Suntour 7 spd indexed

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Another group member, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. Tags:

  2. Nigel Cliffe

    Nigel Cliffe Guest

    Another group member wrote:
    > Hello, I am trying to locate a 7 speed Cassette to suit Suntour
    > shifting system (Indexed). Can anyone help?

    If you mean the old 7 speed system from the days of screw on gear
    clusters...

    Then I find that current 7-speed screw on cassettes to match Shimano pattern
    work fine. I bought a Sachs 13-28 (probably old stock) recently for my
    bike. My bike has the X-1 shifters which sit alongside the brake hoods on a
    drop-bar (looking like giant paddles, or a bit like a bike with Kelly
    Take-Off adaptors fitted).

    I may have a worn genuine Suntour in the shed somewhere, if you really want
    such a thing, I can look to see if its not been dumped in the last trip to
    the metal recycling bin.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  3. JBB

    JBB Guest

  4. Hello,
    I actually know the difference between Freewheels and Cassettes. I am
    looking for a Cassette.
    John.

    --

    http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1170117
    "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Another group member wrote:
    >> Hello, I am trying to locate a 7 speed Cassette to suit Suntour
    >> shifting system (Indexed). Can anyone help?

    > If you mean the old 7 speed system from the days of screw on gear
    > clusters...
    >
    > Then I find that current 7-speed screw on cassettes to match Shimano
    > pattern work fine. I bought a Sachs 13-28 (probably old stock) recently
    > for my bike. My bike has the X-1 shifters which sit alongside the brake
    > hoods on a drop-bar (looking like giant paddles, or a bit like a bike with
    > Kelly Take-Off adaptors fitted).
    >

    > I may have a worn genuine Suntour in the shed somewhere, if you really
    > want such a thing, I can look to see if its not been dumped in the last
    > trip to the metal recycling bin.
    >

    > - Nigel
    >

    > --
    > Nigel Cliffe,
    > Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  5. Hello, Anything cassette wise and Suntour 7 speed. Prefer lower rather than
    high gears. Also could do with a suitable Suntour indexing rear gear mech.
    Regards,
    John..........

    --

    http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1170117
    news:[email protected]

  6. Another group member wrote:
    > Hello, Anything cassette wise and Suntour 7 speed. Prefer lower rather than
    > high gears. Also could do with a suitable Suntour indexing rear gear mech.
    > Regards,

    I have a 7-speed Suntour derailler in the bits box, but it's not
    exactly mint condition. (I also have a 7-speed Suntour cassette,
    maybe a freewheel, but it's still attached to an old wheel, and
    I don't really want to buy a Suntour-specific tool to remove it).

    It's yours for the cost of postage if you want it. I've uploaded
    a photo here:

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jd.collins/images/suntour_mech.jpg

    It's from an old MTB, and is marked "Suntour Accushift XCT". I
    won't be offended if you say "no thanks"...!

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  7. Rear mech welcome as it could be repainted to look OK. But only if rear cogs
    are cassette and not Freewheel.
    John.

    --

    http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1170117
    news:[email protected]

  8. Another group member wrote:
    > Rear mech welcome as it could be repainted to look OK. But only if rear cogs
    > are cassette and not Freewheel.

    Are you saying you only want the mech if my old wheel has a cassette on
    it?

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  9. Hello, Yes if the cassette matches the gear. If it is a screw on freewheel
    it is a different job and will not fit to the cassette rear wheel I have.
    Sorry.
    John.

    --

    http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1170117
    "Jeremy Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Another group member wrote:
    >> Rear mech welcome as it could be repainted to look OK. But only if rear
    >> cogs are cassette and not Freewheel.

    > Are you saying you only want the mech if my old wheel has a cassette on
    > it?
    >

    > --
    > jc
    >
    > Remove the -not from email

  10. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Another group member" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Hello, I am trying to locate a 7 speed Cassette to suit Suntour shifting
    > system (Indexed). Can anyone help?

    Sounds like a shimano 7sp cassette would do you. Or is it that you've got a
    suntour hub?

    cheers,
    clive

  11. Its a Shimano hub with a Shimano mech but it wont index correctly unless I
    have a Suntour mech and I am asuming a Suntour Casstte?
    John

    --

  12. "Another group member" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Its a Shimano hub with a Shimano mech but it wont index
    > correctly unless I have a Suntour mech and I am asuming
    > a Suntour Casstte?

    A Suntour cassette (from the Accushift era) won't fit on your Shimano hub -
    the spline pattern is different, and the thread of the locking sprocket
    doesn't match Shimano's Uniglide thread.

    There are some details on Suntour cassette spacing here:

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/stcass.html

    It looks as though the indexing should be reasonable if you use a Shimano
    cassette with Suntour mech and shifters - or find some Shimano shifters to
    go with the Shimano mech.

    James Thomson

  13. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Another group member" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > >> Hello, I am trying to locate a 7 speed Cassette to suit Suntour

    shifting
    > >> system (Indexed). Can anyone help?

    > > Sounds like a shimano 7sp cassette would do you. Or is it that you've

    got
    > > suntour hub?

    > Its a Shimano hub with a Shimano mech but it wont index correctly unless I
    > have a Suntour mech and I am asuming a Suntour Casstte?

    Suntour spacing is the same as or close enough to shimano spacing, so a
    shimano cassette will do. Which is fortunate as that's a wearing part, and
    you can still get them.
    (if you want to be closer, you could probably use 3 spacers from an 8 speed
    cassette in the relevant position, but I don't know what position that is
    :) )

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

    (did suntour cassettes have the same spline pattern as shimano?)

    cheers,
    clive

  14. James, Good to hear from you. I hope that you are well, and Paris is still
    exciting!
    The bike in question is not mine-I am the repairer. It has Suntour bar end
    shifters which want to be kept. The rear Shimano wheel without a Cassette is
    where the problem lies. The rear gear mech is Shimano too. If I were to fit
    a Shimano cassette are you thinking that the indexing would be satisfactory?
    All the best,
    John.

    --

  15. "Another group member" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > James, Good to hear from you. I hope that you are well, and
    > Paris is still exciting!

    En crêpe de Chine, comme un chagrin d'asphalte!

    > The bike in question is not mine-I am the repairer. It has Suntour
    > bar end shifters which want to be kept. The rear Shimano wheel
    > without a Cassette is where the problem lies. The rear gear
    > mech is Shimano too. If I were to fit a Shimano cassette are you
    > thinking that the indexing would be satisfactory?

    The simple answer is that I don't know - sorry. I do know that 8-speed
    Suntour levers work well with Shimano derailleurs, but I don't know what
    might have changed between 7 and 8.

    I assume the levers have a friction option.

    James Thomson

  16. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Another group member" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The bike in question is not mine-I am the repairer. It has Suntour bar end
    > shifters which want to be kept. The rear Shimano wheel without a Cassette

    is
    > where the problem lies. The rear gear mech is Shimano too. If I were to

    fit
    > a Shimano cassette are you thinking that the indexing would be

    satisfactory?

    Suck it and see. If it's not, then you need to match the shifter to the
    mech, ie either a shimano shifter or a suntour mech. Either way, the shimano
    cassette will be fine, so there's nothing to be lost by just trying that
    first.

    (or you _could_ work out what distances the suntour shifter moves the
    shimano mech between gears, and fettle a set of custom spacers to suit - but
    I wouldn't bother!)

    cheers,
    clive