Sunglasses

I got a pair of polarized sunglasses at BiMart last year for about $25. I don't remember the brand though, sorry no help there. The advertisement for them had pictures of guys fishing, so they are made to be good for glare, which they are. For me they are good functional sunglasses for any activity I might need them for. Granted they do not look "cool" as most people would probably see it, but I am more for the practical than the looks since I don't have the extra money to invest in things like that right now.

Reactions: NJAgent020
Eat your hearts out, my bishes! I found a pair of these on the road today on the way over to meet up with the Wattage Wonder Kid that kicks my ass every ride.

231282021373_3.jpg

Close Cell rubber foam behind the lenses to keep your eye sockets from getting crushed by the air pressure from going SO FAST! Gold 'High Definition' lenses! Rubber temple pads! Thermonuclear protected flexible plastic frames!

But wait! There's more!

They have a micro fiber storage bag! Taiwan Quaririty!

All this for $19.95!

http://www.maxxsunglasses.com/Mens/Foam-Black-HD-Lens

Or free...if you find a pair while out riding on a ring road around a touristy lake resort that's a fav of the first 10,000 Harley's of Spring!

That's right...I went out and got me some cheap free sunglasses.

3M for clear glasses for ridding in the dark - contractor grade and ANSI approved for being able to sustain some grief from road junk. $15 gets you a bombproof set that look somewhat stylish. The rimless versions are also ANSI approved and would probably make good glasses for TT use.

I had a fairly expensive set of Smith Optics glasses for 18 months. Looked all shiny with their blue polarized lenses but they didn't last for **** and one ear piece developed stress fractures despite never being dropped and eventually broke. The lenses were scratch magnets. Thankfully there were two in the set. The second lens cracked after an innocuous drop to the floor while sitting on a park bench. Back to my old Oakleys.

If I was going to shell out some serious $ on another set, I'd go for another set of Oakley's. My old set lasted about a decade and they took a beating before succumbing to a piece of road junk that would have probably taken my eye out had I not been wearing them on a near 60 mph descent in the Sierra's. The impact hurt like hell and left my shades dangling from my helmet strap. Gotta love that ANSI rating. After

CAMPYBOB said:
Eat your hearts out, my bishes! I found a pair of these on the road today on the way over to meet up with the Wattage Wonder Kid that kicks my ass every ride.

231282021373_3.jpg

Close Cell rubber foam behind the lenses to keep your eye sockets from getting crushed by the air pressure from going SO FAST! Gold 'High Definition' lenses! Rubber temple pads! Thermonuclear protected flexible plastic frames!

But wait! There's more!

They have a micro fiber storage bag! Taiwan Quaririty!

All this for $19.95!

http://www.maxxsunglasses.com/Mens/Foam-Black-HD-Lens

Or free...if you find a pair while out riding on a ring road around a touristy lake resort that's a fav of the first 10,000 Harley's of Spring!

That's right...I went out and got me some cheap free sunglasses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vR-9NQAPIA

NJAgent020 said:
More practical than the looks??? Ur useless!!! : )
Why thank you, looks aren't very important to me at all. I just want to avoid unwanted attention.

"I just want to avoid unwanted attention."

Anything to throw them off the trail...

I have transition/photochromic lenses which I find a lot easier than flipping through glasses depending on sun. They were more pricey than I would have liked but it actually turned out to be worth it.

Cheap sunglasses are not generally truly polarized and only fool your eyes into thinking they are protected. Spend a little and protect your eyes. If you don't believe me there are plenty of experts that have supplied information that is readily available. I have several pair of Oalkeys but use the ones with changeable lenses for variable light conditions.

Tainted safety glasses are the best since you will have situations where you will be looking directly at the sun, for example if you are riding west in the evening. Whichever glasses you choose, check for the fitting so that it does not feel loose and prevent you from focusing on your cycling.

Lots of good glasses out there, I like Serfas because they come with 4 lenses including clear, and depending on which one you get you can even get a photochromic lens, I haven't found a pair of sunglasses yet that come with 4 lenses, last a long time, have undistorted vision, for the money these sell for, they're a great deal in my opinion.

Quote by JH:
"Cheap sunglasses are not generally truly polarized and only fool your eyes into thinking they are protected."

The ones with the glass so dark they won't even know your name...no need for polarized lens. When only 5% of the light can pass through the lens, you're good to go!

I wear prescription glasses. Each year, I take the doctor's prescription to my local and very high-end optometrist and I tell the young lady to slap all the latest coatings on them. One of these is called "Transitions". The lenses go dark when exposed to ultraviolet light. I think these lenses are also a more expensive and tougher plastic compound than just "regular" lenses are made of. I love them, they are a joy to wear outside on long walks. I think they are worth the cost, too. I will see what happens when I start riding again -- hopefully very soon now.

Bob

Polarized glasses aren't necessary. They block reflected glare, but don't provide any additional protection against direct sunlight.

Some polarized lenses make it impossible to see your bike computer readout, my Bolle's I can read my computer but I can't read gas station or credit card readouts? Not sure why that is.

Some sunglasses come with replaceable lenses, so you can swap lenses out depending on lighting conditions. Serfas sunglasses come with 4 lenses, all come with a clear lens for night riding and 2 other colors plus a dark lens, some you can get with auto darkening and lighting lens instead of the one dark lens, these seem to be the best deal for cycling sunglasses that I could find.

I don't buy into getting too cheap of a sunglass because the cheap ones scratch easily, my Bolle's are over 15 years old with no scratches and I've never used the bag they came in! Also cheap sunglasses the lenses will not be perfect and have areas of distortion.

Aviators! You will be king of the road. Nah just make sure they are polarized. In my opinion cheap is the best, I bought an expensive pair once and they got destroyed, not worth it.

I suggest you don't put a lot of money into the glasses your buying, because you will be risking the chance of them breaking. Just search on amazon for a reasonable pair.