Sun Protection Whilst Riding?

Nah, guys. That seems a little bit crazy. I can get it when I'm going to the beach. But... riding, simple riding? Never thought of that, really. Usually, If it's hot, I don't wear anything dark and I put on my shades.

while the higher the UPF rated clothing does block more sun it will also be hotter. Also if you're worried about your neck burning there are skull caps that you wear under your helmet that has a "drape" that covers the neck, see: http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Headband...01CR9FHU4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 This is just one example of such stuff. The face will rarely get burned while riding but if that bothers you you can get something like this too which also protects the neck: https://www.adventurecycling.org/cyclosource-store/apparel/sp/da-brim-sporty-helmet-visor/

Yes, covering up is the best way. Sometimes the sunscreen is not good for you anyway. The lighter the skin the more prone to burning. I'm pretty light. Burn a little but then get really dark. I don't really let myself tan anymore. It's not that good for you.

Yes, covering up is the best way. Sometimes the sunscreen is not good for you anyway. The lighter the skin the more prone to burning. I'm pretty light. Burn a little but then get really dark. I don't really let myself tan anymore. It's not that good for you.

some tanning is good for you, just not over doing it. The body needs vitamin D from the sun, but riding a bike is not like lying down at the beach for even an hour, as you ride most of the body is never in full direct contact with the rays, they are at various angles which change all the time as the road turns. Laying on the beach for an hour would be like riding a bike for 5 hours in direct sunlight.

I get enough sun on the bike to have pretty well defined cyclists' tan lines. :D

However, I'm pretty dark complexioned for a white dude (half Italian, and part Huron on dad's side), so I don't use sun screen much. I've never had a bad sunburn, even when I've gone to semi-tropical places like Florida and Hawaii.

I get enough sun on the bike to have pretty well defined cyclists' tan lines. :D

However, I'm pretty dark complexioned for a white dude (half Italian, and part Huron on dad's side), so I don't use sun screen much. I've never had a bad sunburn, even when I've gone to semi-tropical places like Florida and Hawaii.

Like I said in a much earlier post, I don't use sunscreen either when riding because I found it made me feel hotter, plus the sweat would wash it away in less than an hour anyways, but I don't burn easily either. I do wear sunscreen if I'm out on the water like fishing etc, but I'm not working out either so it won't wash away with constant sweating, and it doesn't feel hot then either.

I mainly wear generic sun glasses for my eyes and that helps a lot. For the rest, specialized sun burn proof cycling clothes does the trick as well.