Sunglasses with Light Adaptive Lenses

carbonguru

Sep 14, 2006
Is anyone using sunglasses with this adaptive feature? Do you like them? Does it really work? How do the lenses react when in the shade? Are you squinting for a moment and then eventually the light is filtered?

I am looking into a pair that has this feature, but I am not sure its all cracked up to be for the price. These sunglasses sell for almost $200 with the tax at our LBS. Any insight would be great!

I use Rudy Impact lenses. They're not supposed to be like clear lenses in shade and super dark in bright sun but they do change darkness according to how much sunlight there is. It seems I'm seeing the same amount of darkness through shade and sunlight, so I really like them. They're also bomb proof. My first Rudy lenses were terrible. They scratched a ton of times and I treated them like a god because they were $150. I spent another $60 on these lenses and they have no scratches and I've had them since July.

Anyway, yes I do like the darkness changing lenses a lot. They are a lot nicer than lenses that will stay the same darkness all the time. Worth $200 though?

I wear corrective lenses and I don't have contacts so I went custom with my glasses and I did get transitions lenses put in. I didn't want to go with one of those systems where there is a clip in set of corrective lenses behind the regular ones, since I figured the fogging would be horrible. I didn't want to spring for a full set of different corrective lenses for a pair that has interchangable lenses, so I figured light sensitive lenses would be the best compromise. They work out just fine. They go from clear when it is not very light outside to medium/dark in full sunlight. And my insurance paid for all but about $20 of the cost.

Do they work when you are drivng a car? I heard that the lenses have a hard time if you use them inside a vehicle. Is there any truth to this?

Eden said:
I wear corrective lenses and I don't have contacts so I went custom with my glasses and I did get transitions lenses put in. I didn't want to go with one of those systems where there is a clip in set of corrective lenses behind the regular ones, since I figured the fogging would be horrible. I didn't want to spring for a full set of different corrective lenses for a pair that has interchangable lenses, so I figured light sensitive lenses would be the best compromise. They work out just fine. They go from clear when it is not very light outside to medium/dark in full sunlight. And my insurance paid for all but about $20 of the cost.

I wear prescription glasses with Corning "Thin and Dark" lenses. They are the only ones I know of that will darken in the car. Not too heavy and they work great in and outdoors.

In case you are afraid - these are glass lenses. I've worn glass lenses for over 40 years and through two motorcycle crashes (24 years apart) without a problem from the glasses.

YMMV.

Jim

carbonguru said:
Do they work when you are drivng a car? I heard that the lenses have a hard time if you use them inside a vehicle. Is there any truth to this?

Mine don't darken indoors or in a car (I have it on all of my normal glasses too, but I have a pair of regular sunglasses for driving) I don't know if all of my glasses have the same brand name color changing tech, but my cycling glasses are Tranisitons. My normal specs have glass lenses, but my cycling ones are polycarbonate.

But your eyes still have UV protection, correct?

Eden said:
Mine don't darken indoors or in a car (I have it on all of my normal glasses too, but I have a pair of regular sunglasses for driving) I don't know if all of my glasses have the same brand name color changing tech, but my cycling glasses are Tranisitons. My normal specs have glass lenses, but my cycling ones are polycarbonate.

carbonguru said:
Is anyone using sunglasses with this adaptive feature? Do you like them? Does it really work? How do the lenses react when in the shade? Are you squinting for a moment and then eventually the light is filtered?

I am looking into a pair that has this feature, but I am not sure its all cracked up to be for the price. These sunglasses sell for almost $200 with the tax at our LBS. Any insight would be great!

Take a look at the Julbo Instincts with Zebra lenses. I bought them for backcountry skiing -- they are great in the trees. I like the lenses so much I use them for riding too, and they were only $100 US.

Very nice. I will check these out.

djg21 said:
Take a look at the Julbo Instincts with Zebra lenses. I bought them for backcountry skiing -- they are great in the trees. I like the lenses so much I use them for riding too, and they were only $100 US.

i have the oakley transition lenses and they are great. but they aren't very dark and def don't work in the car. but they are crystal clear and i couldn't be happier with them when riding in the woods.

I've seen the oakleys. Very nice glasses.

cheapie said:
i have the oakley transition lenses and they are great. but they aren't very dark and def don't work in the car. but they are crystal clear and i couldn't be happier with them when riding in the woods.

I have the Tifosi adaptive lenses, which run about $59.99. The glasses are small not to large, so they don't cover much of your face but ... the lenses work great I start my ride at 5:45 am pitch dark and they are so clear when I end my morning ride at about 7:30 they are dark. Now they are not super dark but they are dark enough to supply protection. If you ride as I do in both dark and light they work, but if you ride in only dark or only light I would not purchase, don't work in the car.

ben

Hello:

I'm new to the forum and was looking through some of the post and found yours, I have used the Wiley X light adjusting lenses and they work very good, they come in a few frame choices and some work geat for biking. I found them at http://www.anysunglasses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=W&Category_Code=WileyX_LA_Lenses I know it is a long url but they are hard to find on the site for some reason.

carbonguru said:

cheapie said:
I tried a pair of these today in the middle of the day, but they didn't work for me (I have very sensitive eyes); but I know several people who use them and love em.

All comes down to what feels best. I tried another pair from performance bike which also did not work for me. I'm hosed on the photocromatic/tranisition sunnies.

Photochromatic lenses have been quite convenient as I've been able to use it during early and late daylight hours yet still provide enough filtering during the midday sun. However, by nature they can't be as dark as a non-photochromatic lens. It's a tiny trade-off that I find acceptable.

abqhudson said:
I wear prescription glasses with Corning "Thin and Dark" lenses. They are the only ones I know of that will darken in the car. Not too heavy and they work great in and outdoors.

Cool: I had no idea there were photochromics that worked even when you were in the car!

- the newer types of photochromatic lenses are triggered by the amount of UV and not by the brightness of ambient light (hence the usual complaint that they do not work in cars , since almost all standard car-glass inherently filters out UV).