Sulphuric Acid to Remove Anodizing on Alu

Simonb

Guest
I want to remove the anodized layer from some aluminium mudguards (as I want
to hammerite them black). Will sulphuric acid do the trick without dmaging
the metal beneath?

Alternatively, can I just spray the hammerite directly on to the anodizing?

Ed

Guest
You are better off spraying directly onto the anodizing using a
primer. Aluminum oxidizes, so generally when you paint it you spray on
an acid etch primer paint first, which will stick to the aluminium
oxide layer.

I would use a normal primer and then paint on the anodizing - just use
some wet and dry to key the surface slightly