Suntours 4 sprong freewheel removal tool, anyone ?

* * Chas wrote:
> I discovered that I have 2 different styles of Suntour 4 slot freewheels.
> Most of them have deep slots that the standard Suntour 4 prong removal
> tool works on.
> Some of my later Suntour freewheels take a different kind of tool that
> needs to be chamfered around the OD of the prongs.
> I've never seen one of these tools, are they available or do I have to
> grind the chamfers on myself.

Hmm. Suntour seemed to think they offered only:
Original two-notch bodies
Later four-notch style
Six-prong Microlite aluminum series and
EZ-Off, their groundbreaking BMX design, which is still the overwhelming
standard for one-speeders.

AFAIK all Suntour four-notch bodies use the same tool, TA-320. (and yes,
I just checked several years of Suntour catalogs, allowing for
age-related memory issues)
SR-Suntour Taiwan freewheels all use the Shimano UG type remover.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

I'll PM you a picture.

Chas.

news:[email protected]...

webhead wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Since I'm living in Europe and Parktool seems to be the only one
> making this thing I'm looking at a +20$ bill due to shipping alone.
> That's a bit harsh on the budget to bring an old wheel back to life.
>
> Anyone has something like this lying around? Alternatives ?

Well, I have a 4-prong freewheel puller, but I think it's meant for my
single-speed freewheel. But maybe it's what you need. I also have a
2-prong freewheel puller that AFAICR fit the old Regina freewheels.

It just so happens I am headed to Spain in 2 weeks. If you think either
of these might work and if you happen to be there as well, drop me a note.

--

David L. Johnson

"What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
What are you on?"
--Lance Armstrong

David L. Johnson wrote:
> Well, I have a 4-prong freewheel puller, but I think it's meant for my
> single-speed freewheel. But maybe it's what you need. I also have a
> 2-prong freewheel puller that AFAICR fit the old Regina freewheels.
>
> It just so happens I am headed to Spain in 2 weeks. If you think either
> of these might work and if you happen to be there as well, drop me a note.

A small item such as a freewheel remover flies cheaply in an Air Letter.
Or have a shop remove it for a Euro or two.