Sunday walk

Ray

Guest
I have been retired for a couple of years and in the past we have done
more cycling than walking but since my wife's hips started playing up
I have started walking on my own. We have a good arrangement, she
drops me off somewhere, goes to a pub and I have to walk there and
then drive home!
I found I could walk 3 miles easily and have built up to 8 miles, my
longest walk so far.

On Sunday I walked the mid section of the Sandstone Trail from
Duckington to Beeston Castle. Well not quite to Beeston as I had to
walk to The Pheasant at Burwardsley, an excellent pub that is very
walker friendly. A total of 6 miles in just over 2 hours.
During my walk I was overtaken by a walker who was walking at a
brisk pace and as he passed I asked him how far he had walked and he
replied. Beeston to Whitchurch and was on his way back to Beeston. I
worked this out when I returned home and it is a distance of 34 miles!

Now my question is this. Is this what you guys and girls consider a
normal Sunday's walk?

--
Regards
Ray

P.S. I enjoy reading the group and have learned a lot.

Bryan Hall

Guest
Nope - you're normal - you included a pub ;-)

"Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I have been retired for a couple of years and in the past we have done
> more cycling than walking but since my wife's hips started playing up
> I have started walking on my own. We have a good arrangement, she
> drops me off somewhere, goes to a pub and I have to walk there and
> then drive home!
> I found I could walk 3 miles easily and have built up to 8 miles, my
> longest walk so far.
>
> On Sunday I walked the mid section of the Sandstone Trail from
> Duckington to Beeston Castle. Well not quite to Beeston as I had to
> walk to The Pheasant at Burwardsley, an excellent pub that is very
> walker friendly. A total of 6 miles in just over 2 hours.
> During my walk I was overtaken by a walker who was walking at a
> brisk pace and as he passed I asked him how far he had walked and he
> replied. Beeston to Whitchurch and was on his way back to Beeston. I
> worked this out when I returned home and it is a distance of 34 miles!
>
> Now my question is this. Is this what you guys and girls consider a
> normal Sunday's walk?
>
> --
> Regards
> Ray
>
> P.S. I enjoy reading the group and have learned a lot.

Roger

Guest
The message <[email protected]>
from "Ray" <[email protected]> contains these words:

> Now my question is this. Is this what you guys and girls consider a
> normal Sunday's walk?

Being retired means it doesn't matter which day of the week it is

Last year I aimed at 15 miles and 4000 feet of ascent as a reasonable
walk. This year I seem to be aiming bit lower. Old age is catching up
with me. If I was a woman I would be drawing my old age pension by now
but Gordon Brown is too busy throwing our money at himself and other
over rich parents to redress the biggest single injustice in the social
security system today.

FWIW I think 34 miles is a long trog for any day. Even at 4 mph and on
the flat it is over 8 hours walking.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 134 summits
New - 105 (Marilyns 14, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 93)

GSV Three Minds in a Can

Guest
Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the
wonderful person Roger <[email protected]> said
>The message <[email protected]>
>from "Ray" <[email protected]> contains these words:
>
>> Now my question is this. Is this what you guys and girls consider a
>> normal Sunday's walk?

<snip>

>FWIW I think 34 miles is a long trog for any day. Even at 4 mph and on
>the flat it is over 8 hours walking.

Not unreasonable in the summer maybe, when you can amble along for 12 or
16 hours, but pushing it at this time of year, unless you enjoy walking
in the dark.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Darren G

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> I have been retired for a couple of years and in the past we have done
> more cycling than walking but since my wife's hips started playing up
> I have started walking on my own. We have a good arrangement, she
> drops me off somewhere, goes to a pub and I have to walk there and
> then drive home!
> I found I could walk 3 miles easily and have built up to 8 miles, my
> longest walk so far.
>
> On Sunday I walked the mid section of the Sandstone Trail from
> Duckington to Beeston Castle. Well not quite to Beeston as I had to
> walk to The Pheasant at Burwardsley, an excellent pub that is very
> walker friendly. A total of 6 miles in just over 2 hours.
> During my walk I was overtaken by a walker who was walking at a
> brisk pace and as he passed I asked him how far he had walked and he
> replied. Beeston to Whitchurch and was on his way back to Beeston. I
> worked this out when I returned home and it is a distance of 34 miles!
>
> Now my question is this. Is this what you guys and girls consider a
> normal Sunday's walk?

