Suntour hub and freewheel

Bill Kingson

Guest
I have a Suntour hub with a 7 speed freewheel. Will other freewheels fit this hub, or only Suntour 7
speed? TIA

Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

Bill Kingson <[email protected]> writes:

> I have a Suntour hub with a 7 speed freewheel. Will other freewheels fit this hub, or only Suntour
> 7 speed? TIA

Freewheel threads have not changed since their introduction many years ago. Only the French insisted
on using a metric thread but did not prevail. A three-speed freewheel will fit as well.

Bill Kingson wrote:
> I have a Suntour hub with a 7 speed freewheel. Will other freewheels fit this hub, or only Suntour
> 7 speed? TIA

If it is a freewheel, any freewheel will fit, with the exception of some bronze-age French units.

If it's a cassette, however, you're SOL, because the current management of SunTour doesn't choose to
support the cassette format.

Sheldon "Can't Get 'Em" Brown +-----------------------------------------+
| Bicycling isn't supposed to hurt! See: |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html |
+-----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

In my experience, freewheel hub threads are pretty much universal. But ther are, I'm sure
exceptions.

Any other 7 speed freewheel (except old French ones) will screw onto your hub but may not work. The
Suntour 7 speed freewheels require little (if any) more space than a 6 speed freewheel but a Sachs 7
speed freewheel does need more space. I learned this the hard way when I tried to put a Sachs 7
speed onto my 126 mm OLN hub to replace the 7 speed Suntour one. The outer cog on the freewheel was
too close to the dropout to allow the chain to fit onto it (the freewheel may even have been wide
enough to project the outer cog out past the locknut. It was about 10 years ago and I don't remember
for sure. Anyway the Sachs freewheel didn't work.) I'm not sure whether a 7 speed Shimano freewheel
would work or not.

In any case my point is that you should check to see whether any new freewheel will fit into the
space on your hub.

Bob

Bill Kingson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Suntour hub with a 7 speed freewheel. Will other freewheels fit this hub, or only Suntour
> 7 speed? TIA
>
> Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

"Bill Kingson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a Suntour hub with a 7 speed freewheel. Will other freewheels fit this hub, or only Suntour
> 7 speed? TIA

Any standard thread freewheel. With axle spacing and/or gear changer adjustments, any 5, 6, 7 or 8
speed freewheel . Before the early 1980s there were other threads; French, which is larger diameter,
and Italian, which is the same diameter and pitch but with a varied thread form ( fits acceptably in
most cases but not with aluminum bodies)

Suntours have the advantage of excellent broadly available cog support, in spite of having been last
produced more than ten years ago. Modern equipment is woefully inadequate in comparison.

suntours are inferior in operation to shimano freewheels in operation due to the designs. The
suntour-read history of the suntour company-is a good unit but fallls short of shimano thought: the
ST makes a good spare rear wheel.The shim shifts so much better, is less destructive of the chain
and is quieter.

George Daniels writes:

> suntours are inferior in operation to shimano freewheels in operation due to the designs. The
> suntour-read history of the suntour company-is a good unit but fallls short of shimano thought:
> the ST makes a good spare rear wheel. The shim shifts so much better, is less destructive of the
> chain and is quieter.

Could you put a little meat on your testimonial and explain why anyone should believe what you
claim. "Where's the beef?" I for one, have ridden SunTour freewheels great distances and on steep
grades finding them as durable as any I've used. Besides that they use large pivot pawls that do not
snap sharply, and therefore, cannot be heard clicking. So how are sprockets more or less destructive
to a chain?

given adequate mileages with both design/manufacture types, the rider, *paying close attention to
the definition of occurances or performance phenomena, number of occurance,type,severity and
comparing the two design groups, that is shimano and OLD suntour perfects AND that includes ham
handed installations of stuff, wear mismatches and various excresence of that ilk worn by us
lesser riders who grub ^%$& from dumpsters,ahem,(there's the green line agin)that the shimano
people produce a rear cluster that is better shifting and quieter and requires less fiddling to
get the chain riding properly in alignment between CR and rear cluster and thru the
pulleys/cage-and this deducks hmmmm 7-8% aggravation better spent watching for the errant SUV
bearing down on ur bod dude.OFF Course this in no way implies any criticism of the Suntour product
which is well designed, well made, attractive, durable, and can be used as a spare or door
stop,paper weight...its just that it seems like the shim people spent more time on R/D just like
frank sez. reality marches onward.its not like the ramps and gear alignments of the shim vs. the
suntour force any radical alteration of personal umwelt like say the 8/9 friction/index posture
ongoing somwhere else.making the distinction, see sentence or rather see asterick* i guess,
experiencing a simple mechanism is pleasurabble whereas doing ditto with your fuel injected
renooh... now does this answer the question?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:

> given adequate mileages with both design/manufacture types, the rider, *paying close attention to
> the definition of occurances or performance phenomena, number of occurance,type,severity and
> comparing the two design groups, that is shimano and OLD suntour perfects AND that includes ham
> handed installations of stuff, wear mismatches and various excresence of that ilk worn by us
> lesser riders who grub ^%$& from dumpsters,ahem,(there's the green line agin)that the shimano
> people produce a rear cluster that is better shifting and quieter and requires less fiddling to
> get the chain riding properly in alignment between CR and rear cluster and thru the
> pulleys/cage-and this deducks hmmmm 7-8% aggravation better spent watching for the errant SUV
> bearing down on ur bod dude.OFF Course this in no way implies any criticism of the Suntour product
> which is well designed, well made, attractive, durable, and can be used as a spare or door
> stop,paper weight...its just that it seems like the shim people spent more time on R/D just like
> frank sez. reality marches onward.its not like the ramps and gear alignments of the shim vs. the
> suntour force any radical alteration of personal umwelt like say the 8/9 friction/index posture
> ongoing somwhere else.making the distinction, see sentence or rather see asterick* i guess,
> experiencing a simple mechanism is pleasurabble whereas doing ditto with your fuel injected
> renooh... now does this answer the question?

No, it doesn't.

I could be wrong, though, because your writing is unintelligible. Try some actual sentences, they do
improve communication.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

the problem is that:
1) you can't read.
2) no sense of humor
3) you don't understand what's going on here either with the bike or the technology of the two
companies.
4) its Bob Hope's birthday and the first body count at 9.
5) you have no sense of rythm.
6) you're not smart enough to either listen to music, or read poetry.
7)you lack the coordination to walk chew gum and ride a cycle.
8)the purpose of Bike.tech and the digital revolution has escaped your intelligence.
9) you have bad breath like a dead goat. when i have time i'll add some more factors and look for a
donor monkey's brain to send west.