sun bicycle speedster

Hi,

I just bought a new speedster sx today. While riding it, I noticed that it clunks when my right pedal (chainring side) is at its fullest extension. I took it back to the store. The mechanic rode it around, thought it was the pedals, changed them, moved the chain guide under the seat forward, and finally concluded that the problem was inherent in the bike chain. (He was an authorized Sun dealer). I rode it for about 6 miles today. The clunk is very noticeable. I thought it might be the bottom bracket, but it only happens when I'm pushing hard on the pedals (straining the drivetrain). It doesn't clunk when I'm pedaling lightly (so the bb is okay).
Have you had this problem or heard of this before? If so, can you suggest a solution. I love the bike otherwise save for the clunking (a thud that seems to come from the crank but shakes the whole bike) with every revolution of the pedals.

any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

commutrain said:
Hi,

I just bought a new speedster sx today. While riding it, I noticed that it clunks when my right pedal (chainring side) is at its fullest extension. I took it back to the store. The mechanic rode it around, thought it was the pedals, changed them, moved the chain guide under the seat forward, and finally concluded that the problem was inherent in the bike chain. (He was an authorized Sun dealer). I rode it for about 6 miles today. The clunk is very noticeable. I thought it might be the bottom bracket, but it only happens when I'm pushing hard on the pedals (straining the drivetrain). It doesn't clunk when I'm pedaling lightly (so the bb is okay).
Have you had this problem or heard of this before? If so, can you suggest a solution. I love the bike otherwise save for the clunking (a thud that seems to come from the crank but shakes the whole bike) with every revolution of the pedals.

any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Pop the crankarm's dust caps and check the bolt which holds each arm on. Will probably require a 14mm socket.

cjengineer said:
Pop the crankarm's dust caps and check the bolt which holds each arm on. Will probably require a 14mm socket.
Hey cjengineer,
I actually already did that. Did it with a torque wrench to 600lb-ft. Won't tighten anymore. Already determined that it's not in the crank. My two bets are either the bb or the chain for some reason is twanging.

Anyone know of a knowledgeable Sun dealer in Colorado? I'm thinking of taking it in to get checked out by a better mechanic than the one at the store I bought it at.

commutrain said:
Hey cjengineer,
I actually already did that. Did it with a torque wrench to 600lb-ft. Won't tighten anymore. Already determined that it's not in the crank. My two bets are either the bb or the chain for some reason is twanging.

Anyone know of a knowledgeable Sun dealer in Colorado? I'm thinking of taking it in to get checked out by a better mechanic than the one at the store I bought it at.
I doubt you put 600lb-ft on a crank bolt since it's rated to no more than about 35 lb-ft. No matter.

1. Verify no cracks in the arms by looking at the inside of each crankarm near the BB spindle. (The fastners may be tight, but if the arm is damaged, you won't be able to tighten it).

2. Unwrap the chain from the chainrings (without removing it completely from the bike, then feel for ANY lateral movement. There should be NONE, but the crank should spin freely and without drag.

3. The power you feed to the chain comes from BOTH legs, so if your symtoms are correct, then the chain is probably fine.

4. Also, it wouldn't hurt to check the chainring bolts too.

Your crankset and BB are standard, off the shelf "bike" parts, so ANY competent LBS can easily find and repair as necessary.

Thanks cjengineer,

I checked it all out as you said. The arms had no cracks. The chain was fine. The chainrings were on tight. It turns out that the bottom bracket had some bad bearings. As soon as I replaced the bb, the knock went away. Now I can get on to some serious riding. Thanks for all your help!

fyi: Any and All Bikes in Denver, CO who sold me the bike was no help at all. Westend Cycling & Fitness in Lakewood really took the time to help me out.

KiltedWolf said:
Here is a pic of my bike! I just installed the mirror and flags and lock holder...

Ok, not too exciting I admit, but this is the first bike I have purchased in 41 years of living...:rolleyes:

Really looking forward to my Shimano sandals coming from REI...

KW
Im interested in buying the speedster as well. . .Ive heard theyve been discontinued for 06 - Is that true? . . .Im planning to test ride this comming tuesday July 19 on a speedster that is aparently a few years old. Depending on how old the bike is, I would imagine the age reflects the price I can expect to pay? Whats the quickest way to determine what year the model is? I understand there are three different grades for the speedster sx, cx, and somthing else. . .are the different models allways the same color regardless of the year (blue, silver, white) ?

bent-head-greg said:
Im interested in buying the speedster as well. . .Ive heard theyve been discontinued for 06 - Is that true? . . .Im planning to test ride this comming tuesday July 19 on a speedster that is aparently a few years old. Depending on how old the bike is, I would imagine the age reflects the price I can expect to pay? Whats the quickest way to determine what year the model is? I understand there are three different grades for the speedster sx, cx, and somthing else. . .are the different models allways the same color regardless of the year (blue, silver, white) ?
Yes discontinued by Sun, the competition for swb recumbents must have been too fierce. Mine was purchased this spring, it is the 05 model. The suggested price is $1499 I think. As the news of Sun not making them for 06 got our the price went down. I got a good price on mine, but have moved on to a trike. Try it survice bad knees, shoulders and a bad back. It is a good bike with good components, sram x9 rear deraillure and x9 shifters. The 100lb Kenda Kwest tires, very durable. My bike has rear carrier, speedo, mirror, and kickstand as extras. The seat is comfortable and this bike has many adjustments for positions. Cant imagine anyone not being able to ride.

