sunglasses

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pat Fleming, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Pat Fleming

    Pat Fleming Guest

    Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face with some type of cushion. My
    eyes tear every time I go down a hill at 40MPH.

    Tags:

  2. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    "Pat Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:uj%ra.45553$A41.69489[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face
    with
    > some type of cushion. My eyes tear every time I go down a hill at 40MPH.

    Hmm. Have you tried Performance? They have a huge selection of sunglasses. I have a pair of Zeal
    Blast(s) that have a sweatpad--I guess that's a cushion?

  3. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    I got a pair of glasses for winter riding a few years back. I didn't end up liking them very much.
    They're like mini-goggles. There are two separate eye pieces separated by a nose piece that can be
    adjusted for nose width. The eye pieces have a soft rubber edging that conforms to your face and
    there are vents on the sides that can be opened and closed. The problem I had was that, even with
    the vents full open, on the coldest rides -- and I mean in the 20s -- the area around my eyes would
    sweat like crazy. It was very weird. So while I didn't have to endure the tearing from the cold
    wind, I had to endure all the sweat. It was just trading one problem for another.

    Anyway, I don't know the brand name, but I know I found them in the Terry catalog of women-specific
    cycling stuff.

    FWIW, Bob C. "Pat Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:uj%[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face
    with
    > some type of cushion. My eyes tear every time I go down a hill at 40MPH.

  4. Waxxer

    Waxxer Guest

    I have found the Oakleys to be the best. There are many lens selections and styles. I even forget
    they are on my face. I use the Pro M frame and have four years without problems. Yeah, Yeah, all the
    marketing high, cost etc. I still like them the best. I have tried Briko (which I like in a
    motorcycle helmet), Scotts and Performance.

    Oakley takes the prize in my case. I have not tried Rudys but the feedback is good.

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I got a pair of glasses for winter riding a few years back. I didn't end
    up
    > liking them very much. They're like mini-goggles. There are two separate eye pieces separated by a
    > nose piece that can be adjusted for nose width. The eye pieces have a soft rubber edging that
    > conforms to your face and there are vents on the sides that can be opened and closed. The problem
    > I had was that, even with the vents full open, on the coldest rides -- and I mean in the 20s --
    > the area around my eyes would sweat like crazy. It was very weird. So while I didn't have to
    > endure the tearing from the cold wind, I had to endure all the sweat. It was just trading one
    > problem for another.
    >
    > Anyway, I don't know the brand name, but I know I found them in the Terry catalog of
    > women-specific cycling stuff.
    >
    > FWIW, Bob C. "Pat Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:uj%[email protected]...
    > > Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face
    > with
    > > some type of cushion. My eyes tear every time I go down a hill at
    40MPH.

  5. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Pat Fleming wrote:

    > Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face with some type of cushion.
    > My eyes tear every time I go down a hill at 40MPH.

    Yup, try "Fitzovers" from MEC or .... <help me here gang!> there are very similar glasses. The point
    is , they fit front, both sides, and a rubbery shelf at the top, close to the cheekbones at the
    bottom. Fit comfortably over eyeglasses, total UV, cool polarizing lenses too. Quite durable. I've
    worn the same pair for 3 years now.

    They are at least worth a look.

    Best regards, Bernie

  6. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    I too am looking for sunglasses, but does anyone know of a pair that would fit well on a larger
    sized face? (Also, I prefer polarized.) Currently I'm using some Revo H2O's, and they're nice
    sunglasses (actually they're fantastic) but they're made of glass and could potentially be unsafe in
    a crash, and they're cateyes and not very aero looking.

    Pat Fleming wrote:

    > Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face with some type of cushion.
    > My eyes tear every time I go down a hill at 40MPH.

  7. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2003 02:07:22 GMT, "Pat Fleming" <[email protected]> from Optimum Online wrote:

    >Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face with some type of cushion.
    >My eyes tear every time I go down a hill at 40MPH.

