summer touring sleeping bag/pad

Frank Riley

Guest
So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get for a
sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)? I'm
leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying find a
synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the rockies, but
won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated for less than 50
degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?

Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on
one of these?

I use a Thermorest 3/4 length Luxury series self-inflating pad. Its very comfortable and reasonably
light...makes loaded touring bearable. I use a relatively cheap Sierra Designs synthetic bag. Its
quite adequate for California Springs and summers. Never had a problem with wet, but I also use a
small, single Eureka tent.

In article <[email protected]>, Frank Riley <[email protected]> wrote:
>So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get for
>a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)? I'm
>leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying find a
>synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible.

I have always used synthetic bags because of price more than anything else so I ended up with a
North Face 35 degree polarguard bag I use for the summer which is ~2 pounds. If it were actually 35
degrees I would be freezing my ass off in that bag, I think it is not "excessively insulated" for
your purposes. I think I paid $80 for it from campmor.com or sierratradingpost.com

GoLite has a 1lb 7oz (size L) 40-degree down bag which is $200 list. See golite.com

--Paul

Frank,

When I rode coast to coast, my accomodations were:
- single person tent w/ fly
- down sleeping bag rated to something like 30 degrees F
- thin rubber mat to sleep on

There were two (2) keys to staying dry:
- a waterproof tent/fly arrangement
- packing the tent + sleeping bag in a plastic garbage bag when riding

I carried the tent + sleeping bag on top of a rear rack, and everything else went into
front paniers.

By the end of the trip I was convinced my system could not have been better...

Have fun.

REgards, Chas.

Frank Riley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get for
> a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)? I'm
> leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying find a
> synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the rockies, but
> won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated for less than 50
> degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on one
> of these?

Frank: Think again about down. With the proper care, the wet factor shouldn't be that bad. I've been
using down for many years for mountaineering, backpacking, and, more recently, bike touring. The
savings in weight and bulk are amazing, especially if you consider a 20 deg. F bag, which should be
all you need for summer touring in the mountains. In terms of pads, my wife and I have had it with
whimpy pads. Thermarest makes some fantastic 2" thick, self-inflating pads. You can get thinner
ones, too. For situations where weight is a concern, go with the "light-foam" option. Any good,
high-end backpacking store should have several models to check out. Lay down on them for a good long
while; experiment with different pressures. Personally, the thinnest I would go would be 1.5 in. As
with bents, try to do a little test riding!

Regards, Scott

Frank Riley wrote:

>So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get for
>a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)? I'm
>leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying find a
>synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the rockies, but
>won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated for less than 50
>degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?
>
>Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on one
>of these?

Frank,

I went coast to coast in 1981 with a North Face down bag and an actual inflatable air mattress- not
a self-inflating foam pad. I had a small, very light tent from Stephens Warmlite. My trip went East
to West, starting in June. The bag was too warm at first, so I bought a twin bed flat sheet at a
department store along the way. I folded the sheet in half and sewed the bottom shut and halfway up
one side, to create a sleep sack. It was great for the warm weather. Once I got to the Rockies, I
needed the down bag.

Get a good tent, and you can use a down bag.

BCD

"Frank Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get for
> a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)? I'm
> leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying find a
> synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the rockies, but
> won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated for less than 50
> degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on one
> of these?

I prefer a 30 degree bag for summer/winter as take off stuff if to warm/ add if to cold, its a mid
temp bag. It rains quite often in the rockies, mainly starting in late afternoon, the temp drops
fast. Just keep a down bag dry, but crawling in a wet synthetic is no joy.

Trailgalore wrote:
> "Frank Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get
>> for a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)?
>> I'm leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying
>> find a synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the
>> rockies, but won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated for
>> less than 50 degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?
>>
>> Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on
>> one of these?
>
> I prefer a 30 degree bag for summer/winter as take off stuff if to warm/ add if to cold, its a mid
> temp bag. It rains quite often in the rockies, mainly starting in late afternoon, the temp drops
> fast. Just keep a down bag dry, but crawling in a wet synthetic is no joy.