Rusty Brown

bikingarcola said:
Yes discontinued by Sun, the competition for swb recumbents must have been too fierce. Mine was purchased this spring, it is the 05 model. The suggested price is $1499 I think. As the news of Sun not making them for 06 got our the price went down. I got a good price on mine, but have moved on to a trike. Try it survice bad knees, shoulders and a bad back. It is a good bike with good components, sram x9 rear deraillure and x9 shifters. The 100lb Kenda Kwest tires, very durable. My bike has rear carrier, speedo, mirror, and kickstand as extras. The seat is comfortable and this bike has many adjustments for positions. Cant imagine anyone not being able to ride.

Rusty Brown
By the way yes, a sx, cx and an ax. Mine is an ax model.

bikingarcola said:

thanks for the info. Bikingarcola. . .I look forward to test riding it tue. . .any negatives youve personaly discoverd about the speedster?. . .Ive heard its rather heavy (which wouldnt be all that nice since I most often have to lift it to the car top carriers - but I guess Ill see that tue):D

bent-head-greg said:
bikingarcola said:

thanks for the info. Bikingarcola. . .I look forward to test riding it tue. . .any negatives youve personaly discoverd about the speedster?. . .Ive heard its rather heavy (which wouldnt be all that nice since I most often have to lift it to the car top carriers - but I guess Ill see that tue):D
Yes it is a bit heavy but if yu want light you will have to pay for it. I just rode mine on a 40 mile ride. Avged 14.25mph not bad for the heat today. It would be perfect for a touring bike. It is tough as they come, some things could be changed to lose some wt. Maybe different cranks, chain, and seat could be lighted I think with a little thought. Good luck. Rusty

bent-head-greg said:
The Sun SWB Speedster was originally designed by Gabriel DeVault, shortly after Easy Racer owner Gardner Martin died. Althought built like a tank, it suffers poor handling and cramped ergonomics. The absents of trail and lack of tiller means this bike's handling is squirrelly and overly sensitive at nearly any speed. Less than a year after the bike hit the market, Sun (J&B Importers) received numerous complaints its unplesant attributes. So many in fact, the Speedster was eventually dropped from production. I would encourage perspective buyers (especially firsttime owners) to test ride this bike extensivly BEFORE buying.

cjengineer said:
The Sun SWB Speedster was originally designed by Gabriel DeVault, shortly after Easy Racer owner Gardner Martin died. Althought built like a tank, it suffers poor handling and cramped ergonomics. The absents of trail and lack of tiller means this bike's handling is squirrelly and overly sensitive at nearly any speed. Less than a year after the bike hit the market, Sun (J&B Importers) received numerous complaints its unplesant attributes. So many in fact, the Speedster was eventually dropped from production. I would encourage perspective buyers (especially firsttime owners) to test ride this bike extensivly BEFORE buying.
I wouldnt disagree with this assesment entirely, but for a seasoned bike rider it does serve a purpose and can be ridden. My experience has been that it took a while to get used to. Now it is not a problem to ride, if the handlebars are in line with the front fork and the seat in the most upright position it handles very well for me. Then from there tweek your position. It wouldnt do for a first bike and maybe not as a first recumbent for someone who has not ridden a lot of miles. It has worked for me and I still think it would make a good touring recumbent, as stated above it is built like a tank with good components. Besides who wrote the above article?? The bentrideronline gives it a decent review and as with all reviews I would prefer to try the bike in question myself. There are many socalled experts with there own opinion, but most opionions do not cover all riders and thier needs.

cjengineer said:
You can start here first: http://mnhpva.org/Meetings/2005/aug_05/pages/12.html

1.) when a publication such as bentrideronline gives a review of a paying advertiser's product on the same site, do you really think the reviewer is being entirely honest?

2.) were you aware that BROL is an Easy Racer sponsor?

Thank you all for some very good input. I will defonetly take it all into consideration. I do still figure a test ride shouldnt hurt too much (depending on how squirly - I am new to recumbents).

bent-head-greg said:
Thank you all for some very good input. I will defonetly take it all into consideration. I do still figure a test ride shouldnt hurt too much (depending on how squirly - I am new to recumbents).
When you ride it line the handlebars up with the front forks and the seat in the most upright position you can. This will make the bike more stable to ride. Relax the shoulders and back, just ride it easy. Put enought power in the pedels to keep you upright. Just remember, if you havnt riden a bent before. The front wheel is under you and not in front of you. This and relaxing was the hardest things to remember. Good Luck

bikingarcola said:
Well I can ride it if the experts cant.
Some rear wheel steering bikes (RWS), have in fact, been ridden, when the "experts" claimed they could not be - but usually at the expense of numerous hospital visits.

cjengineer said:
Some rear wheel steering bikes (RWS), have in fact, been ridden, when the "experts" claimed they could not be - but usually at the expense of numerous hospital visits.
This sun ax is not a rws bike!