Suitable saddlepack for a Brooks B17 saddle

Willowbeauty

Guest
Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits OK- I keep buying various
Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails don't run parallel far enough towards the back of
the saddle to allow the saddlepacks to be clamped on.

I don't want to revert to a saddlebag or anything else since I want the same set up on my touring
bike and my road bike (which has a racing saddle so no problems with that one of course!)

Any help gratefully accepted, my jersey pockets are getting fed up carrying my spares!

> Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits OK- I keep buying various
> Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails don't run parallel far enough towards the back
> of the saddle to allow the saddlepacks to be clamped on.

i dont have the B17 saddle but i do have the same problem ... i bought a topeak pack and it wont
fit my saddle either ... id destroyed the packaging when opening without thinking too so cant
take it back

as my bike has a rack ive used the velcro strip around the seat post and a couple of plastic ties to
the rack so its fixed to the bike but not quite what i wanted .. !

"doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits
OK-
> > I keep buying various Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails don't run parallel far
> > enough towards the back of the saddle to allow
the
> > saddlepacks to be clamped on.
>
> i dont have the B17 saddle but i do have the same problem ... i bought a topeak pack and it wont
> fit my saddle either ... id destroyed the packaging when opening without thinking too so cant
> take it back
>
> as my bike has a rack ive used the velcro strip around the seat post and a couple of plastic ties
> to the rack so its fixed to the bike but not quite what i wanted .. !

Thx for the reply, glad to know its not just me then! Very annoying it is- I'm not having any more
cable ties on my bike though- the computer etc use enough of those already! Maybe I just ride to all
my local bike shops and give them the problem to solve- if I had access to a mill I could make a
bracket extension myself but sadly I don't!

Other than Brooks saddles, got any other comfy saddle recommendations? I'd actually think about a
different saddle if I can't get this fixed- all very well having an old-fashioned Brooks but I've
not got the beard to go with a saddlebag just yet!

"Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits
OK-
> I keep buying various Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails don't run parallel far
> enough towards the back of the saddle to allow the saddlepacks to be clamped on.
>
> I don't want to revert to a saddlebag or anything else since I want the
same
> set up on my touring bike and my road bike (which has a racing saddle so
no
> problems with that one of course!)
>
> Any help gratefully accepted, my jersey pockets are getting fed up
carrying
> my spares!

When I'm not using the Carradice my Jandd seatbag works quite nicely on my B17 and other saddles.
Are Jandd products sold in the UK? HTH,
--
mark

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits
> OK-
> > I keep buying various Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails don't run parallel far
> > enough towards the back of the saddle to allow
the
> > saddlepacks to be clamped on.
> >
> > I don't want to revert to a saddlebag or anything else since I want the
> same
> > set up on my touring bike and my road bike (which has a racing saddle so
> no
> > problems with that one of course!)
> >
> > Any help gratefully accepted, my jersey pockets are getting fed up
> carrying
> > my spares!
>
> When I'm not using the Carradice my Jandd seatbag works quite nicely on my B17 and other saddles.
> Are Jandd products sold in the UK? HTH,
> --
> mark

Sadly it would seem not, the products do look good, the shipping from the US looks a bit prohibitive
though (more than the cost of the pack!) Thanks for your advice, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

"Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits OK- I keep buying various
> Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails don't run parallel far enough towards the back
> of the saddle to allow the saddlepacks to be clamped on.

I use a seatpack made a few years ago by Blackburn. Fastening is via a long velcro strap that
goes through the saddle rails, around the pack and back on itself. You can squash the pack
smaller this way.

It normally carries multitool, multi allen keys, spanner, tyre levers,
1/2 spare tubes depending on bike. The front pocket carries money and a spare spd cleat and bolts.

You can store a raincoat by folding it under the strap.

Anything with this method of fastening will fit. It goes on all my bikes.

Kind regards,

Daren

Daren Austin wrote:

> I use a seatpack made a few years ago by Blackburn. Fastening is via a long velcro strap that
> goes through the saddle rails, around the pack and back on itself. You can squash the pack
> smaller this way.

Yep, I have a Trek-badged one which sounds virtually identical. No further fittings required, /but/
it's not very big.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:39:01 +0100, Willowbeauty <[email protected]> wrote:

> Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits OK- I keep buying various
> Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails don't run parallel far enough towards the back
> of the saddle to allow the saddlepacks to be clamped on.

I use a Specialized "Wedgie" on my B17. It attaches to the rails in the middle with a little belt
thingy (so they don't have to be parallel), and to the seatpost with a bit of velcro. I haven't had
any problems with its fit, but you probably don't want to mount an LED blinkie on the reflective
strap on the back - they tend to fall off.

Have a squint at the postage-stamp-sized picture at:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/spec%20wedgie%20index.jpg

--
Andrew Chadwick <We're all in this together

"Andrew Chadwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:39:01 +0100, Willowbeauty <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits
OK-
> > I keep buying various Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails don't run parallel far
> > enough towards the back of the saddle to allow
the
> > saddlepacks to be clamped on.
>
> I use a Specialized "Wedgie" on my B17. It attaches to the rails in the middle with a little belt
> thingy (so they don't have to be parallel), and to the seatpost with a bit of velcro. I haven't
> had any problems with its fit, but you probably don't want to mount an LED blinkie on the
> reflective strap on the back - they tend to fall off.
>
> Have a squint at the postage-stamp-sized picture at:
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/spec%20wedgie%20index.jpg
>
> --
> Andrew Chadwick <We're all in this together>

You sir are a star, I shall be placing my order tomorrow! Many thanks to the other contributors on
this thread too.

Here in the U.S. a company called Rivendell Bicycle Works sells a simple 18"x18" square of waterproof canvas for $3 (about 2 GBP). The user is instructed to lay his tools, coins, keys, ... whatever, on the cloth fold the cloth in from two sides, roll or fold from one of the other two sides, and then strap this packet onto your saddle rails with a toe strap (which you must buy separately). Not only will this hold your stuff but when repairs are necessary you can keep everything on the unfolded cloth and nothing should get lost in the grass.

Very simple but I can't think of a reason why it won't work. If you want to try it you can simply gather the necessary cloth and toe strap, no need to have it sent all the way from Walnut Creek, California.

Bob Taylor

Originally posted by Willowbeauty
Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits OK- I keep buying various
Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails don't run parallel far enough towards the back of
the saddle to allow the saddlepacks to be clamped on.

I don't want to revert to a saddlebag or anything else since I want the same set up on my touring
bike and my road bike (which has a racing saddle so no problems with that one of course!)

Any help gratefully accepted, my jersey pockets are getting fed up carrying my spares!

Willowbeauty <[email protected]> wrote .
> Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits
OK-
> I keep buying various Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails don't run parallel far
> enough towards the back of the saddle to allow the saddlepacks to be clamped on.

I use a small Trek seatpack with a Team Pro. The bracket is clamped to the parallel section of the
rails before they flare out. It doesn't need very much space, and I have my saddle set fairly well
back anyway.

Andrew