Suntour Bar Con Parts

Frank Jordan

Guest
Does anybody know a source for the screw/nut/locknut things for Suntour Bar
Cons? I'm referring to the bolt that the shifter pivots on, not the screw
for the expanding mechanism. I have a Nishiki Competition that is missing
one complete screw assembly, and just today I bought a Takara road bike
mainly for the Bar Cons. Upon getting it home and inspecting it further,
the little chromed lock nut is missing! Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Frank Jordan wrote:

> Does anybody know a source for the screw/nut/locknut things for Suntour Bar
> Cons? I'm referring to the bolt that the shifter pivots on, not the screw
> for the expanding mechanism. I have a Nishiki Competition that is missing
> one complete screw assembly, and just today I bought a Takara road bike
> mainly for the Bar Cons. Upon getting it home and inspecting it further,
> the little chromed lock nut is missing! Any help would be much appreciated.

Those locknuts are a very commonly lost/damaged part, and have not been
available for decades.

As it happens, there is a relatively easy workaround. Many pedal
reflectors use 4 mm threaded hardware, with nuts that use a 7 mm wrench.

The 4 mm thread is the same as the Barcon pivolt bolt, and the 7 mm size
is small enough to let you use a nutdriver or socket wrench to tighten
the nut up inside the recess in the Barcon housing.

Most bike shops will have a box full of discarded pedal reflectors under
a counter somewhere...

Sheldon "Solutions" Brown
| Some of my brother's paintings may be seen at: |
| http://junila.com |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Frank Jordan wrote:
> Does anybody know a source for the screw/nut/locknut things for Suntour Bar
> Cons? I'm referring to the bolt that the shifter pivots on, not the screw
> for the expanding mechanism. I have a Nishiki Competition that is missing
> one complete screw assembly, and just today I bought a Takara road bike
> mainly for the Bar Cons. Upon getting it home and inspecting it further,
> the little chromed lock nut is missing! Any help would be much appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

I was just going through some junk in my attic and noted a full set of
Sun Tour bar cons in their original package. How much will you pay?

I also noted several packages of GT long cage shifters in their original
packages -- I haven't any clue as to why I bought and saved them.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---