Super Galaxy up to the job

dubwoy

Jan 15, 2004
Hello all, ive been offered a Dawes Super Galaxy, with full XT groupset, Mavic t221 for 450 UK, it sounds like a good deal for the a bike with such a good rep. about 1200 uk all in all
ONly problem is with the 700c tyres im planning to go to Alaska to cycle to Argentina, im wondering if the bike will be good for this type of touring, and will it be ok if fitted with Marathon XR tyres for the road conditions. Does anyone know the chances of getting replacement Marathons alomg the way ie in S. Am.
Thanks in Advance all

The super galaxy is a good bike and the xt groupset is a good workhorse set. as for your tyres/chains/spares how about working out a reasonable lifespan and then making sure there are spares waiting for you. You should be able to track down a post office or someone to keep an eye on stuff for you on the internet.

try to keep drive stuff reasonably clean and maintained on the road so that you get a decent life out of them and take special care during/after difficult/dusty/salty sections. get into a routine of checking/tightening components regularly.

I can't remember what shifters the bike uses but I'd opt for bar end so that the indexing can switched off if necessary.

Have fun.

Sounds like a good trip.

Regards

Steve D

Originally posted by dubwoy
Hello all, ive been offered a Dawes Super Galaxy, with full XT groupset, Mavic t221 for 450 UK, it sounds like a good deal for the a bike with such a good rep. about 1200 uk all in all
ONly problem is with the 700c tyres im planning to go to Alaska to cycle to Argentina, im wondering if the bike will be good for this type of touring, and will it be ok if fitted with Marathon XR tyres for the road conditions. Does anyone know the chances of getting replacement Marathons alomg the way ie in S. Am.
Thanks in Advance all

Thanks in Advance all

I checked for dealer (distributor) in South America on their web site. I don't find one.
SCHWALBE-Distribution Partner in USA:
Moser Enterprises Incorporated
3873 Airport Way
Bellingham, WA 98227
+1-888-700-5860
[email protected]
www.schwalbetires.com
is the only distributor shown in North America. I think it would be a good idea to find a dealer near your route in the southern end of the USA to make a tire change there.

See their dealer/distributor locator at URL:
http://www.schwalbe.com/index.pl?punkt=18

The idea shared by the other poster of having spares mailed to you is a good idea. I also think that a good check up and replacement of wear parts like chain and tires before you go south of the USA border is also a good idea.

Thanks in Advance all

Another thought is to consider Continental Top Touring 2000.
Continental does have distribution into South America.
See URL:
http://www.conti-online.com/generat...ycle/themes/distribution/distribution_en.html
You will need to scroll to the bottom of the page to see South American distribution. You will want to check for actual stocking dealers along your route. Prior planning, like you are doing, pays dividends be mitigating issues that are sure to arise.

I have used their Top Touring tires with good results in full touring load and all weather conditions. They wear well and ride predictably.

Thanks Dave for your efforts it really is appreciated.
The bike has Top touring on at the moment and from just a few rides they seem good, the only reason i was thinking about the Marathons is because i have heard they are the best and the tread looks more suitable to the roads that i will encounter.
Basically i dont want to have to miss out a on backroad adventure due to tyres.Do top touring come in a variety of treads that would handle harsh dirt roads, you know the type i mean.
Thanks for your time mate take care, i look forward to contct

The bike has Top touring on at the moment and from just a few rides they seem good, the only reason i was thinking about the Marathons is because i have heard they are the best and the tread looks more suitable to the roads that i will encounter.
Basically i dont want to have to miss out a on backroad adventure due to tyres.Do top touring come in a variety of treads that would handle harsh dirt roads, you know the type i mean.

Continental Top Touring 2000 has many different sizes, but only one tread pattern. You can view the current tread pattern on their website at URL:
http://www.conti-online.com/generat.../city/toptouring_2000/toptouring_2000_en.html

I have ridden mine in dirt, gravel, and mixed fire roads. I haven't encountered a riding surface where they were the limiting factor.
They will slide on ice and wet leaves. However, short of studded tires for ice, I don't think I could find a better tread for mixed use.
Marathons are great tires. If you didn't need to deal with their limited availability you would be well served by them.

Another thought is to buy 1 or 2 spare Marathon XR with Kevlar bead cores and take them with. See the Schwalbe site at URL:
http://www.schwalbe.com/index.pl?mo...=1155&bereich=&einsatzbereich=&produktgruppe=

If you are using the 35 mm size, your spares would be the same size. I like to carry one spare on loaded tours. Depending on your distance, road conditions, and loaded weight; you might cover the entire tour with the same front tire.
The MARATHON XR is an exception with its high mileage of about 8000 to 15000 km.
Start with at least one spare and see what you think before leaving the USA. Also check with the USA distributor about stocking dealer(s) on your route. If you use up your last spare in route, south of the USA, have a support person mail you a couple tires to a pre-arranged PO or trusted person, or find that Continental shop that you discovered by communicating with the distributors I mentioned in my earlier response.
Take both lists of Continental shops and Schwalbe shops with you. Check ahead of time to make sure they stock the tires you are looking for.