Summer heat discourages cycling

I cannot drive at night because I get sleepy. Also, riding at night it's not my thing either. I am definitely a morning person.

I cannot drive at night because I get sleepy. Also, riding at night it's not my thing either. I am definitely a morning person.
Nothing jolts you awake like riding at night in crisp cool air. I do see what you mean though. When I'm sleepy in the evening, it's tough to get up to ride.

It's the opposite effect driving and riding at night, at the same time it's not my favorite hour to do it.

There is nothing worse that a rainy day. Slick roads combined with getting soaked, I'll definitely take a hot day over that.

I agree with this sentiment. As much as I hate riding on a very hot day and feeling a little dizzy from the heat and dehydration, I can always slow down, stop in the shade, and drink some water to recuperate. On a rainy day, you are pretty much stuck with getting soaked, traffic issues, possibility of slipping on a slick road while turning, and a bunch of other problems. Not to mention that cars behave way worse when it's raining, so there are a ton of safety issues associated with riding in the rain.

Sure, if I have to compare a rainy day with the summer heat I prefer summer all year long!

When it gets hot you will find me in a car or public transit for transportation. I'll use a stationary in a building with a/c to get exercise. I don't do well cycling in heat anymore. I had a serious heat stroke issue in 2005 and haven't tolerated the heat well ever since.

Well, if you're in the UK then the sunny summer weather is pretty much the only time suitable for riding a bike and that pretty much only lasts a couple of weeks at the most. At least it has done over the last few years. Honestly, it's been a nightmare just waiting for an opportunity to get out on the bike. It rains something like 300+ days a year and there's nothing I hate more than getting soaked in the rain while riding a bike. Unfortunately, the weather is also becoming increasingly worse and has done every year for the last five years. It's getting to the point whereby a chance to go out cycling without getting soaked only comes by once in a blue moon. I'm finding it incredibly annoying.

I can't even imagine life in the UK, cloudy and rainy most of the time, how can you guys make it there? :)

Yep, some areas are terrible to live in, especially for those who love the summer and sunny weather.

Here in the UK, our summer's are very rarely too hot that we can't ride, so in that respect we're quite lucky. When it does get too hot though a lot of cyclists only then realise just how much it can affect your body, and dehydration is probably the most common problem that people have to worry about when riding in hit weather.

I have to disagree with that belief. The best time to bike is in the summer. The heat only affects you when you live in country areas. When you live in city areas, you can feel less heat and see other people bike. Looking at other people bicycling makes you feel more comfortable about your self. In the country, it is a little depressing because the people without cars are usually the poor people. In the city you can catch the bus. The city is where young people belong. Young people do not belong in the country. If you ever get the chance, you should move to a city area.
Metro Manila is currently experiencing a very hot summer due to the drought (and maybe also because of global warming). Even at 6am, it is already warm and riding would certainly make you perspire. Riders now seem to have hang up their riding gloves because of the extreme heat. The media is out with a warning everyday for people to take care of themselves against the heat because heat stroke is prevalent.

But amid the deterrents, I still see some cycling groups during weekends. I just hope they don't suffer from heat stroke along the way.

I have to disagree with that belief. The best time to bike is in the summer. The heat only affects you when you live in country areas. When you live in city areas, you can feel less heat and see other people bike. Looking at other people bicycling makes you feel more comfortable about your self. In the country, it is a little depressing because the people without cars are usually the poor people. In the city you can catch the bus. The city is where young people belong. Young people do not belong in the country. If you ever get the chance, you should move to a city area.

Thank you for the advice. However, I am already past my prime and my body wouldn't agree in what you said about going to the city area. In fact, we live in the suburbs that's 15 kilometers from my place of work. I can ride that distance easily in normal conditions though. But the heat in the Metro can kill me not to mention the heavy traffic and the lack of bike lanes, it would be suicide for me to commute to work.

I live in West Texas, where the temperatures get over 100 degrees regularly during the summer. I try to ride early in the morning or late afternoon, but I have been out when it's been in the 90s. I drink lots of water and things like gatorade to replace fluids, and try to plan my rides where I can stop to replenish them. Sunscreen and long sleeves help protect the skin. I take breaks in the shade on long rides to cool down , too. I had one bad experience with over doing it and getting overheated. I also did a poor job of planning my ride and hadn't eaten properly. I won't make that mistake again. Another thing I do on hot days is I don't push my limit. I'm not going to go balls out, but find a good pace i can maintain that won't put me in a position to suffer heat exhaustion.