Super Clydesdale Looking To Get Into Biking

toastytg

Oct 13, 2015
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a fat tire bike. I am 375. I dont even know where to begin. I realize i am over twice the weight of the typical rider. Do they even make a bike for someone like me? Any tips, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking to spend thousands of dollars to get into biking, but i came to a rude awakening when i saw how expensive fat tire bikes can be (my last 15 speed bike was under $300).

Thanks,

You will spend more to get a Fat Bike vs. a traditional mountain bike. Is there a reason to go with the Fat Bike?

Fat Bikes are built beefy, but you may want to check with the manufacturers to see if there is a weight limit. You may be especially hard on wheels and brakes.

I been looking into getting a Fat Bike myself there are some good options for under $1k. I been looking at BikesDirect, Nashbar house brand bikes. Also Framed makes some nice affordable fat bikes that you can actually find in bike shops. The framed Minnesota 1.0 and 2.0 look pretty nice.

my computer crashed and it didnt look like the post went.. sorry for the duplicates...

reason for fat tire: my thinking was.. bigger person, bigger tires, less problems? i also would like to ride in less than fair weather.. it is winter weather 6 months out of the year here.. i can ride on lakes, snow if fat tire i suppose.

like i said, i am fairly clueless other than i know i cant expect much if i buy a $300 bike.

IM NEW HERE AND IM NOT SURE IF YOU ARE STILL HERE BUT....
EDUCATION IS THE KEY. I BOUGHT A CHEAPER BIKE, THEN HAD TO KEEP REPAIRING IT. OPTED FOR A MORE EXPENSIVE BIKE, WITH THAT ONE HAD PROBLEMS WITH SPOKED BRAKING. THEN I WENT TO A FEW SHOPS AND WAS TOLD FOR MY WEIGHT I NEEDED RIMS THAT WOULD SUPPORT MY WEIGHT. GO TO A COUPLE SHOPS AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. MY THEN NEW BIKE COST 450 + 75 FOR MY RIM.

Hey there! Yeah, finding the right bike can be a challenge. But once you do, it's like riding on clouds! ‍♀️ Don't worry about the repair journey, we all go through that. Just keep shredding those trails! ‍♂️