Summer heat discourages cycling

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Metro Manila is currently experiencing a very hot summer due to the drought (and maybe also because of global warming). Even at 6am, it is already warm and riding would certainly make you perspire. Riders now seem to have hang up their riding gloves because of the extreme heat. The media is out with a warning everyday for people to take care of themselves against the heat because heat stroke is prevalent.

But amid the deterrents, I still see some cycling groups during weekends. I just hope they don't suffer from heat stroke along the way.

I ride year round. Last year we had a lot of really hot days so what I did was wet my shirt before riding so that it would feel a good 15 degrees cooler than it actually was. I think that's the easiest way to deal with extreme heat when you have to be outside. You can only safely sweat so much, so it you wet your clothes, they can do much more for you in cooling you down.

I have been feeling the same way since the weather conditions are improving quite quickly and therefore I feel less eager to climb on a bike and go for a ride. 20 degrees is still quite comfortable but anything above 30 is just a pain in the ass.

There's another guideline in the nightly tv news last night about the extreme heat conditions. The reporter said that bikers are being discouraged to use their bikes for commuting particularly in the daytime. It seems that everyone's eyes are focused on the heat because this 35 degrees C temperature is torturing us. And the news added that there are several cases where riders landed in the hospital for exhaustion.

Heatshock is something you can't be joking with.

35 celsius is really a high temperature and to exercise while summer is at it's peak can be quite harmful. I think that the best thing to do is avoid sunlight too, because the UV rays can be damaging to your skin around noon time or so.

35 C degrees is pretty high to ride a bike, if you don't use gloves, then you run the risk to catch a slight burn when touching the bike's hot surface. Even nightime are uncomfortably warm. Drought seasons give without a doubt, a very harsh time to bike.

That's why I do my cycling routines in the morning. There are fewer cars to compete with, there are fewer people on the sidewalks blocking your way, the temperature is a lot cooler than in the afternoon, and you get that fresh morning breeze too! Oh, and everyone needs a little vitamin D from time to time, early morning sunlight is a great source of it, so cycling in the morning has so many benefits that it's impossible to resist.

Riding with extreme heat is insane so yeah, better to do it early in the morning or late in the evening or else we will melt.

Cycling under the sun can be very deceptive too actually and can give you a sneaky sunburn. While the sun shizzles your skin the wind blowing in your face from cycling cools you off, so you don't actually feel what's going on until you reach the shade. Then you realise that the heat on your skin isn't going away and it feels tough and sore to the touch.
And that's how you get a sneaky sunburn.
These can range from first to second degree depending on how much skin you show and how deep the burn is. As much as we can cover ourselves in the summer (Because it's hot! How much can you wear anyway?) spots like the back of the neck and the forearms are more likely to get burnt.

We need to be protected from the sun, not to mention the impact that the heat has on our energy levels. So, we need to pick the best hours.

I actually love riding in the heat, even back when I raced I always had better results the hotter it was. I've never been much of a morning rider, and not a fan of below 50 degrees takes my legs to long to get loose. My mileage always goes up as the hotter weather arrives.

I actually love riding in the heat, even back when I raced I always had better results the hotter it was. I've never been much of a morning rider, and not a fan of below 50 degrees takes my legs to long to get loose. My mileage always goes up as the hotter weather arrives.

I feel the same, the summer to me means out on the road at 5:30 without feeling cold!

There are some really hot humid summer days here where it is borderline dangerous to ride. You have to be really careful about staying hydrated on those days. Riding early morning is pretty much the only time it is safe to ride during those heat waves.

Gee, you seem to be the perihelion man in cycling. I wonder where you get the stamina to ignore the heat that your body is absorbing from the sun. And as you said you love riding in the heat, I get the impression that your metabolism works well when your body is heated, literally. What's scary is the heat stroke so I hope you wouldn't experience it.

Different people have different metabolisms, so some can endure more than others. Each one should know their limits.

I tend to ride throughout the year, and I particularly enjoy warm weather. But I will agree that it can be a chore to ride during sweltering hot weather conditions. Nevertheless, I'll always choose to ride during a hot and sunny day versus a windy and/or rainy day.

I tend to ride throughout the year, and I particularly enjoy warm weather. But I will agree that it can be a chore to ride during sweltering hot weather conditions. Nevertheless, I'll always choose to ride during a hot and sunny day versus a windy and/or rainy day.
There is nothing worse that a rainy day. Slick roads combined with getting soaked, I'll definitely take a hot day over that. One good aspect of a hot day is that you will sweat and you will definitely get the feeling that you are getting a good workout in.

I have been feeling the same way since the weather conditions are improving quite quickly and therefore I feel less eager to climb on a bike and go for a ride. 20 degrees is still quite comfortable but anything above 30 is just a pain in the ass.
You are right. 30 degrees and above is very uncomfortable for riding. I prefer 25 degrees as a max limit.

How many degrees do you prefer? I am actually surprised that you enjoy a warm weather.

35 C degrees is pretty high to ride a bike, if you don't use gloves, then you run the risk to catch a slight burn when touching the bike's hot surface. Even nightime are uncomfortably warm. Drought seasons give without a doubt, a very harsh time to bike.
Yes, that is why I love to drive at nighttime as it is warmer than daytime. It feels wonderful.