Summit Measurement Help

Tmornstar

Guest
OK, I know that my measuring calipers are really old and my eyes are not
nearly as keen as they used to be but I do admit that I need a little
help here. I recently stripped a pin from the seat clamp of my Summit
trials uni. I measured the O.D. of the seat tube at 31.2. I contacted
Uni.Com and Bedford looking for a replacement. However, both said that
they cannot find a replacement from any of their distributors. I
contacted Kris Holms - looking for the manufacturer in Asia – but Kris
said that these are off-the-rack- bicycle components and any bicycle
distributor should be able to hook me up, I did a Google search of
clamps only to find a few 31.0mm and even fewer 32.0mm and certainly no
31.2mm.

Can somebody who has access to a Summit, a good set of measurement
calipers and the eyes to read it get me a measurement of the O.D. of the
seat tube at the clamp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

Tommy Thompson
[email protected] (No PMs. please)
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Tmornstar wrote:
> *I contacted Kris Holms - looking for the manufacturer in Asia – but
> Kris said that these are off-the-rack- bicycle components and any
> bicycle distributor should be able to hook me up. Can somebody who has
> access to a Summit, a good set of measurement calipers and the eyes to
> read it get me a measurement of the O.D. of the seat tube at the
> clamp?*

Tommy, regrets that I can't help in the caliper department, but I can
confirm the off-the-rack aspect. I wanted to swap the two-allen-bolt
OEM clamp on my Summit for a quick release, and was able to pick up
one--a Salsa I believe--at my LBS. Maybe just drag your Summit in with
you and you can test what they have right there?

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

yeah, like my main man Tom says. the summit seat tube is a standard
size..just bring it to a shop and im sure they will have a clamp that
fits. if you go with a single bolt clamp make sure it is a big bolt with
a 6mm hex key at least. dont go with anything that has less than a 5mm
hex key bolt. the ones with the 4mm hex bolts are easily stripped.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

Tim's main man.
-Forget_Your_Life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

markf wrote:
> *isn't that measured inner diameter? *

not a seat no...

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

Tim's main man.
-Forget_Your_Life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

or sould i say " no not a seat tube, no"

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

Tim's main man.
-Forget_Your_Life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Thanks, guys.

Knowing that one of the Salsa clamps will fit gives me hope. That Salsa
clamp comes in 31mm and 32mm. I have tried the "Hi guys, I need a seat
clamp" routine - with no success. That is why I wanted the measurement
so that I could expand my search without actually having to be there in
the shop with my uni .

The quest continues.

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

Tommy Thompson
[email protected] (No PMs. please)
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

If I remember correctly, the inside diameter is 29.2mm and the outside
is 30.7mm. I'm actually not sure on the inside, because with the above
figures, that leaves a frame thickness of .75mm. But then I never
measured the frame thickness, and three quarters of a mm sounds really
small. I have a KH post (27.2) and a shim, so maybe those numbers are
correct. I am pretty sure on the 30.7mm because that's what Darren told
me and that's also what the bike shop told me they couldn't get. I was
lucky enough to have the previous owner send me the clamp.

Good luck.

--
Sigurd - Street/trials unicyclist....kinda
Sigurd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6801

It feels like it is time for me to call Steve Howard. I may need start
with a block-o-aluminum and just make one. With all the time that I've
lost looking for a clamp I could have made one. At least it is winter
and not cutting into my riding time as much as it would have in
September.

Urrhhh!

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

Tommy Thompson
[email protected] (No PMs. please)
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

I finally found a seat clamp that will fit my beloved Summit. Though it
is only a single bolt clamp it is holding firm. FYI: The seat clamp
size that fits was marked as 31.8mm.
Tommy