Suntour Superbe Pro Upgrade??

deshlert

Oct 15, 2003
I have an older Trek (1985 660s) that I just dusted off and would like to start riding again. The bike is fairly unique in that it doesn't seem to show up in any of the literature. It is really a 1985 670 with Suntour Superbe Pro components instead of the Campy components that the stock 670 came with. Anyway, I had the brakes upgraded many years ago (6-7?) with Shimano 105s. I'd like to update the rest of the bike to match. However, I'm a bit lost as to what can be upgraded and what makes the most sense.
Any feedback in terms of high "bang-for-the-buck" upgrades and/or manufacturer recommendations would be very welcome.

BTW: I just bought another older Trek (1986 560) that has Shimano 600 components that I was thinking of switching with my Suntour, etc. components. Good idea?

Thanks,
Terry

Originally posted by deshlert
I have an older Trek (1985 660s) that I just dusted off and would like to start riding again. The bike is fairly unique in that it doesn't seem to show up in any of the literature. It is really a 1985 670 with Suntour Superbe Pro components instead of the Campy components that the stock 670 came with. Anyway, I had the brakes upgraded many years ago (6-7?) with Shimano 105s. I'd like to update the rest of the bike to match. However, I'm a bit lost as to what can be upgraded and what makes the most sense.
Any feedback in terms of high "bang-for-the-buck" upgrades and/or manufacturer recommendations would be very welcome.

BTW: I just bought another older Trek (1986 560) that has Shimano 600 components that I was thinking of switching with my Suntour, etc. components. Good idea?

Thanks,
Terry
Great old TREK!
Does it fit you?
What would you consider an upgrade?
I suggest a vist to Sheldon Brown's web site for good informational articles that you could use. URL:
http://sheldonbrown.com/
Take a close look at the tires and brakes before you start riding any hills.
Check the lubrication in all the bearing areas.
Your chain, tires, and/or tubes may need changing due aging or corosion.
You may find a TREK "person" who would like to take the bikes off you hands, if you want to start with a new bicycle.

Thanks,
Terry
Spread the rear triangle and you can put anything on it you want,but what is wrong with the Suntour,other than possibly not being index? Best bang for the buck is Shimano 105 or Campy veloce or centaur.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Spread the rear triangle and you can put anything on it you want,but what is wrong with the Suntour,other than possibly not being index? Best bang for the buck is Shimano 105 or Campy veloce or centaur.

Bourdeaux,

Thanks for the comments. The Suntour seem fine. The only thing, it's more personal than anything else, is that I like things to match. I'd like to have a complete (or mostly complete) group. My crank set, BB, hubs, and free-wheel are all non-Superbe Pro. That's one reason I was looking to upgrade. Probably not a very good reason.

Originally posted by daveornee
Great old TREK!
Does it fit you?
What would you consider an upgrade?
I suggest a vist to Sheldon Brown's web site for good informational articles that you could use. URL:
http://sheldonbrown.com/
Take a close look at the tires and brakes before you start riding any hills.
Check the lubrication in all the bearing areas.
Your chain, tires, and/or tubes may need changing due aging or corosion.
You may find a TREK "person" who would like to take the bikes off you hands, if you want to start with a new bicycle.

Daveornee,

Thanks for your reply. It does fit me well. At least it fit well the last time I road it. When I started thinking about cycling again, I remembered that I always wanted to upgrade the wheel set. It still has the orginal Matrix Titan annodized rims and Suntour Gyro-Master hubs. When I started looking at eBay, it got me thinking about going to a different group. I like things to match. My crank set, BB, hubs, etc. are all non-Superbe Pro. While this is probably not a very good reason to upgrade.....that's where my mind started going.

In terms of the other Trek bike, I bought it really for my wife who will be doing her first Triathalon early next year. She's been off a bike for just as long as me and is probably in worse shape. Anyway, I bought it with the idea of taking off all the Shimano 600 components and putting them on my bike and giving her the Superbe Pro and misc. stuff. Again, mostly because I like things to match.

So, that's the whole story. Thanks again for your comments. Any other ideas would be welcome.

Daveornee,

Thanks for your reply. It does fit me well. At least it fit well the last time I road it. When I started thinking about cycling again, I remembered that I always wanted to upgrade the wheel set. It still has the orginal Matrix Titan annodized rims and Suntour Gyro-Master hubs. When I started looking at eBay, it got me thinking about going to a different group. I like things to match. My crank set, BB, hubs, etc. are all non-Superbe Pro. While this is probably not a very good reason to upgrade.....that's where my mind started going.

In terms of the other Trek bike, I bought it really for my wife who will be doing her first Triathalon early next year. She's been off a bike for just as long as me and is probably in worse shape. Anyway, I bought it with the idea of taking off all the Shimano 600 components and putting them on my bike and giving her the Superbe Pro and misc. stuff. Again, mostly because I like things to match.

So, that's the whole story. Thanks again for your comments. Any other ideas would be welcome.

I agree with boudreaux on the 105 and Campy groups.
The vintage TREKS you have are likely 126 mm between the rear dropouts. Most of today's road bicycles are 130 mm. If you choose to move to the 8/9/10 speed rear hubs, you will need to spread your rear dropouts 2 mm per side. Steel frames take the spread without difficulties.
Time, tools, additional parts, lubes will be apart of the process.
I think you could leave your wife's bicylce as is and choose the upgrade path you want for you bicycle. It sounds like 105 would be the way to go as you already have 105 brakes.
The Park Tool website is helpful at URL:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/index.shtml
and especially URL:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
by clicking on the illustration of the bicycle part of interest.
You can get more information on the current Shimano components at their website URL:
http://bike.shimano.com/Road/index.asp

My crank set, BB, hubs, and free-wheel are all non-Superbe Pro. That's one reason I was looking to upgrade. Probably not a very good reason.
Whatever turns the cranks.Every bike I own is a mongrel. Check www.exelsports.com for complete build hits.