sun screen

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by ryan_velo, Aug 3, 2004.

1. ryan_velo

ryan_velo New Member

i was just wondering if any of you wear sunscreen while cycling, I never do.

Tags:

2. hippy

hippy New Member

Yes, it's compulsory during an aussie summer unless you like constant
    pain from blistering skin and eventual death from skin cancer.

hippy

3. ryan_velo

ryan_velo New Member

im pretty well coverd with my jersy and shorts but i never get burned, just a good tan

4. Jeffonyourleft

Jeffonyourleft New Member

Skin cancer is a bad thing. Cant hurt to protect yourself a little. You wear a helmet to protect your head dont you? Also, sunburn is painful.

5. Goosebeak

Goosebeak New Member

Problem is, I remember the helmet very easily - the sunscreen I remember when the sun starts beating down. I reckon I must get myself one of those little bottles of spray-on sunscreen and keep it in my tubby.....

6. gdiza

gdiza New Member

I dont hey...
    never thought about it either.
    hmmmm if i remember next long day cycle, i'll put some on.

7. majorhavoc

majorhavoc New Member

Same here in Florida. My best friend has these really ugly scars on his left arm from having melanoma removed. That's all the reminder I need. In Florida thats how you tell the natives from the tourists. The tourists all have sunburns.

8. Trekker2017

Trekker2017 New Member

I frequently wear some on my arms and legs and have found the Hawaiian Tropic products very good. I've tried to wear sunscreen on my face but since I sweat profusely, it kept getting in my eyes so I've stopped. I was told to put the screen on twenty minutes before the ride so it gets a chance to soak in and not be sweated off.

9. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

I wear SPF45. Doesn't help my farmers tan, but it keeps me unburnt.

10. gearshift

gearshift New Member

I always wear sunscreen on parts of my body that aren't covered if I'm ouside. I had an uncle who had skin cancer and I've just heard too many bad things about it. I don't really mind the sunscreen either...

11. RC2

RC2 New Member

Yep, riding in high altitude (6k'), sunscreen is a must. Gotta protect yourself.

12. jtfleming

jtfleming New Member

I use the stuff with bug spray included, but I don't put it above my eyes.

13. drewjc

drewjc New Member

I dont normally wear it although i know i probably should. I cant stand the sticky sensation that it leaves once i start to sweat. If i do put some on it normally only goes on the tip of my nose wear my glasses dont cover (and possibly on my ears), that way it cant get in my eyes.

14. Bunyip

Bunyip New Member

I usually cycle in a spaghetti tank top so I use sunscreen to stop my skin going all leathery though I still manage to tan. I've been really pleased with the Coppertone Sports stuff. I'm not really sure if there's a high UV danger here in Boston but growing up in Queensland, Australia, you are definitely taught about the dangers of skin cancer and the slip, slop, slap philosophy from a young age!

Jess :)

15. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

Bullfrog- always, especially after putting two dear friends in the ground after the Melanoma got to their brains (did not look like fun). I started with Bullfrog because it doesn't sweat off, and even when I am skateboarding in empty swimming pools (a highly reflective surface) I never get burned. It's good stuff and could save your life- skin cancer (and the DNA UV radiation affects) doesn't care how tan you are
    Bull frog is not sticky or lotion-y, so us guys can dig it, and there is no smell

The UV danger in Australia is higher...I have some exchange students who won't even go outside without hats- at least they have learned a good habit

16. majorhavoc

majorhavoc New Member

I use sunscreen every time I ride. The worst part is the bugs/sand/road debris that sticks to your shins. But while you're drinking your post-ride beverage, you can sit and analyze your "collection"....

17. pineapple

pineapple New Member

I hadn't really thought about it before, but come to think of it I really should be wearing sunscreen while riding. Thanks for bringing this up everyone.

18. KakenBetaal

KakenBetaal New Member

Yeah I use sunscreen, I hate it when you forget and get sunburnt. That reminds me, what do you do about the sunburn double W that a Giro Pneumo leaves on your head? That's worse than farmers tan IMO because it's right there on your forehead.

19. Claes

Claes New Member

Fekk, be proud of you farmers tan, it shows you are not some beach poser, but an active person. :)

20. concord

concord Member

I never leave home with out it. Plus it seems to keep me a little bit cooler.