    WHat about those old alpine-style glasses with the sheild on the side? I bet they would be more
    aero, too. Or, get some swim goggles!

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace You were s'posed to laugh!
    2:43:22 PM 1 May 2003

  8. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "Pat Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:uj%[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face
    with
    > some type of cushion. My eyes tear every time I go down a hill at 40MPH.

    Reduce your speed to 39 mph.

  9. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Pat Fleming writes:

    > Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face with some type of cushion.
    > My eyes tear every time I go down a hill at 40MPH.

    Sounds like you want swimmer's goggles. They fit air tight to the face... but they, like all
    glasses, are no good in the rain, but super under water. They even come in clear and colors.

  10. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Pat Fleming writes:
    >
    > > Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face with some type of
    > > cushion. My eyes tear every time I go down a hill at 40MPH.
    >
    > Sounds like you want swimmer's goggles. They fit air tight to the face... but they, like all
    > glasses, are no good in the rain, but super under water. They even come in clear and colors.

    I beg to differ: try "Fitzovers". They offer enough coverage and also fit over eyeglasses. They
    don't look cool they do travel well. I downhill at least 55km/h every morning, rain or shine. Fast
    enough to ride in mainstream traffic, not off to the the side. My eyes are very sensitive to wind
    and cold. No problem with these. Also they're polarizing, so are very cool to one's eyes on very
    bright days - they cut glare. Good News: I've used the same pair for 3 yrs, still good to go Bad
    News: You;ll look like a nerd.
    PS: riding in the rain? No problem whatsoever. way better than sunglasses. Hey! If you are
    stylish, and worried about your gang looking at you "funny", just wear them on your personal
    workout rides...

    Best regards, Bernie

  11. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Bernie McIlvan writes:

    >>> Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face with some type of
    >>> cushion. My eyes tear every time I go down a hill at 40MPH.

    >> Sounds like you want swimmer's goggles. They fit air tight to the face... but they, like all
    >> glasses, are no good in the rain, but super under water. They even come in clear and colors.

    > I beg to differ: try "Fitzovers". They offer enough coverage and also fit over eyeglasses. They
    > don't look cool they do travel well. I downhill at least 55km/h every morning, rain or shine. Fast
    > enough to ride in mainstream traffic, not off to the the side. My eyes are very sensitive to wind
    > and cold. No problem with these. Also they're polarizing, so are very cool to one's eyes on very
    > bright days - they cut glare.

    Oops! Polarizing glasses are bad news if you intend to ride on mountain roads. The glare reduction
    makes wet and dry road indistinguishable depending on the angle of the sun to travel direction,
    something that changes on curvy roads. I recall using Polaroid glasses just once and that day I
    descended a road through the woods with many curves, shadows and wet and dry road. It was spooky.

  12. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    > Oops! Polarizing glasses are bad news if you intend to ride on mountain roads. The glare reduction
    > makes wet and dry road indistinguishable depending on the angle of the sun to travel direction,
    > something that changes on curvy roads. I recall using Polaroid glasses just once and that day I
    > descended a road through the woods with many curves, shadows and wet and dry road. It was spooky.

    I don't remember that ever being a problem. Of course, around here everything is usually wet anyway,
    so maybe it evens things out. Bernie

  13. Newsgroups

    Newsgroups Guest

    "Pat Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:uj%[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know a source for sunglasses that fit flush with your face
    with
    > some type of cushion. My eyes tear every time I go down a hill at 40MPH.

    Same problem for me. But being the cheap bastard that I am, and also wear glasses with progressive
    lenses, I went to the hardware store and got "Visitor's Eye Protectors" which I wear in front of my
    regular glasses. Sure, it looks bad, but it works good.

    Also, I work in a factory and the foreman has catalogs of safety goggles which are meant to be more
    stylish, simply because people will wear them if they don't look like a geek.

    BTW, the protective glasses cost $2.59.

    Just a thought.

    Howard Levinger