Suntour/Browning *Electric* Cranks - Hinged Chainrings!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by B. Sanders, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    Here's something you don't see every day...

    http://tinyurl.com/f3m3

    From the Ebay auction posting:

    "Suntour/Browning electrically shifting crankset. Instead of utilizing a front derraileur to shift
    between chainrings, this crankset actually has hinged chainrings that allow for the chain to shift
    from one chainring to the other. Browning spent many years and several million dollars developing
    this crankset and a similarly functioning rear cogset. This crankset is the result of their
    partnership with Suntour back in the early '90s. This is one of the trickest, most esoteric bicycle
    parts you will ever see. "

    "The mechanisms and function of this system are pretty amazing. Years ago my framebuilding shop was
    sent pre-production mechanical and electric versions of this crank and everyone who rode it was
    amazed at how quick and smooth the front shifting was. Even under high load situations (like
    climbing a steep hill and shifting into the small chainring) this baby just popped the chain right
    where you wanted it. I can assure you that you'll never see many (if any) of these rare cranksets
    available for sale so bid early and often if you want to add this shining star to your collection of
    cool bike stuff. The original instruction manual is included. A bottom bracket assembly is not
    included."

    Wow! I think he's right: This is one of the weirdest bike components I've ever seen. Can't be too
    many of these around.

    Barry

    (no, I'm not a shill - just very intrigued)

    Tags:

  2. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here's something you don't see every day...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/f3m3
    >
    > From the Ebay auction posting:
    >
    > "Suntour/Browning electrically shifting crankset. Instead of utilizing a front derraileur to shift
    > between chainrings, this crankset actually has hinged chainrings that allow for the chain to shift
    > from one chainring to the other. Browning spent many years and several million dollars developing
    > this crankset and a similarly functioning rear cogset. This crankset is the result of their
    > partnership with Suntour back in the early '90s. This is one of the trickest, most esoteric
    > bicycle parts you will ever see. "
    >
    > "The mechanisms and function of this system are pretty amazing. Years ago my framebuilding shop
    > was sent pre-production mechanical and electric versions of this crank and everyone who rode it
    > was amazed at how quick and smooth the front shifting was. Even under high load situations (like
    > climbing a steep hill and shifting into the small chainring) this baby just popped the chain right
    > where you wanted it. I can assure you that you'll never see many (if any) of these rare cranksets
    > available for sale so bid early and often if you want to add this shining star to your collection
    > of cool bike stuff. The original instruction manual is included. A bottom bracket assembly is not
    > included."
    >
    > Wow! I think he's right: This is one of the weirdest bike components I've ever seen. Can't be too
    > many of these around.
    >
    > Barry
    >
    > (no, I'm not a shill - just very intrigued)

    I think Browning is still trying to sell this idea:

    http://www.browningcomponent.com/about.php

  3. On 24 Jun 2003 08:25:38 -0700, [email protected] (Gary Young) wrote:
    >"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >> "Suntour/Browning electrically shifting crankset. Instead of utilizing a

    >I think Browning is still trying to sell this idea:

    And just think, you could be shooting your .357 Browning semiauto from your Browning geared bike.
    Especially good for Spike Bike fans.

    Jasper

  4. Bobqzzi

    Bobqzzi Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:13:54 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 24 Jun 2003 08:25:38 -0700, [email protected] (Gary Young) wrote:
    >>"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>> "Suntour/Browning electrically shifting crankset. Instead of utilizing a
    >
    >>I think Browning is still trying to sell this idea:
    >
    >And just think, you could be shooting your .357 Browning semiauto from your Browning geared bike.
    >Especially good for Spike Bike fans.
    >
    >Jasper
    Uh..that's 9mm Browning semi-auto. .357 is a revolver round, not often found in automatics, and not
    at all in a Browning designed gun.

  5. Lee Bower

    Lee Bower Guest

    I remember these. They were marketing them to BMXers in the mid 80s. At the time, they were lever
    activated (usually on the left side of the bars).

