Sunsets

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by AndyP, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
    occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
    really good ones for a while.

    Tags:

  2. Dewi

    Dewi Guest

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
    <[email protected]> uttered:

    >Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
    >occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
    >really good ones for a while.

    Type 'sunset time' in your search engine and take a pick from the ones
    there.

    --
    Dewi,

    (remove spin for email)

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
    >occur?

    Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

  4. AndyP wrote:
    > Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
    > occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
    > really good ones for a while.

    My GPS (eTrex Vista) gives sunrise and sunset times adjusted for where
    you are. It cannot help with cloud conditions!! :)

    --
    Dave McLaughlin

    Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum

  5. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "Dewi" <[email protected]> wrote

    > >Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going

    > >occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
    > >really good ones for a while.

    > Type 'sunset time' in your search engine and take a pick from the ones
    > there.

    I know the times. I meant can you tell if the sky is going to be turned all
    shades of red, purple and pink from the preceding weather conditions or any
    other factors. Or do certain areas of the UK get better sunsets/sunrises
    than others? Something to do with dust in the atmosphere isn't it? A few
    weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
    enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
    shout about. It would be good if you could tell in advance.

  6. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
    > >occur?

    > Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

    Aye, methinks you've got it in one.
    --
    I try to be a good example to my children, but they just see me
    as a dire warning.

  7. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Andrew <[email protected]?> wrote
    >On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
    >>occur?

    >Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

    That's why I rarely carry a camera.
    --
    Gordon

  8. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Andrew <[email protected]?> wrote
    >On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
    >>occur?

    >Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

    That's why I rarely carry a camera.
    --
    Gordon

  9. steve Wilcox

    steve Wilcox Guest

  10. steve Wilcox

    steve Wilcox Guest

  11. Dewi

    Dewi Guest

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:06:24 +0100, "AndyP"
    <[email protected]> uttered:

    >"Dewi" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> >Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going

    >> >occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
    >> >really good ones for a while.

    >> Type 'sunset time' in your search engine and take a pick from the ones
    >> there.

    >I know the times. I meant can you tell if the sky is going to be turned all
    >shades of red, purple and pink from the preceding weather conditions or any
    >other factors. Or do certain areas of the UK get better sunsets/sunrises
    >than others? Something to do with dust in the atmosphere isn't it? A few
    >weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
    >enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
    >shout about. It would be good if you could tell in advance.

    sorry, Impossible.

    I'm not an expert, but

    The clouds would have to be present
    They would have to be the right sort
    They would have to be in the right place
    The sun would need a line of sight to the clouds
    The atmosphere would have be right
    So many variables...

    After all, you don't see one every night do you...

    --
    Dewi,

    (remove spin for email)

  12. Dewi

    Dewi Guest

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:06:24 +0100, "AndyP"
    <[email protected]> uttered:

    >"Dewi" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> >Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going

    >> >occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
    >> >really good ones for a while.

    >> Type 'sunset time' in your search engine and take a pick from the ones
    >> there.

    >I know the times. I meant can you tell if the sky is going to be turned all
    >shades of red, purple and pink from the preceding weather conditions or any
    >other factors. Or do certain areas of the UK get better sunsets/sunrises
    >than others? Something to do with dust in the atmosphere isn't it? A few
    >weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
    >enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
    >shout about. It would be good if you could tell in advance.

    sorry, Impossible.

    I'm not an expert, but

    The clouds would have to be present
    They would have to be the right sort
    They would have to be in the right place
    The sun would need a line of sight to the clouds
    The atmosphere would have be right
    So many variables...

    After all, you don't see one every night do you...

    --
    Dewi,

    (remove spin for email)

  13. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from AndyP
    contained the following:

    >Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
    >occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
    >really good ones for a while.

    It was one of the best I've seen over Bakewell on Saturday.
    www.ckdog.co.uk/sunset

    Maybe could have taken more time and got better compositions but I had a
    very dark wood to get through before I could get back to the car...

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  14. Michael S

    Michael S Guest

    Apologies, but Google is being weird, so this may be the second time
    I've posted this...

    "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    A few
    > weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
    > enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
    > shout about.

    I've actually found this area to be one of the best place for sunsets
    in the UK. The sunsets over the Cuillins on Skye are stunning. Not
    just from the top of Beinn Sgritheall, but also the road at Upper
    Sandaig. Here are three shots ,taken on consecutive evenings last
    August:

    http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL002.jpg
    http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL111.jpg
    http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL113.jpg

    Interestingly (or not), the first image (the purple-ish one) has been
    my best selling photo ever.

    Michael S

  15. Michael S

    Michael S Guest

    Apologies, but Google is being weird, so this may be the second time
    I've posted this...

    "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    A few
    > weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
    > enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
    > shout about.

    I've actually found this area to be one of the best place for sunsets
    in the UK. The sunsets over the Cuillins on Skye are stunning. Not
    just from the top of Beinn Sgritheall, but also the road at Upper
    Sandaig. Here are three shots ,taken on consecutive evenings last
    August:

    http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL002.jpg
    http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL111.jpg
    http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL113.jpg

    Interestingly (or not), the first image (the purple-ish one) has been
    my best selling photo ever.

    Michael S

  16. spongebob

    spongebob Guest

    "Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Andrew <[email protected]?> wrote
    > >On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
    > ><[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises

    are going to
    > >>occur?

    > >Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

    > That's why I rarely carry a camera.
    > --

    Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
    he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
    picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
    it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

    Graham

  17. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:45:16 GMT, spongebob wrote:

    >"Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Andrew <[email protected]?> wrote

    >are going to
    >> >
    >> >Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

    >> That's why I rarely carry a camera.
    >> --

    >Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
    >he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
    >picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
    >it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

    Well If you took the pic you do. If you were working for your mate he
    does.

  18. In message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:45:16 GMT, spongebob wrote:
    >

    >>"Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> Andrew <[email protected]?> wrote

    >>are going to

    >>> That's why I rarely carry a camera.
    >>> --

    >>Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
    >>he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
    >>picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
    >>it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

    >Well If you took the pic you do. If you were working for your mate he
    >does.

    It's not quite as simple as that. If your mate asked you to take the
    picture and told you where to take it from then he owns the copyright.
    If you composed the picture and directed him then you own the
    composition. However if your mate owns the camera and the film then he
    owns the physical image but maybe not the composition.

  19. In message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:45:16 GMT, spongebob wrote:
    >

    >>"Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> Andrew <[email protected]?> wrote

    >>are going to

    >>> That's why I rarely carry a camera.
    >>> --

    >>Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
    >>he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
    >>picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
    >>it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

    >Well If you took the pic you do. If you were working for your mate he
    >does.

    It's not quite as simple as that. If your mate asked you to take the
    picture and told you where to take it from then he owns the copyright.
    If you composed the picture and directed him then you own the
    composition. However if your mate owns the camera and the film then he
    owns the physical image but maybe not the composition.

  20. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:34:33 +0100, Chris Townsend wrote:

    >In message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:45:16 GMT, spongebob wrote:

    >>>Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
    >>>he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
    >>>picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
    >>>it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

    >>Well If you took the pic you do. If you were working for your mate he
    >>does.

    >It's not quite as simple as that. If your mate asked you to take the
    >picture and told you where to take it from then he owns the copyright.
    >If you composed the picture and directed him then you own the
    >composition. However if your mate owns the camera and the film then he
    >owns the physical image but maybe not the composition.

    What if you took it on his camera (composing as you wished) but with
    your memory card? :)