Sun rim and spoke hole 'handedness'

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Daniel, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    I'm getting set to lace up a Sun rim- Assault. This is an aero shaped rim (although short) so the
    surface which has the spoke holes is narrow- wide enough for the eyelet and that's it.

    http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/ROAD/Rims/images/Assault.jpg

    Looking at the spoke holes, I cannot see that alternate holes are tilted to one side or the other.
    The Sun web site shows a 5 degree tilt to one side but I can't pick this up

    Any tricks to confirming which way a spoke hole is tilted?

    Tags:

  2. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:44:00 -0800, Dan Daniel
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm getting set to lace up a Sun rim- Assault. This is an aero shaped rim (although short) so the
    >surface which has the spoke holes is narrow- wide enough for the eyelet and that's it.
    >
    >http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/ROAD/Rims/images/Assault.jpg
    >
    >Looking at the spoke holes, I cannot see that alternate holes are tilted to one side or the other.
    >The Sun web site shows a 5 degree tilt to one side but I can't pick this up
    >
    >Any tricks to confirming which way a spoke hole is tilted?

    Often in pointed rims like the Assault the spoke hole that goes through the tire well will have most
    of the lateral displacement.

    In that case, the holes in the tire well that are toward the left of the rim should contain spokes
    connecting to the right hub flange.

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "dianne_1234" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:44:00 -0800, Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm getting set to lace up a Sun rim- Assault. This is an aero shaped rim (although short) so the
    > >surface which has the spoke holes is narrow- wide enough for the eyelet and that's it.
    > >
    > >http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/ROAD/Rims/images/Assault.jpg
    > >
    > >Looking at the spoke holes, I cannot see that alternate holes are tilted to one side or the
    > >other. The Sun web site shows a 5 degree tilt to one side but I can't pick this up
    > >
    > >Any tricks to confirming which way a spoke hole is tilted?
    >
    > Often in pointed rims like the Assault the spoke hole that goes through the tire well will have
    > most of the lateral displacement.
    >
    > In that case, the holes in the tire well that are toward the left of the rim should contain spokes
    > connecting to the right hub flange.

    I think what is trying to be said is to flip the rim over so you're looking into the bead area. The
    holes should be offset more noticeably here. If the hole's on the left, spoke comes out on the
    right, etc.

    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, its been awhile since I've had to resort to this...

    Mike

  4. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Dan Daniel writes:

    > I'm getting set to lace up a Sun rim- Assault. This is an aero shaped rim (although short) so the
    > surface which has the spoke holes is narrow- wide enough for the eyelet and that's it.

    http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/ROAD/Rims/images/Assault.jpg

    > Looking at the spoke holes, I cannot see that alternate holes are tilted to one side or the other.
    > The Sun web site shows a 5 degree tilt to one side but I can't pick this up

    > Any tricks to confirming which way a spoke hole is tilted?

    From the web site you cite, the eyelet offset is to the inside (bed of the rim) and not visible on
    the outside. Eyelets offset to the left in the bed of the rim are angles for right side spokes and
    conversely.

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  5. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:35:45 -0600, dianne_1234
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:44:00 -0800, Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm getting set to lace up a Sun rim- Assault. This is an aero shaped rim (although short) so the
    >>surface which has the spoke holes is narrow- wide enough for the eyelet and that's it.
    >>
    >>http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/ROAD/Rims/images/Assault.jpg
    >>
    >>Looking at the spoke holes, I cannot see that alternate holes are tilted to one side or the other.
    >>The Sun web site shows a 5 degree tilt to one side but I can't pick this up
    >>
    >>Any tricks to confirming which way a spoke hole is tilted?
    >
    >Often in pointed rims like the Assault the spoke hole that goes through the tire well will have
    >most of the lateral displacement.
    >
    >In that case, the holes in the tire well that are toward the left of the rim should contain spokes
    >connecting to the right hub flange.

    Aha. So I can't see this visually, and take some measurement. Lo and behold, a hole is offset half a
    millimeter to one side. Just to be sure, I check the next hole. Offset half a millimeter- to the
    same side!!!!!!

    Going around the inside, looks as if there is a slight wobble in the inner hole location, but that
    it won't tell me if the actual spoke hole is offset.

