Suntour Accushift gear spacing -options needed

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pooh, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Pooh

    Pooh Guest

    I am building up a project mountain bike and have run into a problem with the Suntour Accushift gear
    spacing of 3.0 mm / 2.8 mm. I need some options because shifting from high to low is fine, and
    shifting from low to high stinks.

    Here is what I have on the drive train:

    Taken from a Gary Fischer CR-7: Suntour XC Comp, rear hub Suntour 7 speed cassette/freewheel? (don't
    know, missing spline or knotched socket) Suntour XC Comp Accushift rear derailleur Suntour Accushift
    cable housing (which I think is compressionless)

    Added new: Shimano shifter/brake lever pod New shifter cables.

    The original Suntour shifter is an indexed thumb shifter that I really don't want to use. That's why
    I bought the brifter Shimano Acera set, it was also cheap.

    I have some extra threaded Shimano freewheels, as well as an extra Shimano cassette both 7 speed.
    Can I use these instead with the Suntour XC Comp rear hub?

    Thanks,

    -Wynn

    Tags:

  2. Pooh

    Pooh Guest

    After doing some research on the Internet, I've come to the conclusion that I had better stick to
    the "over-the-bar" thumb shifter from Suntour, and call it good.

    I installed the shifters and the bike shifts normally. It's not the setup I wanted, but it's
    certainly the setup I have to use.

    Wynn

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Pooh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am building up a project mountain bike and have run into a problem with the Suntour Accushift
    > gear spacing of 3.0 mm / 2.8 mm. I need some options because shifting from high to low is fine,
    > and shifting from low to high stinks.
    >
    > Here is what I have on the drive train:
    >
    > Taken from a Gary Fischer CR-7: Suntour XC Comp, rear hub Suntour 7 speed cassette/freewheel?
    > (don't know, missing spline or knotched socket) Suntour XC Comp Accushift rear derailleur Suntour
    > Accushift cable housing (which I think is compressionless)
    >
    > Added new: Shimano shifter/brake lever pod New shifter cables.
    >
    > The original Suntour shifter is an indexed thumb shifter that I really don't want to use. That's
    > why I bought the brifter Shimano Acera set, it was also cheap.
    >
    > I have some extra threaded Shimano freewheels, as well as an extra Shimano cassette both 7 speed.
    > Can I use these instead with the Suntour XC Comp rear hub?

    Your best route is to convert to an all-Shimano system. Or look for some vintage Suntour shifters
    of a style you like. You already are an expert about mixing gear spacing so you already know it
    doesn't work.

    And ditch the Suntour casing regardless. Modern stuff is much better. All-Suntour nos setups benefit
    greatly from that. Be sure to get the correct ferrules with your new casing. If you didn't toss the
    casing that came in your Shimano shifter box, use that.

  4. Chris B.

    Chris B. Guest

    On 11 Mar 2003 10:10:18 -0800, [email protected] (Pooh) wrote:

    >I am building up a project mountain bike and have run into a problem with the Suntour Accushift
    >gear spacing of 3.0 mm / 2.8 mm. I need some options because shifting from high to low is fine, and
    >shifting from low to high stinks.
    >
    >Here is what I have on the drive train:
    >
    >Taken from a Gary Fischer CR-7:

    <snip>