Summer in Perthshire

Brian G

Guest
Summer at last came to Perthshire today. I've spent the afternoon cycling
around Strathearn. The hills were rugged, the strath was lush and green and
the buzzards were crying in a clear blue sky. I had the back roads more or
less to myself and the bike whizzed along (well at least at my whizzing
pace) in the silence of good lubrication.

I hope it was as good where you are. (If you were at work, wait till you're
as old as me and you probably won't be :) )

--
Brian G

To reply, replace junk with brian

"Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Summer at last came to Perthshire today. I've spent the afternoon cycling
> around Strathearn. The hills were rugged, the strath was lush and green
> and
> the buzzards were crying in a clear blue sky. I had the back roads more
> or
> less to myself and the bike whizzed along (well at least at my whizzing
> pace) in the silence of good lubrication.
>
> I hope it was as good where you are. (If you were at work, wait till
> you're
> as old as me and you probably won't be :) )
>

> --
> Brian G
>
> To reply, replace junk with brian

Most of the southern softies here don't know these roads. Living here in
Blackford I do, and your a lucky man but tomorow it's my turn but I recon
it'll be sweltering.

On 8/9/04 7:20 pm, in article c4I%[email protected], "bob
watkinson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Summer at last came to Perthshire today. I've spent the afternoon cycling
>> around Strathearn. The hills were rugged, the strath was lush and green
>> and
>> the buzzards were crying in a clear blue sky. I had the back roads more
>> or
>> less to myself and the bike whizzed along (well at least at my whizzing
>> pace) in the silence of good lubrication.
>>
>> I hope it was as good where you are. (If you were at work, wait till
>> you're
>> as old as me and you probably won't be :) )

> Most of the southern softies here don't know these roads. Living here in
> Blackford I do, and your a lucky man but tomorow it's my turn but I recon
> it'll be sweltering.

Fortunately my southern softie friends at the ordnance survey do know the
roads...

As a local though, there is a track marked between the A822 near
Ballachraggan in strathbraan (NN938386) and Little Glenshee (NN984343).

Is this cyclable?

...d

David Martin ([email protected]) wrote:
: As a local though, there is a track marked between the A822 near
: Ballachraggan in strathbraan (NN938386) and Little Glenshee (NN984343).
: Is this cyclable?

I'd be keen to know about that too. There's also a second track from
Ballcraggan to the west of the Glenshee one but it looks steeper.
Blair.

"B.G. Finlay IT Services" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David Martin ([email protected]) wrote:
> : As a local though, there is a track marked between the A822 near
> : Ballachraggan in strathbraan (NN938386) and Little Glenshee (NN984343).
> : Is this cyclable?
>
> I'd be keen to know about that too. There's also a second track from
> Ballcraggan to the west of the Glenshee one but it looks steeper.
> Blair.

I don't know but I'll try to have a look in the next couple of weeks and get
back to you.

bob watkinson > "B.G. Finlay IT Services" <[email protected]> wrote
in message
> news:[email protected]...
> I don't know but I'll try to have a look in the next couple of weeks
> and get back to you.

Snap!

--
Brian G

To reply, replace junk with brian

"bob watkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:9rW%[email protected]...

> "B.G. Finlay IT Services" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> David Martin ([email protected]) wrote:
>> : As a local though, there is a track marked between the A822 near
>> : Ballachraggan in strathbraan (NN938386) and Little Glenshee (NN984343).
>> : Is this cyclable?
>>
>> I'd be keen to know about that too. There's also a second track from
>> Ballcraggan to the west of the Glenshee one but it looks steeper.
>> Blair.

> I don't know but I'll try to have a look in the next couple of weeks and
> get back to you.

Ok Guys, been out to look at this area today. Report as follows: Track is a
public path. Track is very ridable though probably only MTB. You could
possibly use a tourer if you didn't mind giving it some rough treatment.
Surface is mainly grass or hardcore in about 50/50 proportions. Very rough
sections account for about 2% of the route. There is little mud or pools on
the track. There are around five gates along the route and non of them are
locked and all open/close easily. Scenery reminiscent of Teesdale area or
parts of NY Moors. I returned on the western track which is similar to the
track I've just described. As B.G. rightly says though it does have a steep
pull though certainly travelling south here as I was the climb is not
difficult and surface good. Not so many gates along this track either.

Hope this is helpful

Regards, Bob

[...]

Excellent, thanks for that. I stayed on tarmac yesterday, Dundee to
Dunkeld.

Blair.

B.G. Finlay IT Services wrote:

> Excellent, thanks for that. I stayed on tarmac yesterday, Dundee to
> Dunkeld.

The High Road, or the Low Road (over the big hills into the back of
Dunkeld, or along the Tay)?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch ([email protected]) wrote:
: The High Road, or the Low Road (over the big hills into the back of
: Dunkeld, or along the Tay)?

Out by Tullybaccart, Burrelton, Murthly, Pittensorn. Back by Caputh,
Murthly, Coupar Angus, Newtyle. Food stop at Katies, Birnam.

Blair.