Sunsets

AndyP

Guest
Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
really good ones for a while.

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> uttered:

>Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
>occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
>really good ones for a while.

Type 'sunset time' in your search engine and take a pick from the ones
there.

--
Dewi,

(remove spin for email)

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
>occur?

Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

AndyP wrote:
> Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
> occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
> really good ones for a while.

My GPS (eTrex Vista) gives sunrise and sunset times adjusted for where
you are. It cannot help with cloud conditions!! :)

--
Dave McLaughlin

**** Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum

"Dewi" <[email protected]> wrote

> >Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going

> >occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
> >really good ones for a while.

> Type 'sunset time' in your search engine and take a pick from the ones
> there.

I know the times. I meant can you tell if the sky is going to be turned all
shades of red, purple and pink from the preceding weather conditions or any
other factors. Or do certain areas of the UK get better sunsets/sunrises
than others? Something to do with dust in the atmosphere isn't it? A few
weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
shout about. It would be good if you could tell in advance.

spamtrap@localhost said...
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
> >occur?

> Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

Aye, methinks you've got it in one.
--
I try to be a good example to my children, but they just see me
as a dire warning.

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.?> wrote
>On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
>>occur?

>Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

That's why I rarely carry a camera.
--
Gordon

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.?> wrote
>On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
>>occur?

>Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

That's why I rarely carry a camera.
--
Gordon

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:06:24 +0100, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> uttered:

>"Dewi" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> >Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going

>> >occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
>> >really good ones for a while.

>> Type 'sunset time' in your search engine and take a pick from the ones
>> there.

>I know the times. I meant can you tell if the sky is going to be turned all
>shades of red, purple and pink from the preceding weather conditions or any
>other factors. Or do certain areas of the UK get better sunsets/sunrises
>than others? Something to do with dust in the atmosphere isn't it? A few
>weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
>enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
>shout about. It would be good if you could tell in advance.

sorry, Impossible.

I'm not an expert, but

The clouds would have to be present
They would have to be the right sort
They would have to be in the right place
The sun would need a line of sight to the clouds
The atmosphere would have be right
So many variables...

After all, you don't see one every night do you...

--
Dewi,

(remove spin for email)

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:06:24 +0100, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> uttered:

>"Dewi" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> >Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going

>> >occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
>> >really good ones for a while.

>> Type 'sunset time' in your search engine and take a pick from the ones
>> there.

>I know the times. I meant can you tell if the sky is going to be turned all
>shades of red, purple and pink from the preceding weather conditions or any
>other factors. Or do certain areas of the UK get better sunsets/sunrises
>than others? Something to do with dust in the atmosphere isn't it? A few
>weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
>enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
>shout about. It would be good if you could tell in advance.

sorry, Impossible.

I'm not an expert, but

The clouds would have to be present
They would have to be the right sort
They would have to be in the right place
The sun would need a line of sight to the clouds
The atmosphere would have be right
So many variables...

After all, you don't see one every night do you...

--
Dewi,

(remove spin for email)

I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from AndyP
contained the following:

>Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
>occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
>really good ones for a while.

It was one of the best I've seen over Bakewell on Saturday.
www.ckdog.co.uk/sunset

Maybe could have taken more time and got better compositions but I had a
very dark wood to get through before I could get back to the car...

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Apologies, but Google is being weird, so this may be the second time
I've posted this...

"AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
A few
> weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
> enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
> shout about.

I've actually found this area to be one of the best place for sunsets
in the UK. The sunsets over the Cuillins on Skye are stunning. Not
just from the top of Beinn Sgritheall, but also the road at Upper
Sandaig. Here are three shots ,taken on consecutive evenings last
August:

http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL002.jpg
http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL111.jpg
http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL113.jpg

Interestingly (or not), the first image (the purple-ish one) has been
my best selling photo ever.

Michael S

Apologies, but Google is being weird, so this may be the second time
I've posted this...

"AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
A few
> weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
> enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
> shout about.

I've actually found this area to be one of the best place for sunsets
in the UK. The sunsets over the Cuillins on Skye are stunning. Not
just from the top of Beinn Sgritheall, but also the road at Upper
Sandaig. Here are three shots ,taken on consecutive evenings last
August:

http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL002.jpg
http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL111.jpg
http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL113.jpg

Interestingly (or not), the first image (the purple-ish one) has been
my best selling photo ever.

Michael S

"Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.?> wrote
> >On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
> ><[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises

are going to
> >>occur?

> >Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

> That's why I rarely carry a camera.
> --

Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

Graham

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:45:16 GMT, spongebob wrote:

>"Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.?> wrote

>are going to
>> >
>> >Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

>> That's why I rarely carry a camera.
>> --

>Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
>he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
>picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
>it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

Well If you took the pic you do. If you were working for your mate he
does.

In message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> writes
>On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:45:16 GMT, spongebob wrote:
>

>>"Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.?> wrote

>>are going to

>>> That's why I rarely carry a camera.
>>> --

>>Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
>>he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
>>picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
>>it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

>Well If you took the pic you do. If you were working for your mate he
>does.

It's not quite as simple as that. If your mate asked you to take the
picture and told you where to take it from then he owns the copyright.
If you composed the picture and directed him then you own the
composition. However if your mate owns the camera and the film then he
owns the physical image but maybe not the composition.

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:34:33 +0100, Chris Townsend wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
><[email protected]> writes
>>On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:45:16 GMT, spongebob wrote:

>>>Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
>>>he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
>>>picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
>>>it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

>>Well If you took the pic you do. If you were working for your mate he
>>does.

>It's not quite as simple as that. If your mate asked you to take the
>picture and told you where to take it from then he owns the copyright.
>If you composed the picture and directed him then you own the
>composition. However if your mate owns the camera and the film then he
>owns the physical image but maybe not the composition.

What if you took it on his camera (composing as you wished) but with
your memory card? :)