Suntour Superbe Tech Rear Deraileur problems

Dave

Guest
I'm pretty new here. I have a C-dale tourer with a long cage suntour superbe
tech rear der. The cage not only moves forward n back, it also is built to
move side to side. This is an old design they had in the 70's. Is it
possible the spring is sprung wrong or another because it favors turning
away from the bike so the chain does not track right. When I back pedal the
chain goes all crazy on it. Thanks for any help with this.1964 - Invention
of the slant parallelogram rear derailleur info:
http://www.hadland.me.uk/page35.htm

news:1Sb%[email protected]...
> I'm pretty new here. I have a C-dale tourer with a long cage suntour
> superbe
> tech rear der. The cage not only moves forward n back, it also is built to
> move side to side.

It's not built to do that. It will do that if the internal parallel linkage
breaks, usually from cross-chaining. It was very a very common failure,
which is why that model only lasted one year, I believe 1983.

> This is an old design they had in the 70's. Is it
> possible the spring is sprung wrong or another because it favors turning
> away from the bike so the chain does not track right. When I back pedal
> the
> chain goes all crazy on it. Thanks for any help with this.1964 - Invention
> of the slant parallelogram rear derailleur info:
> http://www.hadland.me.uk/page35.htm

From that page: "SunTour also introduced the Superbe Tech series of in 1983
with an elegant enclosed parallelogram. The design was flawed. The internal
pivots wore or the return spring failed. It took special tools to repair and
reassemble a Tech derailleur and no one tried. "

I had one that broke the third time I rode it. The cage went into the
spokes. The fact that I was going up a hill at 6 mph is the only thing that
kept the hanger from getting torn off.

Be glad you got 23 years out of it, and go get a Sora or Tiagra or Alivio
long cage to replace it.

Hope that helps-

Hank

Super help Hank, thank you!! , I opted to replace this thing with a deore
long cage der.
Dave

"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:N%c%[email protected]...

> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1Sb%[email protected]...
> > I'm pretty new here. I have a C-dale tourer with a long cage suntour
> > superbe
> > tech rear der. The cage not only moves forward n back, it also is built

> > move side to side.

> It's not built to do that. It will do that if the internal parallel

linkage
> breaks, usually from cross-chaining. It was very a very common failure,
> which is why that model only lasted one year, I believe 1983.
>
> > This is an old design they had in the 70's. Is it
> > possible the spring is sprung wrong or another because it favors turning
> > away from the bike so the chain does not track right. When I back pedal
> > the
> > chain goes all crazy on it. Thanks for any help with this.1964 -

Invention
> > of the slant parallelogram rear derailleur info:
> > http://www.hadland.me.uk/page35.htm
> >

> From that page: "SunTour also introduced the Superbe Tech series of in

1983