Sunglasses

livestrong102

Nov 27, 2005
What sunglasses do you use for road cycling? Any suggestions? Are Oakley's worth the investment?:D Anyone have Rudy Project?

Talk here about the ones you have, the pros and cons and if you would recommend it!

I have Rudy Project Rydons. Found them very good, especially with the RX inserts as i need corrective lenses (bonus is you cannot see the RX frames unless you have the clear lenses in place). The RX inserts just clip into place.

They are not cheap though. But neither are Oakleys. Rudy will also replace scratched lenses for a nominal price which is an added bonus if you manage to skid them down the road.

In this price range i think all the glasses would be of a good standard.

My pair of Rudy Rydons, as good as it is, pretty much sits in favor of a pair of Tifosi Stelvios that I got from Nashbar after seeing so many good reviews of them. You get a hard case, a soft cleaning sleeve, three sets of lenses, and adjustable frames. They cost less than half of what the Rydons will run you though. I have been commuting with a pair this year and have absolutely no complaints about the optics, durability or function. Definitely worth a look. ;)

I don't really think cycling-specific glasses are necessary, unless you really feel like spending the extra money. I just use whatever sunglasses I feel like wearing that day... Diesel, Blinde, Von Zipper, etc., you get the point. I have two pairs of identical sunglasses from Anarchy that I use most often (stupid name, but the frames fit perfectly) - I had my local optometrist make a set of clear lenses for one pair, to use at night. Cost me about $20.

Personally, I think a lot of the cycling/sport glasses look pretty dorky.

^^no.

sunglass choice is more aesthetics than anything else. go try some on, see which one fits the best and which one you look coolest in and there you go.

i prefer ones with interchangeable lenses. although i have 6 pairs of oakleys (free of course), i wouldn't buy them if i was paying for them. oakleys are overpriced and aren't any better than other things out there, but cost is a personal choice as well.

Powerful Pete said:
Agreed, and I also own a pair. But are they really worth the price difference? :eek:
Oakley O Matter frames with prescription polarized lenses. Lightweight, keeps the wind and bugs out of my eyes, no more squinting. Oakley does a great job with their prescription lenses. I don't know if I could have gotten an equivalent product for less money but I'm very satisfied with my glasses.

SilentShifter said:
Oakley M Frames are absolutely great!
I agree. I prefer the Heater lenses because they are bigger, which better protects my eyes from the wind. Because I commute in different conditions, I like the ability to switch lenses. Polarized Gray during the day, Persimmon in low-light conditions, clear at night.

I sold my car a couple years ago, and I use some of the savings to pay for the neat stuff that makes commuting safer and more comfortable. For a commuter, good glasses are a better buy than an Ultegra/DuraAce upgrade.

I have a pair of Rudy Project Graal SX that comes with 3 sets of interchangeable lens for various light conditions. Best glasses I have used - very comfortable, work well, and of course they look real cool as well :cool:

Tifosi Stelvios Hi Viz yellow frames, I use these strictly for running and cycling, otherwise you will find me wearing WalMart bling. The Stelvios fit my massive cranium much better than most and the optics are fantastic.

I gotta go now.... Where are my sunglasses ?

Lw

I perfer Maui Jim's Sport style frames. They are the most pimp'd out sunglasses you can by. Comfortable fit, not that oakley pinch. Polycarbon Polarized lens or opthamalic precision lens made on some serious equipment. bi-gradenient mirror coat on front in either bronze or silver, AR coating on the backside. I wear them even when i'm not riding cuz i look cool. don't get me wrong, oakleys are nice and the price is a serious investment, but don't offer the lasest technology in vision enhancemnts. AR coating..... its da shiznit!

:cool:

Do any of you wear contact lenses? If you do, like me, which ones would you recommend, the M Frame, or Racing Jackets?

Thanks.

KEEP THE FORUM GOING!

livestrong102 said:
Do any of you wear contact lenses? If you do, like me, which ones would you recommend, the M Frame, or Racing Jackets?

Thanks.

KEEP THE FORUM GOING!
Walmart/Target specials bro. Expensive sunglasses not immune to scratches and losses. Walmart specials at least you don't mind it!