Sunglasses

I use Dickies sunglasses. They work great in providing eye protection and they're pretty cheap to boot. I wouldn't consider them as disposable because the quality of the glasses are also good.

polarized lenses reduce glare but protect your eyes no better than cheap lenses.

Any sunglasses that you feel comfortable in really. Don't go for any fake ones too, they need to be reputable. Noting is worse than to get fooled by a phoney.

Sunglasses for cycling have never entered my mind. I get dizzy wearing sunglasses, even the ordinary sunglasses. My eyes are not accustomed to that shade maybe but definitely it is not for me. When the sun is shining brightly I just pull over and rest for a while. I don't use my bike when it is too hot anyway.

All that polarized glasses do is eliminate glare that's being reflected off smooth or polished surfaces. They offer no additional protection against UV rays than any other pair of decent sunglasses. Asphalt doesn't really reflect light rays, so they aren't necessary for cycling. Depending on the type of cycling computer you have, polarized lenses can make it more difficult to read the display.

I do use sunglasses when the sun shines brightly. I see no problem while using them. I have three pairs that I bought recently.

joshposh said:
Anything that is polarized, scratch resistant, and will get the girls attention and makes you more handsome will do.
Lol, I'm not sure if that's sarcastic.

Best sunglasses I ever purchased were no name safety glasses from a work-supply store. $2, all plastics. Got a few tinted and a few clear.
I never understood anyone who pays more than $50 for a pair of glasses. Other than as peacock feathers I see no point. I have watched grown men and women cry when they break their fancy pants glasses. I don't care about mine, I toss them I sit on them eventually they break and I grab the next pair.

Lucky me - I had cataract surgery last month and finally don't need Rx sunglasses. My prescription Oakley's set me back about $400 and that was 7 years ago. Never again. I now have 20:20 or better in one eye and good close-up in the other. I treated myself to a nice pair of stylish Ray-bans for day to day use and bought a cheap pair of polarized cycling glasses on Amazon. I'm going to look for a pair of those 3M safety glasses though. They are inexpensive and, knowing 3M, are built right.

My Swedish eyes are extremely light sensitive, so eye protection is a must. Fortunately, I live where we get about the same amount of sun as Seattle (Northeastern Minnesota on the shores of Gitchi Gami.)

Best ones I've seen are the grandpa like glasses attached to your neck with string to ensure that if they do in fact fall off, that they won't immediately fall to the ground and break.
Comfort ability is important too, naturally, Finding a pair of non-expensive sunglasses might be a tad difficult.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
I've got a pair of plastic sunglasses. They are pretty basic but they are built well. The plastic is pretty soft and comfy, almost like a rubbery feel to them.

They do me just fine and I think I paid below £10 for them

I love wearing sunglasses while cycling! Mostly to keep the sun away from my face. Now, wearing an expensive pair of glasses is not my thing. Why wear some thing for a $100 dollars and more if you can get it for less? With that being said, I like to get my glasses at Walmart. I know your probably thinking, Walmart, well why would I get my glasses from there? Well, if you plan on just using the sunglasses for cycling, a cheap pair of glasses will do! So, go on and get you some cheap glasses!

You can get cycling-specific sunglasses from Nashbar or Performance for not much more than a pair of drug store cheapies. One thing that you'll notice is that they don't fog as easily on a hot day, if you're hammering away climbing a hill, or have to stop for a few seconds at a stop sign or light. ;)

I recently got a pair of Bolle Sully prescription glasses from Sam's Club. Not "cycling specific", but wraparound style works great. They come with polarized polycarbonate lenses in either neutral gray or copper for about $150.

Bottom line, the corrective vision is perfect, they stay in place despite lots of sweat, and work fine on cloudy days. Had some older Bolle Vigilante glasses with the prescription inserts but the vision never was right for me, despite going back to have the prescription checked and get them re-fitted.

I used to wear Tifosis that came with extra sets of lenses. I'm pretty sure I paid less than $40 for them. Changed out the lenses depending on how sunny it was. But as my eyesight has gotten worse, I now wear Onos with the bifocal reader. Makes it easier to read my bike computer. I think they were $60.

I always prefer wearing sun glasses when I go outside. It doesn't only protect my eyes from the bright sun but also from the pollution outside. Sun glasses don't cost much and so I also replace them every month or two as they get old.

This is always important. Polycarbonate wrap arounds. The cut the light and wind out. Whatever feels comfortable on your head and face. It helps if they stay in place and have some sort of rubber gripping in the nose area so they don't move. I like reflective or mirrored ones. Bounces more light out of your eyes. You can go to one of these sunglass hut places to try on some good ones. I've got a green pair here that I've had a long time. The name is all worn off and I have no idea. It's been so long. I know I paid quite a bit. Other than that I have some cheap ones that I've used to from a $1 store. Nike even makes some good ones.

Well, I suppose my ordinary, non-specialized prescription glasses featuring "Transitions" are just not the thing for a novice cyclist like me. Getting grit in my right eye makes me reasonable and more realistic. I have an eye exam due in October, so it might be best to wait till then...and after looking at prices for the Oakley Racing Jacket...the frame cost is X and the lenses cost Y...I think I'm going to use Zenni Optical in line with CampyBob's suggestion.

Another thing I'm doing: I now always carry those little plastic vials of eye refreshing liquid in my handlebar bag. Squirting a vial or two into an eye that has a bit of grit in it does help to wash the grit out.

Bob