Suntour hub and freewheel

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill Kingson, May 24, 2003.

  1. Bill Kingson

    Bill Kingson Guest

    I have a Suntour hub with a 7 speed freewheel. Will other freewheels fit this hub, or only Suntour 7
    speed? TIA

    Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Bill Kingson <[email protected]> writes:

    > I have a Suntour hub with a 7 speed freewheel. Will other freewheels fit this hub, or only Suntour
    > 7 speed? TIA

    Freewheel threads have not changed since their introduction many years ago. Only the French insisted
    on using a metric thread but did not prevail. A three-speed freewheel will fit as well.

  3. Bill Kingson wrote:
    > I have a Suntour hub with a 7 speed freewheel. Will other freewheels fit this hub, or only Suntour
    > 7 speed? TIA

    If it is a freewheel, any freewheel will fit, with the exception of some bronze-age French units.

    If it's a cassette, however, you're SOL, because the current management of SunTour doesn't choose to
    support the cassette format.

    Sheldon "Can't Get 'Em" Brown +-----------------------------------------+
    | Bicycling isn't supposed to hurt! See: |
    | http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html |
    +-----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  4. In my experience, freewheel hub threads are pretty much universal. But ther are, I'm sure
    exceptions.

  5. Bob Taylor

    Bob Taylor Guest

    Any other 7 speed freewheel (except old French ones) will screw onto your hub but may not work. The
    Suntour 7 speed freewheels require little (if any) more space than a 6 speed freewheel but a Sachs 7
    speed freewheel does need more space. I learned this the hard way when I tried to put a Sachs 7
    speed onto my 126 mm OLN hub to replace the 7 speed Suntour one. The outer cog on the freewheel was
    too close to the dropout to allow the chain to fit onto it (the freewheel may even have been wide
    enough to project the outer cog out past the locknut. It was about 10 years ago and I don't remember
    for sure. Anyway the Sachs freewheel didn't work.) I'm not sure whether a 7 speed Shimano freewheel
    would work or not.

    In any case my point is that you should check to see whether any new freewheel will fit into the
    space on your hub.

    Bob

    Bill Kingson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a Suntour hub with a 7 speed freewheel. Will other freewheels fit this hub, or only Suntour
    > 7 speed? TIA
    >
    > Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Bill Kingson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Suntour hub with a 7 speed freewheel. Will other freewheels fit this hub, or only Suntour
    > 7 speed? TIA

    Any standard thread freewheel. With axle spacing and/or gear changer adjustments, any 5, 6, 7 or 8
    speed freewheel . Before the early 1980s there were other threads; French, which is larger diameter,
    and Italian, which is the same diameter and pitch but with a varied thread form ( fits acceptably in
    most cases but not with aluminum bodies)

    Suntours have the advantage of excellent broadly available cog support, in spite of having been last
    produced more than ten years ago. Modern equipment is woefully inadequate in comparison.

  7. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    suntours are inferior in operation to shimano freewheels in operation due to the designs. The
    suntour-read history of the suntour company-is a good unit but fallls short of shimano thought: the
    ST makes a good spare rear wheel.The shim shifts so much better, is less destructive of the chain
    and is quieter.

  8. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    George Daniels writes:

    > suntours are inferior in operation to shimano freewheels in operation due to the designs. The
    > suntour-read history of the suntour company-is a good unit but fallls short of shimano thought:
    > the ST makes a good spare rear wheel. The shim shifts so much better, is less destructive of the
    > chain and is quieter.

    Could you put a little meat on your testimonial and explain why anyone should believe what you
    claim. "Where's the beef?" I for one, have ridden SunTour freewheels great distances and on steep
    grades finding them as durable as any I've used. Besides that they use large pivot pawls that do not
    snap sharply, and therefore, cannot be heard clicking. So how are sprockets more or less destructive
    to a chain?

  9. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    given adequate mileages with both design/manufacture types, the rider, *paying close attention to
    the definition of occurances or performance phenomena, number of occurance,type,severity and
    comparing the two design groups, that is shimano and OLD suntour perfects AND that includes ham
    handed installations of stuff, wear mismatches and various excresence of that ilk worn by us
    lesser riders who grub ^%$& from dumpsters,ahem,(there's the green line agin)that the shimano
    people produce a rear cluster that is better shifting and quieter and requires less fiddling to
    get the chain riding properly in alignment between CR and rear cluster and thru the
    pulleys/cage-and this deducks hmmmm 7-8% aggravation better spent watching for the errant SUV
    bearing down on ur bod dude.OFF Course this in no way implies any criticism of the Suntour product
    which is well designed, well made, attractive, durable, and can be used as a spare or door
    stop,paper weight...its just that it seems like the shim people spent more time on R/D just like
    frank sez. reality marches onward.its not like the ramps and gear alignments of the shim vs. the
    suntour force any radical alteration of personal umwelt like say the 8/9 friction/index posture
    ongoing somwhere else.making the distinction, see sentence or rather see asterick* i guess,
    experiencing a simple mechanism is pleasurabble whereas doing ditto with your fuel injected
    renooh... now does this answer the question?

  10. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:

    > given adequate mileages with both design/manufacture types, the rider, *paying close attention to
    > the definition of occurances or performance phenomena, number of occurance,type,severity and
    > comparing the two design groups, that is shimano and OLD suntour perfects AND that includes ham
    > handed installations of stuff, wear mismatches and various excresence of that ilk worn by us
    > lesser riders who grub ^%$& from dumpsters,ahem,(there's the green line agin)that the shimano
    > people produce a rear cluster that is better shifting and quieter and requires less fiddling to
    > get the chain riding properly in alignment between CR and rear cluster and thru the
    > pulleys/cage-and this deducks hmmmm 7-8% aggravation better spent watching for the errant SUV
    > bearing down on ur bod dude.OFF Course this in no way implies any criticism of the Suntour product
    > which is well designed, well made, attractive, durable, and can be used as a spare or door
    > stop,paper weight...its just that it seems like the shim people spent more time on R/D just like
    > frank sez. reality marches onward.its not like the ramps and gear alignments of the shim vs. the
    > suntour force any radical alteration of personal umwelt like say the 8/9 friction/index posture
    > ongoing somwhere else.making the distinction, see sentence or rather see asterick* i guess,
    > experiencing a simple mechanism is pleasurabble whereas doing ditto with your fuel injected
    > renooh... now does this answer the question?

    No, it doesn't.

    I could be wrong, though, because your writing is unintelligible. Try some actual sentences, they do
    improve communication.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  11. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    the problem is that:
    1) you can't read.
    2) no sense of humor
    3) you don't understand what's going on here either with the bike or the technology of the two
    companies.
    4) its Bob Hope's birthday and the first body count at 9.
    5) you have no sense of rythm.
    6) you're not smart enough to either listen to music, or read poetry.
    7)you lack the coordination to walk chew gum and ride a cycle.
    8)the purpose of Bike.tech and the digital revolution has escaped your intelligence.
    9) you have bad breath like a dead goat. when i have time i'll add some more factors and look for a
    donor monkey's brain to send west.