    Lee Bower

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Here's something you don't see every day...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/f3m3
    >
    > From the Ebay auction posting:
    >
    > "Suntour/Browning electrically shifting crankset. Instead of utilizing a front derraileur to shift
    > between chainrings, this crankset actually has hinged chainrings that allow for the chain to shift
    > from one chainring to the other. Browning spent many years and several million dollars
    developing
    > this crankset and a similarly functioning rear cogset. This crankset is
    the
    > result of their partnership with Suntour back in the early '90s. This is
    one
    > of the trickest, most esoteric bicycle parts you will ever see. "
    >
    > "The mechanisms and function of this system are pretty amazing. Years ago
    my
    > framebuilding shop was sent pre-production mechanical and electric
    versions
    > of this crank and everyone who rode it was amazed at how quick and smooth the front shifting was.
    > Even under high load situations (like climbing a steep hill and shifting into the small chainring)
    > this baby just popped
    the
    > chain right where you wanted it. I can assure you that you'll never see
    many
    > (if any) of these rare cranksets available for sale so bid early and often if you want to add this
    > shining star to your collection of cool bike
    stuff.
    > The original instruction manual is included. A bottom bracket assembly is not included."
    >
    > Wow! I think he's right: This is one of the weirdest bike components
    I've
    > ever seen. Can't be too many of these around.
    >
    > Barry
    >
    > (no, I'm not a shill - just very intrigued)

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

  7. On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:39:32 GMT, bobqzzi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:13:54 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>And just think, you could be shooting your .357 Browning semiauto from your Browning geared bike.
    >>Especially good for Spike Bike fans.

    >Uh..that's 9mm Browning semi-auto. .357 is a revolver round, not often found in automatics, and not
    >at all in a Browning designed gun.

    Well, okay, I pulled the numbers out of my ass. Still though, isn't .357 the same as 9 mm? It works
    out to the same dimension on my calculator, to a reasonable accuracy.. (ie, accuracy at least
    greater than manufacturing tolerances used to be on either of these back when they influenced each
    other into being the same measurement)

    Jasper

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Here's something you don't see every day...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/f3m3
    >
    > From the Ebay auction posting:
    >
    > "Suntour/Browning electrically shifting crankset. Instead of utilizing a front derraileur to shift
    > between chainrings, this crankset actually has hinged chainrings that allow for the chain to shift
    > from one chainring to the other. Browning spent many years and several million dollars
    developing
    > this crankset and a similarly functioning rear cogset. This crankset is
    the
    > result of their partnership with Suntour back in the early '90s. This is
    one
    > of the trickest, most esoteric bicycle parts you will ever see. "
    >
    > "The mechanisms and function of this system are pretty amazing. Years ago
    my
    > framebuilding shop was sent pre-production mechanical and electric
    versions
    > of this crank and everyone who rode it was amazed at how quick and smooth the front shifting was.
    > Even under high load situations (like climbing a steep hill and shifting into the small chainring)
    > this baby just popped
    the
    > chain right where you wanted it. I can assure you that you'll never see
    many
    > (if any) of these rare cranksets available for sale so bid early and often if you want to add this
    > shining star to your collection of cool bike
    stuff.
    > The original instruction manual is included. A bottom bracket assembly is not included."
    >
    > Wow! I think he's right: This is one of the weirdest bike components
    I've
    > ever seen. Can't be too many of these around.

    Peter Grisley was involved in the groundwork and they really did shift perfectly. "Several million"
    dollars in development seems. . . fancifully high (but I don't know that for a fact). There were at
    least a few dozen of these floating around at one time on sample bikes including one of our
    TerraTechs.

  9. John McGraw

    John McGraw Guest

  10. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Peter Grizzley has his own bike line now and is equipping them with the Browning system. The bikes
    are aimed at commuter European's and are pretty pricey, however the Browning system does work
    remarkably well.