Definitely not a normal Sunday walk! Tend to do 1 or 2 of these a year
as charity walks, but these then take in some summits to make them a bit
more challenging (this year it was around Coniston, with a pull up the
Old Man)

--
Darren

Geoff Berrow

Guest
I noticed that Message-ID:
<[email protected]> from Ray contained the
following:

> During my walk I was overtaken by a walker who was walking at a
>brisk pace and as he passed I asked him how far he had walked and he
>replied. Beeston to Whitchurch and was on his way back to Beeston. I
>worked this out when I returned home and it is a distance of 34 miles!

It's 12 miles by road according to theaa.com. Still, at 24 plus it's
still a good way to go.

>Now my question is this. Is this what you guys and girls consider a
>normal Sunday's walk?

Like most people have said you are limited by the amount of day light.
My longest to date was on Sunday (10.5 miles) but I'm a newbie. Took
about 5 hours including a lunch break. If you look at any walking
websites you don't tend to see anything much longer than that and a lot
of walks in books are often less.

Perhaps many subscribers to this group possibly take it a bit more
seriously than yer average walker (not including myself in that).
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Ray

Guest
"Geoff Berrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I noticed that Message-ID:
> <[email protected]> from Ray contained
> the
> following:
>
>> During my walk I was overtaken by a walker who was walking at a
>>brisk pace and as he passed I asked him how far he had walked and he
>>replied. Beeston to Whitchurch and was on his way back to Beeston. I
>>worked this out when I returned home and it is a distance of 34
>>miles!

> It's 12 miles by road according to theaa.com. Still, at 24 plus
> it's
> still a good way to go.

I plotted the route using Fugawi and the distance, following the
Sandstone Trail, from Beeston Castle carpark to the centre of
Whitchurch is 17.1 miles.

Regards
Ray

Geoff Berrow

Guest
I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
from Ray contained the following:

>> It's 12 miles by road according to theaa.com. Still, at 24 plus
>> it's
>> still a good way to go.
>>>

>I plotted the route using Fugawi and the distance, following the
>Sandstone Trail, from Beeston Castle carpark to the centre of
>Whitchurch is 17.1 miles.

Ah well, perhaps the AA are being optimistic. :)

I've walked part of the Sandstone trail and I know I couldn't keep up a
constant 4 mph (you have to go faster than that to allow for
breaks/stiles etc) and even at that speed it would take 8.5 hours.

He's have to be running surely?

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/

Rooney

Guest
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:48:32 -0000, "Ray" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have been retired for a couple of years and in the past we have done
>more cycling than walking but since my wife's hips started playing up
>I have started walking on my own. We have a good arrangement, she
>drops me off somewhere, goes to a pub and I have to walk there and
>then drive home!
>I found I could walk 3 miles easily and have built up to 8 miles, my
>longest walk so far.
>
>On Sunday I walked the mid section of the Sandstone Trail from
>Duckington to Beeston Castle. Well not quite to Beeston as I had to
>walk to The Pheasant at Burwardsley, an excellent pub that is very
>walker friendly. A total of 6 miles in just over 2 hours.
> During my walk I was overtaken by a walker who was walking at a
>brisk pace and as he passed I asked him how far he had walked and he
>replied. Beeston to Whitchurch and was on his way back to Beeston. I
>worked this out when I returned home and it is a distance of 34 miles!
>
>Now my question is this. Is this what you guys and girls consider a
>normal Sunday's walk?

Not exactly normal, though I have done the Sandstone Trail in a day
(we added a bit and did 38). I wouldn't do it again because I prefer
the central bit in the Peckforton hills to the rest of the route. For
me, a normal local Sunday walk would be between 3 and 10 miles; a less
frequent but common walk in the Peak or Lakes would be 10 - 20 miles;
occasional walks around 25 miles. rare walks longer than that.
The important bit is the pub. I've not been in the Pheasant - might
look in over Christmas.

Roger

Guest
The message <[email protected]>
from GSV Three Minds in a Can <[email protected]> contains these words:

> >FWIW I think 34 miles is a long trog for any day. Even at 4 mph and on
> >the flat it is over 8 hours walking.

