SUPER hungry after ride, what to eat



nismo driver

New Member
Aug 31, 2004
50
0
0
43
i have been ridingon and off for a couple of years, i had much succes a few years back loosing weight then that bike was stolen i purchased a new full suspension xc bike but my living situation changed and didnt ride very much and the bike was not so great for fitness riding (still fun on technical trails) so long story short i finally got a road bike..

now im riding an hour a day averaging about 15mph and alternating my ride from spinning steady one day around 70 - 80 cadence the next day warming up then doing 1 minute sprints then recovering and sprinting for the length of the 14.5 mile route i ride.. so that pretty much covers the ridign im doing at this point.

after the ride i have about a 45 minute drive home and i just drink water but by the time i get home im starving i mostly eat some combination of grilled chicken and vegtables but its never "filling" i just feel like im still so hungry for hour and the next day still..

during the day im eating fruits and yougert for breakfast and a chicken or roast beef sandwich at lunch with maybe a bannana in the afternoon or ill have half the sandwich at lunch and the other half about an hour before teh end of work before i go for my ride.

what kind of snacks can i have or meal should i have that will satisfy my hunger so i dont have to fight the urge to eat more but will not harm my attempts to loose pounds..
 

mongooseboy

New Member
Jul 25, 2005
179
0
0
39
dangerousbiker said:
why not give yourself an energy drink?
thats going to make you feel more hungry...

Try a whole grain bagel, or half one one depending on what kind. plain, nothing else. Or, Protein shakes fill me up a LOT and im good for few hours.

also, ive noticed a light salad (vinigrette dressing has low calories) or even just a raw tomato will make me feel incredibly full, while not adding a lot of calories.
 

factory61

New Member
May 20, 2007
23
0
0
From what I've read, you should replace glycogen stores in your muscles within 20 minutes after your ride. I think you are missing an opportunity for your body to recover properly by waiting as long as you are. There are several recovery drinks out there that are made specifically for what you are looking for. Most have some protein in there as well.


In addition to that, 2 hours after your ride you should focus on a clean protein (fish, chicken, turkey) to help the rebuilding phase.
 

nismo driver

New Member
Aug 31, 2004
50
0
0
43
factory61 said:
From what I've read, you should replace glycogen stores in your muscles within 20 minutes after your ride. I think you are missing an opportunity for your body to recover properly by waiting as long as you are. There are several recovery drinks out there that are made specifically for what you are looking for. Most have some protein in there as well.


In addition to that, 2 hours after your ride you should focus on a clean protein (fish, chicken, turkey) to help the rebuilding phase.
i ordered some of the dedicated athlete rapid recovery drink from performance for after my ride and have tried some accelerade energy gel whicih i might get for before or during longer rides..

once i get home im eating mostly chicken or white fish (my other passion is saltwater fishing so the freezer is full of fluke, flounder, striped bass and blackfish)
 

tfstrum

New Member
Sep 16, 2003
323
0
0
Get some peanuts for the drive home. Good protein and easy to esay in the car...
 

daveryanwyoming

Well-Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
3,857
98
0
tfstrum said:
Get some peanuts for the drive home. Good protein and easy to esay in the car...
Sorry but with all due respect, that is terrible advice. You've got to replace glycogen, i.e. sugar during the critical half hour after completing exercise. Some protein helps the process, but peanuts are almost entirely fat and protein and contain very little in the way of sugars. It's sugars and the glycgogen synthesized from them that is both depleted and necessary for both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. Check out some of these links:

http://www.carbboom.com/education/recovery.php
http://www.maxmuscle.com/index.cfm?fa=article&doc_id=76&subcat=fat_loss_diet
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/aa081403.htm
http://www.milknewsroom.com/downloads/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf
 

nismo driver

New Member
Aug 31, 2004
50
0
0
43
the last couple of longer rides i have been paying more ettention to fueling up better, last saturday i did 22 miles on my road bike then 5 - 10 of single track on my moutnain bike, i know to some thats a warm up but with my schedule it was the most time i could get in.

