Suntour XC Pro Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil Wolfe

I have heard that late model Suntour rear deraillers were interchangeable with Shimano rear
deraillers. Is this true? If it is would I be able to use a Suntour XC Pro long cage rear derailler
for a 9 speed setup on a recumbent. I have a NOS Suntour rear I would love to put to use. Thanks,
Philip Wolfe

"Phil Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have heard that late model Suntour rear deraillers were interchangeable with Shimano
> rear deraillers. Is this true? If it is would I be able to use a Suntour XC Pro long cage
> rear derailler for a 9 speed setup on a recumbent. I have a NOS Suntour rear I would love
> to put to use.

After the original Maeda Industries merged with SR-Sakae and then failed, a new company, Suntour
Taiwan was formed. They made (late 1990s) Shimano-compatible freewheels, cassettes and changers.
Your Suntour XCPro is earlier than that series and is not compatible with Shimano index systems.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

On Tue, 06 May 2003 12:05:46 -0500, Phil Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have heard that late model Suntour rear deraillers were interchangeable with Shimano rear
>deraillers. Is this true? If it is would I be able to use a Suntour XC Pro long cage rear derailler
>for a 9 speed setup on a recumbent. I have a NOS Suntour rear I would love to put to use. Thanks,
>Philip Wolfe

I was looking at used bikes recently and noticed that one old Stumpjumper with Suntour index and
deraillleurs had a Shimano freewheel (6 speed). It shifted fine and I wouldn't have noticed except
for looking over the parts closely after a test ride. I asked the bike store owner and he said that
it was a **** shoot- some late model Suntours (meaning late '80s, before they went under and long
before the reincarnation in the late '90s) worked well with Shimano freewheels, and some didn't. He
had never found a real pattern, a definite 'this shifter/this derailleur/this freewheel' works.

Try it? Other than maybe a cable, not much to lose

Status
Not open for further replies.