> Not unreasonable in the summer maybe, when you can amble along for 12 or
> 16 hours, but pushing it at this time of year, unless you enjoy walking
> in the dark.

If you get a move on but the Sandstone Trail can't be entirely flat, it
has at least one (easy) Marilyn on it. And for most of us a hour for
every 4 miles on the map plus another for every 3000 feet of ascent (the
not-so-well-known Chapmans Rule) is too hard a pace for a full day out.
Most contributors here seem to have trouble keeping up with that slow
coach Naismith. :)

I have never been at all keen on walking on the flat so I have
relatively limited experience of distances as long as 34 miles (over 8
hour days is another matter of course). In fact I can recall exceeding
34 miles within 24 hours only 8 times and the last of those must have
been about 30 years ago.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 134 summits
New - 105 (Marilyns 14, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 93)
Repeats - 29 (Marilyns 11, Sweats 21, Wainwrights 16, Outlying Fells 2)

Rooney

Guest
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:51:57 +0000, Geoff Berrow <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
>from Ray contained the following:
>
>>> It's 12 miles by road according to theaa.com. Still, at 24 plus
>>> it's
>>> still a good way to go.
>>>>

>>I plotted the route using Fugawi and the distance, following the
>>Sandstone Trail, from Beeston Castle carpark to the centre of
>>Whitchurch is 17.1 miles.

>Ah well, perhaps the AA are being optimistic. :)
>
>I've walked part of the Sandstone trail and I know I couldn't keep up a
>constant 4 mph (you have to go faster than that to allow for
>breaks/stiles etc) and even at that speed it would take 8.5 hours.
>
>He's have to be running surely?

You can do it all in a long day - I don't go at 4mph! It *is* a long
day though, and when we did it it was a frozen January day, the first
and last sections done in darkness.

Mike Clark

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Ray
<URL:mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
[snip]
> During my walk I was overtaken by a walker who was walking at a
> brisk pace and as he passed I asked him how far he had walked and he
> replied. Beeston to Whitchurch and was on his way back to Beeston. I
> worked this out when I returned home and it is a distance of 34 miles!
>
> Now my question is this. Is this what you guys and girls consider a
> normal Sunday's walk?

My wife and I usually tend to do between 20 and 30 km as a winter
"Sunday walk". Our "moving average" according to the Garmin GPS is
usually between 4.5 and 5 km per hour, so you are talking of about 6
hours moving plus any refreshment or photography breaks.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
<\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

sandy saunders

Guest
> I have been retired for a couple of years and in the past we have done
> more cycling than walking but since my wife's hips started playing up
> I have started walking on my own. We have a good arrangement, she
> drops me off somewhere, goes to a pub and I have to walk there and
> then drive home!

Not sure which is the best deal here ...... a lonely walk but missing a
pint?

> I found I could walk 3 miles easily and have built up to 8 miles, my
> longest walk so far.

Reasonable distance for anyone.

> On Sunday I walked the mid section of the Sandstone Trail from
> Duckington to Beeston Castle. Well not quite to Beeston as I had to
> walk to The Pheasant at Burwardsley, an excellent pub that is very
> walker friendly. A total of 6 miles in just over 2 hours.
> During my walk I was overtaken by a walker who was walking at a
> brisk pace and as he passed I asked him how far he had walked and he
> replied. Beeston to Whitchurch and was on his way back to Beeston. I
> worked this out when I returned home and it is a distance of 34 miles!
>
>Now my question is this. Is this what you guys and girls consider a
> normal Sunday's walk?

Not many will answer Yes to that! Clare and I would normally do a 8/10 mile
walk on the South Downs, sometimes stretching it out to 12 miles on a
pleasant summers day. In the more mountainous regions, Lakes/Snowdonia, we
would normally do 6/8 miles, depending on ascent. If I walk alone, I would
generally look at 10 miles or so in the big hills ....... but not 34!

--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement'

Peter

wrote:

>... a distance of 34 miles!
>
>Now my question is this. Is this what you guys and girls consider a
>normal Sunday's walk?

Not me. I'll typically do 10 - 15 miles in a day. (That's usually
Saturday, though, rather than Sunday. Public transport, which I use to
get me to the start and home from the finish, is generally far better
on Saturdays.)

Peter.