Suitable Drive Train for touring with a Peugeot Ventoux

rickclick

Guest
I might be putting the travois before the horse in even thinking about
using this 20 year old bike to go touring, but I bought it for cheap
and it's hardly been used in all that time. It has been stored
indoors and everything works fine. The largest issue I can see is
that it has a Helicomatic 6-speed, 13 x 15 x 17 x 19 x 21 x 24T
freewheel set with inappropriate gearing to carry me and my gear up
any incline greater than a couple degrees. It has only a double
chainwheel 42/52 and the smallest chainwheel replacement is a 38
tooth, so that is not small enough to give me the gearing I'll need.
Since this Helicomatic is recognized as junk and the hub is wed to it,
I'll need to get a replacement hub and rebuild the wheel or get a
wheel, hub and freewheel cassette all as one unit. Is this bike worth
messing with or should I just look for something more appropriate? A
Surly Long Haul Trucker comes to mind, but the cost is well out of
reach. Any suggestions? Thanks.

On Jan 22, 8:12 pm, rickclick <[email protected]> wrote:
> I might be putting the travois before the horse in even thinking about
> using this 20 year old bike to go touring, but I bought it for cheap
> and it's hardly been used in all that time. It has been stored
> indoors and everything works fine. The largest issue I can see is
> that it has a Helicomatic 6-speed, 13 x 15 x 17 x 19 x 21 x 24T
> freewheel set with inappropriate gearing to carry me and my gear up
> any incline greater than a couple degrees. It has only a double
> chainwheel 42/52 and the smallest chainwheel replacement is a 38
> tooth, so that is not small enough to give me the gearing I'll need.
> Since this Helicomatic is recognized as junk and the hub is wed to it,
> I'll need to get a replacement hub and rebuild the wheel or get a
> wheel, hub and freewheel cassette all as one unit. Is this bike worth
> messing with or should I just look for something more appropriate? A
> Surly Long Haul Trucker comes to mind, but the cost is well out of
> reach. Any suggestions? Thanks.

New rear wheel, 11-34 Megarange eight speed cluster, chain, and a
fresh derailleur can be had for $150 if you shop around. If it's
hilly, you 'll surely want a front triple and a new mech. On the other
hand, new bikes that are suitable for light touring start at $400
online...up to you. If the bike fits you and is in good shape, why
not? You'll also need to spring apart or cold set the rear from 126mm
to 130mm.

rickclick wrote:
> I might be putting the travois before the horse in even thinking about
> using this 20 year old bike to go touring, but I bought it for cheap
> and it's hardly been used in all that time. It has been stored
> indoors and everything works fine. The largest issue I can see is
> that it has a Helicomatic 6-speed, 13 x 15 x 17 x 19 x 21 x 24T
> freewheel set with inappropriate gearing to carry me and my gear up
> any incline greater than a couple degrees. It has only a double
> chainwheel 42/52 and the smallest chainwheel replacement is a 38
> tooth, so that is not small enough to give me the gearing I'll need.
> Since this Helicomatic is recognized as junk and the hub is wed to it,
> I'll need to get a replacement hub and rebuild the wheel or get a
> wheel, hub and freewheel cassette all as one unit. Is this bike worth
> messing with or should I just look for something more appropriate? A
> Surly Long Haul Trucker comes to mind, but the cost is well out of
> reach. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ventoux are well made and Helicomatic are not 'junk'.
But, as Beta vs. VHS, they lost. Hard.

For a low-miles bike after long storage:
Open and lubricate, then adjust bearings.
Check wheels for roundness, lateral runout and spoke tension.
Are your tires the original Michelin cotton? Age treats them badly, new
tires may be needed if they are frayed or lumpy.
Ensure braking system is properly adjusted and cables are undamaged.
Brake pads may have hardened with age, check that.
Lubricate freewheel body with a bit of oil, check that the chain is
lubricated.

Then get some miles on it. See if you like it. Does it fit? Take a few
long day rides with touring-weight gear packed on it. Does it handle
well with luggage?

