Suntour anyone?

Fixey

Mar 9, 2004
Ok, I had a run down old heap of a Falcon donated to me for one of the young children I look after to ride. When it got here I looked at it and thought "thanks :D, 5 hours work stripping and fixing that baby) when I looked at it it had Suntour groupset on it. looks like it is late model too (130 chainring set). Ho w lucky is that?

boudreaux

Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by Fixey
Ok, I had a run down old heap of a Falcon donated to me for one of the young children I look after to ride. When it got here I looked at it and thought "thanks :D, 5 hours work stripping and fixing that baby) when I looked at it it had Suntour groupset on it. looks like it is late model too (130 chainring set). Ho w lucky is that?
duno..Suntour made their share of junk.

Fixey

Mar 9, 2004
Originally posted by boudreaux
duno..Suntour made their share of junk.

HEATHEN, may your antisuntourieist sole burn in eternal hellfire, may you be destined to ride crappy frames with shimano sora groupsets your whole miserable life......
You really think suntour made some ****? I loved the stuff

Paul

Feb 6, 2002
Suntour? I've stashed my best V GT derailleurs and other items away for future use. Gonna be classic someday. Hey - what about that Suntour 'Skitter' five speed rear derailleur? It goes back to low gear when the cable is slack or broken. Same with one of their front derailleurs, works back to front. Makes things interesting if you mix and mismatch equipment ! Probably 25 - 30 years old now, still works fine. Want some good reading? Look for "Sunset for Suntour" by Frank Berto, on the 'net. Further details re Suntour's contributions and patents can be found in the late Ron Shepherd's book 'The Dancing Chain', co-authored by F. Berto & R. Henry.

boudreaux

Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by Fixey
HEATHEN, may your antisuntourieist sole burn in eternal hellfire, may you be destined to ride crappy frames with shimano sora groupsets your whole miserable life......
You really think suntour made some ****? I loved the stuff
I got plenty of their better to good stuff.The junk goes in the recycle bin.

meehs

Nov 7, 2003
They did make some ****! But I had a Bontrager (Pre-Trek-Buy-Out) hard tail at one time that I purposfully built-up with NO Shimano parts (don't know why really). It was outfitted with the Sutour XC Pro Microdrive group and an AMP linkage fork. That Suntour group performed quite nicely! Overall it was a pretty sweet-riding bike. Frame was kind of a noodle though! Kinda wish I would've kept it...