Sunnies! We all need em, which are the best?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Elduderino, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Elduderino

    Elduderino New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2003
    Just wanna know who uses what, why, comfort and affordability!

    Tags:

  2. ftf

    ftf New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2003
    I have some Rudy Project 'Graal Fyol' glasses which i think are great (as I would since im biased :).

    They're comfortable, don't rub at all, sit where they should sit and i've used them mtb'ing with no problem. Come with clear, amber and dark tinted lenses.

    Oh, and when I had to deal with the warranty department here in Aus (some paint had started to come off where the lenses sit in the frame), they sent me a new pair - no questions asked - with another set of lenses and soft bag.

    The only minus, they aren't particularly cheap but there are plenty of more expensives ones around.

    Cheers,
    Troy

  3. waffle

    waffle New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2003
    Rudy Project. Practical and, importantly fashionable. they ain't cheap, but you've got to pay for style.

  4. John

    John Guest

    Rudy Project....much cheaper than Oakley's and the clarity is fantastic and you don't even feel like
    you are wearing them

    Elduderino wrote:
    > Just wanna know who uses what, why, comfort and affordability!
    >

    > --

  5. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Elduderino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just wanna know who uses what, why, comfort and affordability!

    Bunnings safety glasses. 1 pair yellow lenses, 1 pair black. $15ea.

    They don't have the lens fully enclosed (i.e. no bottom section) like most shades so they don't
    block your periferal vision when checking behind for cars and they are cheap.

    Break them? $15, who cares? Style? You're on a bike, possibly in lycra.. you look like a dork
    anyway, may as well complete the package - although they don't actually look too bad.

    hippy

  6. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Elduderino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Just wanna know who uses what, why, comfort and affordability!

    > Bunnings safety glasses. 1 pair yellow lenses, 1 pair black. $15ea.

    > They don't have the lens fully enclosed (i.e. no bottom section) like most shades so they don't
    > block your periferal vision when checking behind for cars and they are cheap.

    > Break them? $15, who cares? Style? You're on a bike, possibly in lycra.. you look like a dork
    > anyway, may as well complete the package - although they don't actually look too bad.

    > hippy

    Agreed. However, I've just found some Black Ice glasses which are very comfy, look better than the
    safety glasses and are considerably lighter.

    They're also the same price.

    I don't really understand why people spend shitloads of money on Rudy Project or any of the 'brand
    name' cycling glasses. I'm guaranteed to either lose, break or otherwise bugger up sunglasses so I
    stick to the cheapies. Maybe other people are just more careful?

    Cheers. -Nick

  7. Etxy

    Etxy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    I'm also a big fan of Rudy Projects. I had a variety of cheapie sunnies and thought they were good enough, but I'm a bit of a brand-name sucker. I saw some Rudy Project Kerosenes and have never looked back. The comfort is amazing, with adjustable nose piece and arms, they're made out of better things then just plastic (aluminium) and the clarity of the lenses is amazing. I mean, really amazing. It also comes with a bag and hard case and if I had to buy a pair of sunnies again, I'd be willing to pay twice as much. Wear them for 5 minutes on a ride and change back to your old ones, and prepare to be astonished... ;)

    A lot cheaper and better than Oakleys too, IMHO. :)

  8. powinc

    powinc New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    I agree Rudy P are the go. They are comfy and stylish, but what ever you buy don't get Oakleys, every teenage wannabe has them.

    powinc

  9. Rob Woozle

    Rob Woozle Guest

    Adidas A246 sunnies. Replaceable lenses etc.

    Mine have been going strong since I got them in Oct 2000 - just recently bought a new set of lenses.

    Rob

  10. Derek

    Derek Guest

    > Just wanna know who uses what, why, comfort and affordability!

    Also, anyone with perscription sunnies? which brand? price?

  11. RossB

    RossB New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    I use prescription Oakleys. Expensive - over $500 - but to me they are worth it. The frames are tough, comfortable, don't slip, and the lenses are the clearest I've ever had in any pair of glasses. At that price, you make sure you don't lose them!

    Ross

  12. Etxy

    Etxy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    I agree; with more expensive sunnies you take better care of them then you would a pair of service-station glasses simply because they cost so much more to replace. Unless you're a complete scatterbrain, losing them doesn't even come into the equation. At the back of your mind is a little voice saying 'Polish the lenses. Put them back in their case. Don't leave them lying around. They cost $200' or whatever.