It's the humidity that makes a down bag useless. I always use down bags in the snow and Mountains,
but summertime I use synthetics. There is absolutely no reason to have down in a summerbag. Get a
waterproof sack that goes around it and you won't need a tent either.

--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:B%[email protected]...
> Trailgalore wrote:
> > "Frank Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get
> >> for a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)?
> >> I'm leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying
> >> find a synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the
> >> rockies, but won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated
> >> for less than 50 degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on
> >> one of these?
> >
> > I prefer a 30 degree bag for summer/winter as take off stuff if to warm/ add if to cold, its a
> > mid temp bag. It rains quite often in the rockies, mainly starting in late afternoon, the temp
> > drops fast. Just keep a down bag dry, but crawling in a wet synthetic is no joy.
>
> It's the humidity that makes a down bag useless. I always use down bags in the snow and Mountains,
> but summertime I use synthetics. There is
absolutely
> no reason to have down in a summerbag. Get a waterproof sack that goes around it and you won't
> need a tent
either.

Unless you like mosquitos gnawing on your face. The only time this wasn't a problem for me was
along the Pacific coast from Seattle into British Columbia. Perhaps it's this way in the desert
too, but ....

I guess you can use a mosquito net. I'm sure they make them for bivvies. But why avoid a tent? At
least you get the added benefit of a little privacy.

Robin Hubert

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 23:44:06 GMT, Frank Riley <[email protected]> wrote:

>So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get for
>a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)? I'm
>leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying find a
>synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the rockies, but
>won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated for less than 50
>degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?
>
>Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on one
>of these?

You could almost get by with bivy sack. I'd definitly go sythetic- you know you'll get wet.

As for a sleeping pad. I have found that, by far, the best sleeping pad is one of those inflatable
rafts used in swimming pools. It offere enough insulation in warm weather, weighs very little, is
extremely compact, adn is about 500 times more comfortable than those therma rest pads. The
downside: you have to inflate and deflate it everyday. Deflation is a bit more of a PIA, but you can
get some that have a larger valve.

Good luck on your trip!

Bob

I prefer a synthetic bag (REI 40degree) for spring/summer. Still provides warmth when wet (tho'
muggy), and it WILL get wet. Even on rare trips when you don't get it rain wet, cahneces are you get
it damp from perspiration/condensation in your tent (when it's warm or with the rainfly on).

When I am touring, I'm anxious to get going, and rarely want to air out my bag (or tent) till it's
dry. And if you get the chance, you can always stuff it in a dryer.

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:B%[email protected]:

> Trailgalore wrote:
>> "Frank Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get
>>> for a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)?
>>> I'm leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying
>>> find a synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the
>>> rockies, but won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated
>>> for less than 50 degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on
>>> one of these?
>>
>> I prefer a 30 degree bag for summer/winter as take off stuff if to warm/ add if to cold, its a
>> mid temp bag. It rains quite often in the rockies, mainly starting in late afternoon, the temp
>> drops fast. Just keep a down bag dry, but crawling in a wet synthetic is no joy.
>
> It's the humidity that makes a down bag useless. I always use down bags in the snow and Mountains,
> but summertime I use synthetics. There is absolutely no reason to have down in a summerbag. Get a
> waterproof sack that goes around it and you won't need a tent either.

Does humidity really affect a down bag that much? I will be spending several days riding through
Nebraska and Iowa humidity will definitely be a consideration for me.

Frank wrote:

> So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get for
> a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)? I'm
> leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying find a
> synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the rockies, but
> won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated for less than 50
> degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on one
> of these?

I use a lightweight (45 degree? 40 degree??) synthetic bag, and a four-chamber self-inflating
mattress (from WallyWorld). In a July tour in Michigan's upper peninsula I about froze to death,
so I added one of those space blankets to the ballast. Never a problem since. HTH --Karen M.

Frank Riley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get for
> a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)? I'm
> leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying find a
> synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the rockies, but
> won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated for less than 50
> degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on one
> of these?

