Summit Measurement Help

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Tmornstar, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    OK, I know that my measuring calipers are really old and my eyes are not
    nearly as keen as they used to be but I do admit that I need a little
    help here. I recently stripped a pin from the seat clamp of my Summit
    trials uni. I measured the O.D. of the seat tube at 31.2. I contacted
    Uni.Com and Bedford looking for a replacement. However, both said that
    they cannot find a replacement from any of their distributors. I
    contacted Kris Holms - looking for the manufacturer in Asia – but Kris
    said that these are off-the-rack- bicycle components and any bicycle
    distributor should be able to hook me up, I did a Google search of
    clamps only to find a few 31.0mm and even fewer 32.0mm and certainly no
    31.2mm.

    Can somebody who has access to a Summit, a good set of measurement
    calipers and the eyes to read it get me a measurement of the O.D. of the
    seat tube at the clamp?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

    Tommy Thompson
    [email protected] (No PMs. please)
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    Please vist our web site:
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  2. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    Tmornstar wrote:
    > *I contacted Kris Holms - looking for the manufacturer in Asia – but
    > Kris said that these are off-the-rack- bicycle components and any
    > bicycle distributor should be able to hook me up. Can somebody who has
    > access to a Summit, a good set of measurement calipers and the eyes to
    > read it get me a measurement of the O.D. of the seat tube at the
    > clamp?*

    Tommy, regrets that I can't help in the caliper department, but I can
    confirm the off-the-rack aspect. I wanted to swap the two-allen-bolt
    OEM clamp on my Summit for a quick release, and was able to pick up
    one--a Salsa I believe--at my LBS. Maybe just drag your Summit in with
    you and you can test what they have right there?

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  3. jagur

    jagur Guest

    yeah, like my main man Tom says. the summit seat tube is a standard
    size..just bring it to a shop and im sure they will have a clamp that
    fits. if you go with a single bolt clamp make sure it is a big bolt with
    a 6mm hex key at least. dont go with anything that has less than a 5mm
    hex key bolt. the ones with the 4mm hex bolts are easily stripped.

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    Tim's main man.
    -Forget_Your_Life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  4. markf

    markf Guest

    isn't that measured inner diameter? so possibly a 31mm? as others have
    said, go to bike shop, say "I need a new clamp for my unicycle." someone
    should be able to help you out.

    --
    markf - movie nerd

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  5. jagur

    jagur Guest

    markf wrote:
    > *isn't that measured inner diameter? *

    not a seat no...

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    Tim's main man.
    -Forget_Your_Life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  6. jagur

    jagur Guest

    or sould i say " no not a seat tube, no"

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    Tim's main man.
    -Forget_Your_Life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  7. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    Thanks, guys.

    Knowing that one of the Salsa clamps will fit gives me hope. That Salsa
    clamp comes in 31mm and 32mm. I have tried the "Hi guys, I need a seat
    clamp" routine - with no success. That is why I wanted the measurement
    so that I could expand my search without actually having to be there in
    the shop with my uni .

    The quest continues.

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

    Tommy Thompson
    [email protected] (No PMs. please)
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    Please vist our web site:
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  8. Sigurd

    Sigurd Guest

    If I remember correctly, the inside diameter is 29.2mm and the outside
    is 30.7mm. I'm actually not sure on the inside, because with the above
    figures, that leaves a frame thickness of .75mm. But then I never
    measured the frame thickness, and three quarters of a mm sounds really
    small. I have a KH post (27.2) and a shim, so maybe those numbers are
    correct. I am pretty sure on the 30.7mm because that's what Darren told
    me and that's also what the bike shop told me they couldn't get. I was
    lucky enough to have the previous owner send me the clamp.

    Good luck.

    --
    Sigurd - Street/trials unicyclist....kinda
    Sigurd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6801

  9. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    It feels like it is time for me to call Steve Howard. I may need start
    with a block-o-aluminum and just make one. With all the time that I've
    lost looking for a clamp I could have made one. At least it is winter
    and not cutting into my riding time as much as it would have in
    September.

    Urrhhh!

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

    Tommy Thompson
    [email protected] (No PMs. please)
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    Please vist our web site:
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  10. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    I finally found a seat clamp that will fit my beloved Summit. Though it
    is only a single bolt clamp it is holding firm. FYI: The seat clamp
    size that fits was marked as 31.8mm.
    Tommy