about a half hour before i started i had a power bar, 45 minuts in i had a GU gel, then shortly after theroad ride and before i started teh trail ride i had another GU then after about 45 minutes of single track and hills i had another GU.. i definately felt the gels helped keep my energy levels up during the rides and afterwards i was mildly hungry that snack of a banana was plenty..

still waiting for the rapid recovery to show up, its been on back order..


thanks for the replies
 

Yojimbo_

Well-Known Member
Apr 17, 2005
1,101
50
48
Have you tried estimating how many calories you require daily, and how many calories you actually take in?

A deficit of 500 calories a day will result in the loss of 1 pound a week. Perhaps, because you said you want to lose weight, you are running too high a deficit and therefore you are always hungry.
 

nismo driver

New Member
Aug 31, 2004
50
0
0
43
Yojimbo_ said:
Have you tried estimating how many calories you require daily, and how many calories you actually take in?

A deficit of 500 calories a day will result in the loss of 1 pound a week. Perhaps, because you said you want to lose weight, you are running too high a deficit and therefore you are always hungry.
not on a very scientific level, but i keep a rough log of my eating and riding habits on fitday dot com, i dont run a deficit everyday but defiantely do a couple days a week and my weekend rides far outweigh my caloric intake on those days.

i do have concerns that powerbars and gels might cancel out my efforts but i definately feel like i much better both during and after my rides when i use these products to provide energy.

i have noticed that im slimming a bit but i dont think its showing on the scale, i chalk that up to building muscle though..
 

tfstrum

New Member
Sep 16, 2003
323
0
0
He didn't say he wanted sugar. I thought I read he wanted something that would hold him over until he could really eat what he wanted. The peanuts are good protein and fat. Hopefully he's not eating enough to chock an elephant.

I use the chocolate milk after rides. Works ok. It's hard to tell what others find useful or are allergic to on a web forum. The guy could be diabetic and lactose intolerant. Heck he could be allergic to peanuts.

Sounds like he's figuring it out on his own anyway.


daveryanwyoming said:
Sorry but with all due respect, that is terrible advice. You've got to replace glycogen, i.e. sugar during the critical half hour after completing exercise. Some protein helps the process, but peanuts are almost entirely fat and protein and contain very little in the way of sugars. It's sugars and the glycgogen synthesized from them that is both depleted and necessary for both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. Check out some of these links:

http://www.carbboom.com/education/recovery.php
http://www.maxmuscle.com/index.cfm?fa=article&doc_id=76&subcat=fat_loss_diet
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/aa081403.htm
http://www.milknewsroom.com/downloads/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf
 

doctorSpoc

New Member
Nov 18, 2005
1,488
4
38
nismo driver said:
the last couple of longer rides i have been paying more ettention to fueling up better, last saturday i did 22 miles on my road bike then 5 - 10 of single track on my moutnain bike, i know to some thats a warm up but with my schedule it was the most time i could get in.

about a half hour before i started i had a power bar, 45 minuts in i had a GU gel, then shortly after theroad ride and before i started teh trail ride i had another GU then after about 45 minutes of single track and hills i had another GU.. i definately felt the gels helped keep my energy levels up during the rides and afterwards i was mildly hungry that snack of a banana was plenty..

still waiting for the rapid recovery to show up, its been on back order..


thanks for the replies
that's the way to go... don't try to limit your food intake during exersise, it's counter productive and try to keep topped up all the time too, just avoid stuffing yourself. stop eating when you are full, eat when you are hungry but not to the point of being stuffed, harder to do than it sounds. starving and stuffing contribute to the weight gain. if you limit your food during exersise then you can't do the workout at a high intensity and you end up burning less calories anyway... not to mention you can end up sick etc if you take it too far... you're not burning too many calories laying in a bed sick...

the other thing is sleep... get as much of it as you can. if you don't get enough sleep you gain weight... i've found this and it was comfirmed by a study i read of why women gain weight after pregnancy... it's not so much eating more as the sleep deprivation causes your body to store rather than spend. as well sleep will help your ability to exersise more and burn more calories too.

so i agree with your solution eat more during exersise and then you won't be absolutely starving after. then you eat a small snack afterwards (4:1 carbs to protein) to maximise recovery and you are good.
 

