SunTour AccuShift, Shimano freehub?

PCC

Sep 8, 2005
I know it can't be done simply by matching them up unless I use the friction mode but does anyone make custom spacers to make it work?

I bought a used '89 Bridgestone RB-1 for my nephew with an almost complete SunTour GPX gruppo on it. I'm concerned that the rear freewheel may not have much life left in it because of the condition of the bike. I know that I will be replacing it some day and dread the thought of going with another freewheel. I bought a Shimano Ultegra freehub set some years ago but have never had an opportunity to install it so I'm thinking that I can use this for the RB-1. It came with the 7-speed freehub body and I bought the 8/9-speed freehub body for it for when I was going to build a spare wheelset for my mountain bike (135mm spacing). I can convert the rear hubs to 126mm spacing but don't know if I can get the Accushift to work properly. The thought occurred to me that I can probably either buy or have a set of spacers made to do this. Anyone know of a set of spacers to do this?

I know, have my nephew learn to use the friction mode. I'm working on that.

Judging from the lack of replies no such animal exists.

Some things I have read and understand about SunTour's Accushift and Shimano's Indexed Shifting systems:

Accushift varies the cog spacing to compensate for the increased derailleur swing as the cable pulls the derailleur in towards the larger cogs. As such the jockey wheels do not float on Accushift derailleurs.
SIS (yes, I still call it that, what does STI stand for anyway?) has a floating jockey wheel that compensates for the different travel of the cage as a result of the increased derailleur swing.

Does this sound right?

I think that I'm going to just buy a SRAM 8-speed Hyper-Glide compatible cassette and make my own spacers to get this to work with the Accushift system. Yes, the Accushift GPX shifter can index 8 speeds.