suntour superbe pro vs. shimano 600

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Fenton Holiday, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. i recently acquired a set of superbe pro crank arms as a bonus in an ebay auction. i am thinking of swapping them onto my 'cross bike which currently is set up with shimano 600 cranks. any thoughts on how superbe pro compare to shimano 600 in stiffness/performance/weight?

    also, they appear to be square taper - will they fit a shimano bottom bracket and are shimano chainrings compatible?

    thanks, mike

    Tags:

  2. "Fenton Holiday" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > any thoughts on how superbe pro compare to shimano 600 in
    > stiffness/performance/weight?

    The Suntours are a little lighter, perhaps a little less stiff. Superbe Pro was
    Suntour's Dura Ace competitor. The finish of the last Superbe Pro components was
    comparable to the best of Campagnolo.

    > also, they appear to be square taper - will they fit a shimano bottom bracket
    > and are shimano chainrings compatible?

    Superbe Pro cranks are best mated with a Superbe Pro bottom bracket, which used a
    European (Campag) taper. Suntour units are rare. The best modern alternative is a
    111mm symmetrical Campag BB. I've also used a 102mm Campag Chorus unit with a 3mm
    spacer under the fixed cup. A Shimano 107mm UN52 or similar will work if you're
    light, but isn't the best choice.

    Later Superbe Pro cranks used a 130mm bolt circle - the same as modern Shimano.
    Older models used 144mm.

    James Thomson

  3. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    [email protected] (Fenton Holiday) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > i recently acquired a set of superbe pro crank arms as a
    > bonus in an ebay auction. i am thinking of swapping them
    > onto my 'cross bike which currently is set up with shimano
    > 600 cranks. any thoughts on how superbe pro compare to
    > shimano 600 in stiffness/performance/weight?
    >
    > also, they appear to be square taper - will they fit a
    > shimano bottom bracket and are shimano chainrings
    > compatible?

    Can't really answer your questions but I treasure my set. I
    would use them on my show bikes. If I want smooth indexing,
    I change the rings to DA9. The cranks feel VERY light. It's
    the BB that's heavy. My other favorite Superbe Pro piece is
    the rear deraileur. I pick Suntour over any brand (if they
    work with STI).

  4. BaCardi

    BaCardi New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2003
    Suntour is out of business and the Superbe Pro items are cult-like. I remember Steve Bauer riding on them.

  5. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >also, they appear to be square taper - will they fit a
    >shimano bottom bracket and are shimano chainrings
    >compatible?

    Yes, but. Superbe cranks used a slightly different taper angle-
    1.8 degrees vs. 2 degrees for everyone else. In practice
    this means nothing because unless they're NOS they've been
    put on a 2 degree spindle at some time. they'll be fine.
    Phil brown

  6. Gonzo Bob

    Gonzo Bob New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Superbe Pro stuff is much nicer than 600. I have a pair of Superpe Pro hubs and they are the nicer and smoother than my Dura-ace and Campy hubs.

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Fenton Holiday" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i recently acquired a set of superbe pro crank arms as a
    > bonus in an ebay auction. i am thinking of swapping them
    > onto my 'cross bike which currently is set up with shimano
    > 600 cranks. any thoughts on how superbe pro compare to
    > shimano 600 in stiffness/performance/weight?
    >
    > also, they appear to be square taper - will they fit a
    > shimano bottom bracket and are shimano chainrings
    > compatible?
    >
    > thanks, mike

    Hey Mike!

    That Superbe Pro stuff is junk! No one liked it, its
    outdated, heavy, flexy, and well, just not cool.

    You can fix all that by sending that crankset to me! I'll
    even pay postage.

    I don't give a hoot what people think about me. I'll ride
    those cranks with my head held high, enduring the
    ridicule for you.

    How's that?

    Mike

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Gonzo Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > wrote:
    > > how superbe pro compare to shimano 600 in
    stiffness/performance/weight?

    > Superbe Pro stuff is much nicer than 600. I have a pair of
    > Superpe Pro hubs and they are the nicer and smoother than
    > my Dura-ace and Campy hubs.

    Shhhh! I may have had him going there for a nano-second!

    Mike

  9. Fixey

    Fixey New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2004
    Just aquired an old falcon, donated actually, has a full set of very late model STSP, minus brakes, shall we talk price mike?:p