Sunset's Pumpkin Soup

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by BRevere, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. BRevere

    BRevere Guest

    Request From: [email protected] (trudiefrur)
    > Subject: Pumpkin side dishes ? Any clever ways of serving canned pumpkin? It is such a nutrient
    > dense low calorie veg and I like to eat it several times per week. I just looked it up on the USDA
    > website and it contains all the amino acids plus so many vitamins, good fiber (2.7 Gm per 1/2 cup)
    > for very few calories. The flavor is rather bland so I'm looking for tasty ideas.

    Sunset's Pumpkin Soup

    1 qt milk 1 medium onion 4 cloves 4 sprigs parsley, bruised 1 clove garlic, mashed
    1/4 whole nutmeg, grated 1 bay leaf 3 chicken broth cubes 2 cup canned pumpkin 1 tsp salt, or to
    taste pepper to taste lemon juice, optional parsley, minced, optional 6 t butter, optional

    Put first 8 ingredients in pan or double boiler and on low heat bring to just below the boiling
    point. Stir to dissolve the cubes of broth. Stir in the pumpkin, salt and pepper. Continue to cook
    for 10-15 minutes. Strain into bowls and add the optional ingredients to the center of each serving.
    Let the diners stir these in as they eat the soup.

    --
    Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at [email protected]
    Archives: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/