Super Mario versus Gord 'Flash' Fraser

[email protected] (ronde chumpion) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...4Le3.1215%40newssvr19.news.prodigy.com&rnum=1

Gord vs Mario in Georgia. Interesting.

I'm afraid to make the call. There's a good possibility that there
will be someone else entirely who will shine, as Mario is off his
highs, and I'm not sure Gord is at that level. At his prime I would
take Mario. What other good Euro sprinters are coming?

One thing to consider: Gord's HealthNet leadout this year *sucks*.
That doesn't hurt him in NCL races where he's strong enough to jump
around and still win, but he won't have that luxury here.

Should be good TV.

Scott

Scott wrote:
> [email protected] (ronde chumpion) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
> > %2Bgroup:rec.bicycles.racing%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-
> > 8%26group%3Drec.bicycles.racing%26selm%3D2snga.1688%2524L-
> > e3.1215%2540newssvr19.news.prodigy.com%26rnum%3D1

> Gord vs Mario in Georgia. Interesting.
> I'm afraid to make the call. There's a good possibility that there will
> be someone else entirely who will shine, as Mario is off his highs, and
> I'm not sure Gord is at that level. At his prime I would take Mario.
> What other good Euro sprinters are coming?
> One thing to consider: Gord's HealthNet leadout this year *sucks*. That
> doesn't hurt him in NCL races where he's strong enough to jump around
> and still win, but he won't have that luxury here.
> Should be good TV.
> Scott

I understand the Cipo had a bad season last year, but really not that
bad. I mean yeah he lost to Petachi, but so did everyone else. If you
look at the Giro and TDF sprints you will see that Cipo when he was in
early form was aboust as close to Petachi as anyone would ever get.
Zabel did pretty good as well. Furthermore, Cipo has a serious race
schedule this year. He is racing the Giro and he has promised to finish
the tour. Given that schedule I would actually think that he is in
decent shape, and claiming that Fraser is anything near the top echelon
of D I sprinters is pretty ridiculous. I am not guarenteeing a victory,
but if Cipo gets to the line then expect him to win with ease.

--

> One thing to consider: Gord's HealthNet leadout this year *sucks*.

Mario is bringing to leadout that all others wish they could be...
Lombardi, Sciera & co. Oh and Clinger is comng for GC...... ?:|

Saeco is hooking up with Duval, so they aren't sending any real power.
Who's Duvals sprinter? CSC rounds out the Euro's and they aren't really
a sprinters team.....

lazysegall (wrote in message: blah,blah,blah)

> I understand the Cipo had a bad season last year, but really not that
> bad.

It WAS bad. He DISGRACED the World Champion's Jersey. Started about
20 days, and maybe won twice.

I mean yeah he lost to Petachi, but so did everyone else.
???

If you look at the Giro and TDF sprints you will see that Cipo when he
was in
> early form was aboust as close to Petachi as anyone would ever get.

His form during the Tour de France was on a beach. Hasn't raced it
since 1999.

> Furthermore, Cipo has a serious race schedule this year. He is racing the Giro and he has promised to finish
> the tour.

I am shaking. WOW! He has a 'serious' schedule this year. We why
didn't you just say that from the start. I do apologize.

No, I take that back. You really should lurk a little longer. You're
not ready to be heard from here in RBR. Mario will NOT finish the Tour
de France in 2004. Try to understand what I just wrote.

Given that schedule I would actually think that he is in
> decent shape, and claiming that Fraser is anything near the top echelon
> of D I sprinters is pretty ridiculous.

Oh. yeah. Getting dropped with the second group in Milan-San Remo 2004
is in decent shape. Or maybe getting dropped on a 15 meter rise in
Macon, GA on April 20th, 2004, with 3k to go in a 130k stage, when 70
no-hope US riders made it just fine. He is right on target for the
Giro start in two weeks. BTW, Petachii sp? is already winning races.
Garzelli will pound the big talker Simoni for the Maglia Rosa, and
Petacchii will deny Mario his all time stage record.

I am not guarenteeing a victory,
> but if Cipo gets to the line then expect him to win with ease.

If Nelson Vails got to the line, he'd win too. Isn't that the point.
You do the distance, and you win the sprint. Why should Gord be
penalized because Mario is so out of shape, he can't be competitive?

Mario looks like any pan-handler on the west side of Oakland, CA.
What a bum

Please consider what I suggested to you for awhile.

Thanks,
Ronde Chumpion

On 04/20/2004 11:56 PM, in article
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Petacchii will deny Mario his all time stage record.

Cipo already holds the all time stage record at the Giro ... He set it just
one day after tying the record in 2003.

From http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/giro03/?id=results/stage9

On the day when World Champion Mario Cipollini learned of his unexpected
exclusion from the Tour de France before the stage, SuperMario showed just
how super he still is, turning a "giornata brutta" into a "bellissima
momento". Cipollini decisively won his second consecutive Giro stage ahead
of a fast-closing Robbie McEwen, and even if he was dissed again by the
French, with his 185th career win, Cipollini has now established a new stage
win record for the Giro d'Italia of 42 victories, finally beating Alfredo
Binda's record in front of a huge home crowd of his Tuscan tifosi.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

I was there! Mario wasn't dropped on any climb! There was a crach that
delayed many riders on the final lap but Chipo was not one of them.