Suntour Accu-shift 2000

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by S R Sharp, May 7, 2003.

  1. S R Sharp

    S R Sharp Guest

    I've got a road bike with 6-speed DT shifters and problematic rear shifting. It shifts perfectly
    from large to small, but when going the other way the chain will move 2 cogs per indexed click and
    then drop back down one cog as soon as you release the shift lever. If I adjust cable tension so
    it shifts up properly then it hesitates the other direction. Nothing appears to be bent, damaged,
    or broken.

    2 things I've noticed that I've never seen before: 1) the shifter has a little "switch" on it,
    presumably to change it from indexed to friction, but both positions result in indexed mode with no
    discernible difference. I disassembled the shifter and can't see what the heck this is supposed to
    do. The indexing parts look brand-new. 2) The rear derailleur doesn't "float" around the upper
    pivot. There is a nut on the back side of the hanger which I can't tell if it's original or if it is
    a modification- it's not a "drop-out saver".

    Is there a special trick to these shifters or is this just the way they were?

    > I've got a road bike with 6-speed DT shifters and problematic rear shifting. It shifts perfectly
    > from large to small, but when going the other way the chain will move 2 cogs per indexed click and
    > then drop back down one cog as soon as you release the shift lever. If I adjust cable tension so
    > it shifts up properly then it hesitates the other direction. Nothing appears to be bent, damaged,
    > or broken.

    It's adjusted too far towards the larger cogs. Suntour's index shifting was different from
    Shimano's, in that you had to adjust the final positioning yourself after making the shift --
    there's no float in the pulley.

    When it's properly adjusted, you overshift very slightly, then let it drop back into the detente.

    > 2 things I've noticed that I've never seen before: 1) the shifter has a little "switch" on it,
    > presumably to change it from indexed to friction, but both positions result in indexed mode with
    > no discernible difference. I disassembled the shifter and can't see what the heck this is supposed
    > to do. The indexing parts look brand-new.

    Suntour had shift levers that would index on two different rear cog spacings, "standard" and
    "ultra". An Ultra-6 freewheel fit six cogs in the width of a standard 5-speed freewheel, so it
    needed less cable pull per click than standard spacing.

    --
    [email protected] is Joshua Putnam <http://www.phred.org/~josh/> Books for Bicycle Mechanics and
    Tinkerers: <http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/bikebooks.html