Suntour Cyclone

nickynice

Mar 21, 2006
Hi Chaps, just joined cycling forums, so big hello to all fellow cyclists everywhere!
I have an old Suntour Cyclone rear mech which I guess is from the seventies. It's in good working order apart from badly worn jockey wheels. I spent three quid on a pair of replacement Shimano pulleys, only to find that the axle is too big to go through the middle. On returning to the bike shop my query was met with blank stares. Trawling round the internet/ ebay has also proved fruitless. Does anyone know of a manufacturer who still makes a compatible item?

Or is a fortysomething vet still riding steel just a dinosaur in the brave new world of titanium and carbon?

nickynice said:
Hi Chaps, just joined cycling forums, so big hello to all fellow cyclists everywhere!
I have an old Suntour Cyclone rear mech which I guess is from the seventies. It's in good working order apart from badly worn jockey wheels. I spent three quid on a pair of replacement Shimano pulleys, only to find that the axle is too big to go through the middle. On returning to the bike shop my query was met with blank stares. Trawling round the internet/ ebay has also proved fruitless. Does anyone know of a manufacturer who still makes a compatible item?

Or is a fortysomething vet still riding steel just a dinosaur in the brave new world of titanium and carbon?

Here is a link from a US manufacturer and another for an eBay listing, but they are pricey and you could get a whole derailleur for less, even an old stock suntour derailleur on eBay if you wanted to stay with Suntrour.

http://www.somafab.com/pullies.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUNTOUR-sealed-...202083718QQcategoryZ27950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would call around to other bike shops to see if someone has some old stock pulleys that would work, or even used ones in decent condition. Some will have salvaged such parts from broken derailleurs that are still good enough to use as replacements.

Thanks very much for the links JohnM. These new items are a bit expensive really, especially with the shipping cost to England. Cycling's supposed to be cheap after all. It looks like I will have to do as you suggest and trapse around bike jumbles looking for second hand spares!