    I wonder if the 5 degree tilt shown on the web site is for the newer version. I have an unwelded
    rim, which I assume is older. Maybe it doesn't have an offset or tilt.

    I'll drop some spokes through and let them hang- maybe gravity will tell me which way they are
    tilted, if at all.

  6. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:13:46 GMT, [email protected]
    wrote:

    >Dan Daniel writes:
    >
    >> I'm getting set to lace up a Sun rim- Assault. This is an aero shaped rim (although short) so the
    >> surface which has the spoke holes is narrow- wide enough for the eyelet and that's it.
    >
    >http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/ROAD/Rims/images/Assault.jpg
    >
    >> Looking at the spoke holes, I cannot see that alternate holes are tilted to one side or the
    >> other. The Sun web site shows a 5 degree tilt to one side but I can't pick this up
    >
    >> Any tricks to confirming which way a spoke hole is tilted?
    >
    >From the web site you cite, the eyelet offset is to the inside (bed of the rim) and not visible on
    >the outside. Eyelets offset to the left in the bed of the rim are angles for right side spokes and
    >conversely.
    >
    >Jobst Brandt [email protected]

    And if there is no inner offset? Taking calipers to those holes, any offset is to the same side for
    adjoining holes.

    This is an unwelded rim, which I take to be an older version than what is shown on the web site.
    Maybe this model had no offset.

  7. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:12:47 -0800, "Mike S." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"dianne_1234" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:44:00 -0800, Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm getting set to lace up a Sun rim- Assault. This is an aero shaped rim (although short) so
    >> >the surface which has the spoke holes is narrow- wide enough for the eyelet and that's it.
    >> >
    >> >http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/ROAD/Rims/images/Assault.jpg
    >> >
    >> >Looking at the spoke holes, I cannot see that alternate holes are tilted to one side or the
    >> >other. The Sun web site shows a 5 degree tilt to one side but I can't pick this up
    >> >
    >> >Any tricks to confirming which way a spoke hole is tilted?
    >>
    >> Often in pointed rims like the Assault the spoke hole that goes through the tire well will have
    >> most of the lateral displacement.
    >>
    >> In that case, the holes in the tire well that are toward the left of the rim should contain
    >> spokes connecting to the right hub flange.
    >
    >I think what is trying to be said is to flip the rim over so you're looking into the bead area. The
    >holes should be offset more noticeably here. If the hole's on the left, spoke comes out on the
    >right, etc.
    >
    >Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, its been awhile since I've had to resort to this...
    >
    >Mike

    That's what I hear. If you continued a spoke an extra inch, say, to the outside, one tilted to the
    right would emerge further to the left at the outer diameter. The idea being that the inner rim hole
    for the spoke nipple would be offset with a center point matching this 'leftward' spoke tilt.

  8. Hugh Fenton

    Hugh Fenton Guest

    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:13:46 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >Dan Daniel writes:
    > >
    > >> I'm getting set to lace up a Sun rim- Assault. This is an aero shaped rim (although short) so
    > >> the surface which has the spoke holes is narrow- wide enough for the eyelet and that's it.

    Any reason you cant just thicken up a spoke with tape, insert, and the natural position of the spoke
    would give you the answer???

    Hugh Fenton

  9. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:50:13 +0100, "Hugh Fenton" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]ax.com...

    >Any reason you cant just thicken up a spoke with tape, insert, and the natural position of the
    >spoke would give you the answer???
    >
    >Hugh Fenton

    Sounds like a method worth trying. Thanks. SInce I already built up the rim, I'll remember this
    suggestion if I have the problem again.

    I never did decide which, if any, holes were for left or right. Threading spokes in and letting them
    hang, swing, pulling them around, trying to feel as angle- nothing visual or by feel made me think
    that any one hole was left or right.

    So I just went with what has worked before- the second hole clockwise from the valve for the 'right'
    pull and one right behind it for the 'left' pull, based on 'right' being where I could read the rim
    label from the right side of the bike. If spokes start breaking and it looks like using the wrong
    holes is the problem, I'll know that I had it wrong?

  10. BaCardi

    BaCardi New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2003