Fudge Monkey

New Member
Oct 7, 2007
25
0
0
nismo driver said:
i have been ridingon and off for a couple of years, i had much succes a few years back loosing weight then that bike was stolen i purchased a new full suspension xc bike but my living situation changed and didnt ride very much and the bike was not so great for fitness riding (still fun on technical trails) so long story short i finally got a road bike..

now im riding an hour a day averaging about 15mph and alternating my ride from spinning steady one day around 70 - 80 cadence the next day warming up then doing 1 minute sprints then recovering and sprinting for the length of the 14.5 mile route i ride.. so that pretty much covers the ridign im doing at this point.

after the ride i have about a 45 minute drive home and i just drink water but by the time i get home im starving i mostly eat some combination of grilled chicken and vegtables but its never "filling" i just feel like im still so hungry for hour and the next day still..

during the day im eating fruits and yougert for breakfast and a chicken or roast beef sandwich at lunch with maybe a bannana in the afternoon or ill have half the sandwich at lunch and the other half about an hour before teh end of work before i go for my ride.

what kind of snacks can i have or meal should i have that will satisfy my hunger so i dont have to fight the urge to eat more but will not harm my attempts to loose pounds..
You're running a massive calorie deficit. Perfect plan if you're trying to trim down, and the side effects are exactly as you describe.

If your objective is to increase performance, i'd up you're calories.

A few things in this thread i'll expand on.
Eat every 3 hours. Peanuts are bad. Almonds are good.
Eat your largest meals in the AM.. so you won't be famished post ride in the PM.
There is an anabolic window post workout. 20 minutes is a good rule.
Replish your carbs to avoid drawing protein from muscle to convert into sugar to replenish glycogen stores; this will help spare muscle tissue.

If you are trying to trim down, the solution is the same in every diet - self control. You're hungry but want to limit calorie intake? Its' simple - don't eat so much.
 

Mckenzie

New Member
Oct 12, 2007
2
0
0
Tough to go wrong with natural foods like fruits and vegetables. Avoiding heavily refined stuff is also helpful. There are tons of calories but little nutrition value in many processed foods.

Lean cuts of meat or tofu can help too. Cook with olive oil and keep things light. Also because you are try to drop some pounds don't skip on getting your nutrients (vitamins, essential fats, etc). It is little use to drop weight and be depriving yourself of important nutrients.
 

BioWheel

New Member
Jul 30, 2006
18
0
0
58


Pizza!!




nismo driver said:
i have been ridingon and off for a couple of years, i had much succes a few years back loosing weight then that bike was stolen i purchased a new full suspension xc bike but my living situation changed and didnt ride very much and the bike was not so great for fitness riding (still fun on technical trails) so long story short i finally got a road bike..

now im riding an hour a day averaging about 15mph and alternating my ride from spinning steady one day around 70 - 80 cadence the next day warming up then doing 1 minute sprints then recovering and sprinting for the length of the 14.5 mile route i ride.. so that pretty much covers the ridign im doing at this point.

after the ride i have about a 45 minute drive home and i just drink water but by the time i get home im starving i mostly eat some combination of grilled chicken and vegtables but its never "filling" i just feel like im still so hungry for hour and the next day still..

during the day im eating fruits and yougert for breakfast and a chicken or roast beef sandwich at lunch with maybe a bannana in the afternoon or ill have half the sandwich at lunch and the other half about an hour before teh end of work before i go for my ride.

what kind of snacks can i have or meal should i have that will satisfy my hunger so i dont have to fight the urge to eat more but will not harm my attempts to loose pounds..