Sunday race in Virginia...deer crash

this video was posted in an online newspaper that i read often,

My area is infested with the beautiful pests. I chased a dozen out of my yard the other night. I see them all the time when cycling. Most of the time when I see them they are just grazing on the flowers and such. I did very briefly cycle next to one that was trotting along... at 20 mph. Fast enough to hurt.

We got 2" of wet snow last night during the Snowquester. This morning I damned near slid into two of the stupid 4-legged rodents that were standing in the road with that...deer in the headlights look!

Yesterday afternoon I got in a 20-miler before the weather took a **** and...one of the bastards sprinted across the road right in front of me.

Ohio has upped our tag numbers and increased the length of hunting season (bow, shotgun/handgun and primitive weapon/muzzle loader), but we can't kill enough of the things...and the body shops make a hell of a living repairing deer collision damage around here.

The Cleveland burbs are constantly fighting an internal war between the hippies that want to feed the pests and the folks that are tired of having their landscaping eaten and their cars demolished. The urban deer are big and fat! Some of the burbs hire sharpshooters with night vision scopes and sound suppressors to shoot the nocturnal bastards after dark...poor hippies can't stand the thought of Bambi getting blown away. The meat gets donated to the homeless shelters.

Sounds like you guys need to start shooting the hippies, Bob!

I was just about to that point when I found out my neighbors (I live in a neighborhood that gets city services, but is outside city limits in a wooded area) were feeding raccoons. Gaaah! I dispatched 5 of the infernal critters one summer--a momma (BIG momma; at least 25-30 pounds) and 4 of her chilluns) in about a 2-week span. Momma was next to the house, sneaked up on her, then I got two little guys in one of my trash cans (that can now has drain holes...). One I got in a tree across the street (ever shoot straight up?), and I forget how/where I got the last one.

"(ever shoot straight up?)"

Yes. Squirrels. Never did any night spotlighting of coons, but I have shot a few that wandered into my live traps.

Bastages think the catfood belongs to them! You're correct, some of those coons are FAT and heavy. I got a fat momma last summer also, but the kiddies all scampered away in the rapidly fading evening light. They haven't returned...yet.

The 'burb wars over the urban deer are hysterical to read about. Actual fist fights have broken out at council meetings. Hippies gone wild! Who knew? The herd in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park is out of control. They eat everything in sight and then wander into the surrounding burbs, where the whacktards put out feeders for the bambis. Next thing you know, helos with snipers and night time sniper teams are freaking the libtards out and dropping deer in back yards!

Since the rifles are suppressed, no one is the wiser until daylight when the carcass collection teams come out to get the meat for the homeless shelters. Then, the weirdos start dialing up their councilmen and *****ing up a storm. I've hunted deer since I was a kid and the absolute largest deer I've seen was a huge buck that ran across 6 lanes of I271 on the East side of Cleveland.

I didn't even have to spotlight the dang things. I was using a .22 bolt-action rifle with subsonic rounds in it. I have a lever-action pellet gun that is louder. No joke.

I really should talk to some of the property owners within about a half mile of me. I regularly see HERDS of deer on their harvested corn fields--upwards of 2 dozen at times. I've had a few close calls as I drove past (and one not-as-close call on the bicycle), and I don't take that route at dusk any more.

"I was using a .22 bolt-action rifle with subsonic rounds in it."

Calibris? Aguilla? I've got suppressors, but frankly using something like Wolf Match Target Standard Velocity (1070 FPS) and an Anschutz with a 26" bbl. the suppressors aren't necessay. If you're in a slightly more populated area, nothing is more respectful of your neighbors than using a can or subsonic! Heheh! And some of those new, suppressed air rifles (Gamo Whisper, for example) are perfect for pest control.

Ohio has nuisance tags for deer. My neighbor planted 30,000 trees a few years ago and the deer were eating them up as fast as he could replace them. Contacted the ODNR and started handing out tags and signing property permits for designated hunters! Meat in the freezer and the herd gets thinned and the trees start growing. Win-Win-Win!

Nope, nothing fancy for me, so no cans. Maybe someday, but I'd want to put it on something like an AR-15 (or a -10...I prefer larger calibers...), not waste it on a .22 (unless said .22 were full auto)!

The subsonics are less about being respectful of the neighbors than they are about not attracting unwanted attention--I think there are at least 2, maybe 3 cops in my neighborhood. And a couple summers ago, some doofus shot a .38, bounced it off the street and hit the house of one of the cops.

Shooting suppressed is fun!

Prices on AR15's are dropping again...after the tens of thousands sold since Sandy Hook. It's a good time to buy one. Fin, Feather and Fur have the 7.62 x 51 DPMS Oracle in A3 flat top configuration on sale for $1399.

http://www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.com/

See the top of page 2 of the flyer.