Then, if you find you need more or different gear selections, you can
always build a new wheel as needed. Helico change gearing is still
available.

If you are dissatisfied with shift response, just about any modern
system will have enhanced tooth profiles for quicker shifts. This is
hardly a 'deal breaker' as a hundred years of cyclists managed somehow
before that. See if it fits and suits your idea of what a bike should
feel like before obsessing over equipment.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Jan 22, 8:41 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> rickclick wrote:
> > I might be putting the travois before the horse in even thinking about
> > using this 20 year old bike to go touring, but I bought it for cheap
> > and it's hardly been used in all that time.  It has been stored
> > indoors and everything works fine.  The largest issue I can see is
> > that it has a Helicomatic 6-speed, 13 x 15 x 17 x 19 x 21 x 24T
> > freewheel set with inappropriate gearing to carry me and my gear up
> > any incline greater than a couple degrees.  It has only a double
> > chainwheel 42/52 and the smallest chainwheel replacement is a 38
> > tooth, so that is not small enough to give me the gearing I'll need.
> > Since this Helicomatic is recognized as junk and the hub is wed to it,
> > I'll need to get a replacement hub and rebuild the wheel or get a
> > wheel, hub and freewheel cassette all as one unit.  Is this bike worth
> > messing with or should I just look for something more appropriate?  A
> > Surly Long Haul Trucker comes to mind, but the cost is well out of
> > reach.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

> Ventoux are well made and Helicomatic are not 'junk'.
> But, as Beta vs. VHS, they lost. Hard.
>
> For a low-miles bike after long storage:
> Open and lubricate, then adjust bearings.
> Check wheels for roundness, lateral runout and spoke tension.
> Are your tires the original Michelin cotton? Age treats them badly, new
> tires may be needed if they are frayed or lumpy.
> Ensure braking system is properly adjusted and cables are undamaged.
> Brake pads may have hardened with age, check that.
> Lubricate freewheel body with a bit of oil, check that the chain is
> lubricated.
>
> Then get some miles on it. See if you like it. Does it fit? Take a few
> long day rides with touring-weight gear packed on it. Does it handle
> well with luggage?
>
> Then, if you find you need more or different gear selections, you can
> always build a new wheel as needed. Helico change gearing is still
> available.
>
> If you are dissatisfied with shift response, just about any modern
> system will have enhanced tooth profiles for quicker shifts. This is
> hardly a 'deal breaker' as a hundred years of cyclists managed somehow
> before that. See if it fits and suits your idea of what a bike should
> feel like before obsessing over equipment.
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for that encouragement, Andrew. I've been reading too much
instead of riding. Today I just got my MKS touring pedals to put on
the bike so my big feet feel stable while I ride. I live in upstate
NY and have to be careful as I reenter cycling after 20 years off.
They plow the snow onto the side of the road and I have to wait for it
to warm up to above freezing to melt it off the "bike lane".
Everything is original on this bike and it seems hardly used. The
seat post being turned backward so the seat was tipped up in front may
have had something to do with that. :) The tire rubber is slightly
fraying away from the sidewalls and I'll ride it until it seems
unsafe. The brake pads were a bit hard, but sanding the shine off
them seems to help lots. I'm also a photographer and I know what
obsessing about equipment is; it's an illness that needs a 12 step
program. I was riding from Oregon to LA by way of Yosemite and met a
guy in the mountains who was touring barefoot on an old single speed
clunker. I admired his minimalist style.

rickclick wrote:
-snip Peugeot-
> I know what
> obsessing about equipment is; it's an illness that needs a 12 step
> program. I was riding from Oregon to LA by way of Yosemite and met a
> guy in the mountains who was touring barefoot on an old single speed
> clunker. I admired his minimalist style.

College kids, typically on a rusty Varsity, chain trimmed to 'single',
22psi and sandals no sox pass me on hills. For doing everything 'wrong',
they seem to manage riding happily. One needn't be Spartan for its own
sake, but once your equipment can get you down the road, IMHO it should
be more about riding than merely owning 'cool stuff'.