  13. Liz

    Liz Guest

    "Elduderino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just wanna know who uses what, why, comfort and affordability!
    >

    > --

    I really like my Intellitec Shields http://www.shieldseyewear.com/ - they took a little getting used
    to but they're comfortable and as far as I can tell unbreakable. The only problem is they take two
    hands to put on. Liz

  14. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Etxy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm also a big fan of Rudy Projects. I had a variety of cheapie sunnies and thought they were good
    > enough, but I'm a bit of a brand-name sucker. I saw some Rudy Project Kerosenes and have never
    > looked back. The comfort is amazing, with adjustable nose piece and arms, they're made out of
    > better things then just plastic (aluminium) and the clarity of the lenses is amazing. I mean,
    > really amazing. It also comes with a bag and hard case and if I had to buy a pair of sunnies
    > again, I'd be willing to pay twice as much. Wear them for 5 minutes on a ride and change back to
    > your old ones, and prepare to be astonished... ;)

    Can someone lend me a pair please? ;-)

    > A lot cheaper and better than Oakleys too, IMHO. :)

    How much cheaper? All the ones I've seen I'm sure were around $200. For something that I WILL sit
    on, WILL drop in front of my wheels, oh and here's a good one: dropping them into the toilet bowl at
    Flinders St station! (I was pissed, it was Cup Day!).

    I'd love to have the coolest gear.. but I'm a natural born tightass.. so I wont buy it.. instead I
    make up for it with

    CRASH falling "ahhh!" down SLIDE the stairs....

    grace.

    hippy

  15. Yep,

    I wear a pair of Stalker Malibu's... Bought them through a fishing shop, as I fish as well... Don't
    really look like your typical cycling glasses, but nothing gets me in the eyes, and they block the
    wind very well...

    you can get Rudy Project's in prescription lenses... for a price

    "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > Just wanna know who uses what, why, comfort and affordability!
    >
    > Also, anyone with perscription sunnies? which brand? price?

  16. Tezza

    Tezza New Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2003
    Like others who are wise beyond our years.......... listen grasshopper .....
    I use Black Ice $20 units. They are comfortable and will not break the bank. If you are a brand dork go ahead and spend $200 plus on something totally peripheral to your riding performance otherwise put the money saved to a set of Michelin Axial Pro Lites or a lightweight set of rims on good hubs.
    Break the Brand Hype.
    Tezza:cool:

  17. Elduderino

    Elduderino New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2003
    Thanks to all who answered my Q.

    Seems that we all either love or love to hate the ol' Rudy's hey!? hehe.

  18. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Damian Harvey <[email protected]> wrote:
    > NickZX6R wrote:

    >> Agreed. However, I've just found some Black Ice glasses which are very comfy, look better than
    >> the safety glasses and are considerably lighter.
    >>
    >> They're also the same price.
    >>
    >> I don't really understand why people spend shitloads of money on Rudy Project or any of the
    >> 'brand name' cycling glasses. I'm guaranteed to either lose, break or otherwise bugger up
    >> sunglasses so I stick to the cheapies. Maybe other people are just more careful?
    >>
    >> Cheers. -Nick

    > I have Rudy Projects. I bought them in Thailand on the cheap. Because I usually wear specs I need
    > prescription sunnies. clip-ons slide down my nose and then you have the problem of having 4
    > surfaces to clean also they scratch the shit out of my glasses. I don't sit on, lose or break my
    > sunnies becasue I need them to see and to replace them I'm looking at $300.

    > --
    > Cheers Damian Harvey

    Yeah I guess if you know they're expensive then you're bound to be more careful.

    Having just accepted my own failing eyesight, prescription sunnies are on my list for next year.

    -Nick

  19. bfra1

    bfra1 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    I use Oakley M-Frames with vented lenses and I love them. I find that they don't fog up as often as some of my other sunnies and they are very light to wear.
    The only problem is that they look pretty bad on me without a helmet, so they are strictly bike sunnies.

  20. Etxy

    Etxy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    Hip, because I'm a nice guy (;)) I'll lend you my Kerosenes next Thursday at track training. But I want them back! :p I paid $125 for my Rudy Projects at Cecil Walkers, LeTour has them advertised for $115. Other models are up around $200 (some over, like the Rydon and Freeon) but it shouldn't be hard to get Ekynox or Kerosene cheap (insofar as that word applies to Rudy Projects). You can also get Graal Fyols for around $150, don't quote me on that, and they come with three sets of lenses. They however don't have the adjustable nosepiece.

    A tightass? You? You've only got 15 bikes or something... really tight. :p