Suntour hub remover

Daveb

Guest
My road bike has a Suntour freewheel and I want to get it
off to check out what I think might be a bearing problem.
The Suntour hub needs the 4 prong hub remover tool which
I've seen on some of the UK and US websites but haven't seen
on any of the Aus websites. Is it likely that there is a hub
remover that removes mutiple types of hub, is it called
something else in Aus, or am I just going to have to order
one from OS.

Dave B.

"DaveB" wrote:

> My road bike has a Suntour freewheel and I want to get it
> off to check out what I think might be a bearing problem.
> The Suntour hub needs the 4 prong hub remover tool which
> I've seen on some of the UK and US websites but haven't
> seen on any of the Aus websites. Is it likely that there
> is a hub remover that removes mutiple types of hub, is it
> called something else in Aus, or am I just going to have
> to order one from OS.

Phantom Cycles - http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/ - list the
specific tool as the "Park FR-3". It's under "ACCESSORIES" /
"Tools" / "Cassette / Sprocket Tools".

John

<[The Suntour hub needs the 4 prong hub remover tool>

Have you tried your LBS?

Have you tried the "old timers" at your club who may lend it to you or remove the freewheel for you?

Mike

John Henderson wrote:
> "DaveB" wrote:
>

>>My road bike has a Suntour freewheel and I want to get it
>>off to check out what I think might be a bearing problem.
>>The Suntour hub needs the 4 prong hub remover tool which
>>I've seen on some of the UK and US websites but haven't
>>seen on any of the Aus websites. Is it likely that there
>>is a hub remover that removes mutiple types of hub, is it
>>called something else in Aus, or am I just going to have
>>to order one from OS.
>

> Phantom Cycles - http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/ - list
> the specific tool as the "Park FR-3". It's under
> "ACCESSORIES" / "Tools" / "Cassette / Sprocket Tools".
>
> John

Ahh thanks, I think my problem was I was searching for
suntour rather than sun tour.

Dave B

> Even the company itself couldn't decide on the correct
> spelling - see
> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/page35.htm. But
> they certainly made great stuff.
>
> John

So much of what you read about cycling is European based it
never ocurred to me that SunTour was a Japanese company.
Actually, reading that link was the first time I ever really
thought about the name Shimano being Japanese (kinda obvious
now). Reading the reviews on the SunTour gear made me
appreciate what I've got, pity it will probably need to be
replaced by the end of this year. Dave B.

Originally posted by Daveb
My road bike has a Suntour freewheel and I want to get it
off to check out what I think might be a bearing problem.
The Suntour hub needs the 4 prong hub remover tool which
I've seen on some of the UK and US websites but haven't seen
on any of the Aus websites. Is it likely that there is a hub
remover that removes mutiple types of hub, is it called
something else in Aus, or am I just going to have to order
one from OS.

Dave B.

Forget about websites and just stroll down to your bicycle shop. There were shoals of Suntour freewheels about a few years ago (still are a good few) and any respectable shop will have the tool. Have one myself, which I would be happy to lend if you live in the Melbourne area. Contact me through this News Group.

For years bicycle shops had big boards with all the Suntour cogs hanging on nails. You could just replace the worn ones and you could make up any tooth combination you fancied. Good system - why don't we suggest it to Campagnolo and Shimano? Not all change is progress.

John Retchford