Kelty makes a nice light synthetic bag called the Light Year 3D, it's 30 deg. Very good value,
good warranty, etc. For down, I have a Kelty Light Year 45deg., weighs next to nothing, good
summer sac. ThermaRest Ultralight 3/4 pad. MountainSmith has some new fancy light bags worth
looking at also. --Jim

Frank Riley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get for
> a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)? I'm
> leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying find a
> synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the rockies, but
> won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated for less than 50
> degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on one
> of these?

i don't have a lot of info on sleeping bags, except to say that i've always used synthetic, due to
cost and tolerance to water. for a sleeping pad, i can highly recommend the thermorest sleeping pad.
it actually uses a combination of foam and air to adjust to your weight. i've got the one i bought
in 1980 and it still works perfectly after many trips on my motorcycle. if you can find space for
it, you will love it! smokey

In article <[email protected]>, Frank Riley <[email protected]> writes:

>So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get for
>a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)? I'm
>leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying find a
>synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the rockies, but
>won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated for less than 50
>degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?

50 F is too light for a sleeping bag for Colorado. A light weight down bag would be perfect for
this, but rated down to freezing (yes, 32 F). The dampness thing is a potential issue, but my wife
and I managed nicely with down bags in Iceland so you should be able to manage with them here in
dry, sunny Colorado. I find that down has a wider comfort range than synthetic. Just be sure to
drape the bag out in the sun often to allow it to loose the previous night's condensation.

>Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on one
>of these?

Yes, a Thermarest ultralight gives me remarkable comfort.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

Frank Riley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> So far, one of the hardest decisions I'm trying to make for my trip this summer is what to get for
> a sleeping bag. Do you guys prefer down (to save weight/size) or synthetic (good when wet)? I'm
> leaning towards synthetic because I'm sure I'll get hit by rain at some point. I'm trying find a
> synthetic bag that is as light and compact as possible. I will be going through the rockies, but
> won't be camping at the top of any passes. I'm thinking I won't need a bag rated for less than 50
> degrees (I'm a hot sleeper). Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I've been looking at one of the 3/4 self-inflatable sleeping pads. Are you guys happy on one
> of these?

A few musings: my experience is in the mountains, but our needs are similar. If it is not going to
be cold (for me, at least 40 degrees at night), my favorite system is a summer synthetic bag with a
tarp for shelter. the polarguard type bags are heavier and harder to stuff than down, as has been
mentioned here. however, in the light weight summer bags a different breed of insulation is often
used, thin thinsulate or primaloft type insulators which better approximate down, IMO. my summer bag
packs, with effort, into a roughly nalgene-sized package with the help of a compression sack. in
full sun, my bag dries from soaked and rung-out to desert-dry in less than an hour. if its just damp
its more like minutes, and just sleeping in it will dry it out in not too long at all.

i am also a big fan of the 3/4 ultralight thermarest. i def think 3/4 is the way to go. your head
usually needs no pad as i use a fleece or other clothing for a pillow, and your feet can rest on
your pack, or if it is warm, need no padding at all. the ultralight weight is fine for me, but i am
a lightweight. ive heard tht heavier folk need a little more cushion to stop the pressure points
from essentially resting on the ground. i also like 3/4 length riderests. much cheaper than
thermarest, but it doesnt pack down. my thermarest gets tiny. like packed it is 6 x 6 x 4" or so.

tarps. for when wind is not a problem, and it is not bitter cold, i am the biggest tarp fan there
is. a lightweight tarp made of coated ripstop nylon weighs nothing. seriously, it weighs as much as
a bivy sack, but you dont sweat your bag out every night, you can cook under it, you can share with
a nother person, and it is far more flexible. it can be a ground cloth for starry nights, has
better ventilation than anything else, can be set up (w/ appropriate lightweight cord) in infintie
ways, and so on and so forth. it takes a day or two, and the right knots, to make it a five minute
set up, but when you have it, it beats a tent for just about all summer use. the downside is bugs.
for this, i always have a bug net which covered me from my waist (for warm nights) to my head. this
was a two dollar half ounce affair made out of no-see-um netting with an elastic drawstring.
touring the midwest plains? if there are no trees around to tie your tarp to, a couple sticks,
short tent poles, or trekking poles will suffice to hold it off the ground. you can get away wiht
just one. tie lines to stick top, then tension to a stake or rock on teh ground. i could go on
about this for hours, but ill quit.

i have no regrets about any of these pieces of gear.

cheers anthony