float as well as
    rotational float.

    My tandeming friends have switched over from SPuDs, and report more positive engagement and
    basically just seem to prefer them. They'll cost a bit more than vanilla SPuDs, but OTOH I think
    it's a better piece of kit.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Wideboythin

    Wideboythin Guest

    > > ATAC aare better onn both counts. Personally I have ATAC on mtb, tourer and recumbant trike.
    >
    > I run ATACs on the MTB and the 'bent tourer as well. Good bit of kit. Unlike SPuDs and
    > SPuD-u-likes they seem to be unaffected by cleat wear causing unwanted release, and there's no
    > faffing about setting tension. A very clean design, one of the very few with genuine lateral float
    > as well as rotational float.

    Thanks for all the replies, The ATACs were double-sided which seemed appealling and wiggle were
    doing some 2002 Alium pedals at a reduced price, so I've opted for those. Will report back :)

    cheers

    WBT

  10. Wideboythin

    Wideboythin Guest

    > Unlike SPuDs and SPuD-u-likes they seem to be unaffected by cleat wear causing unwanted release,
    > and there's no faffing about setting tension. A very clean design, one of the very few with
    > genuine lateral float as well as rotational float.

    Years ago in my MTB days as a yoof I had some of the earlier SPD models, and my worst cycling
    accident involved coming un-clipped in mid-air while travelling/cycling rather fast in Epping
    Forest. Luckily nothing was broken - the bike was another matter!

    WBT

  11. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Time Cyclo for road/touring are very good. All the best Dan