Super Record BB Reaplacement Hel*p* or Hel*l*

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paolo Sant'Ambr, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. Bike: '84 or '85 Pinarello Montello SLX with Super Record. 170 cranks 42-52, 126mm spacing, 6sp
    Regina 12-27.

    A worn out 115.5mm grooved thick cup SR BB was replaced with Phil wood BRS16 (160mm +5mm right
    offset). Right crank is way far out resulting in difficult shifting to 52 CW even after
    readjustement.

    Replaced right crank (diamond 8 '78) to one that matches left a more appropiate circle 1 ('81);
    crank is even further out. Do I have the right BB? I measured the SR spindle, a stainelss version,
    and find that there is a 2mm offset on the right measured from the bearing races to the spinle end
    (and from the center between races). Phil Wood is has an as advertised 5mm offeset.

    How do I fix the whole mess? Is the prioity to obtain by adjustement the 43.5 mm chainline dimension
    from frame center to centerline between CW's?

    The SR BB replacement with a Phil Wood seeem to be a common fix since Sr BB are difficult to find,
    there must be a fix that has worked.

    Can I exect after adjusting for a 43.5 chainline to have both cranks equally spaced in the frame -
    and the chainstays - or am I expecting too much?

    TIA,

    Paolo Sant'Ambrogio

    Tags:

  2. Waal

    Waal Guest

    "paolo sant'ambrogio" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bike: '84 or '85 Pinarello Montello SLX with Super Record. 170 cranks 42-52, 126mm spacing, 6sp
    > Regina 12-27.
    >
    > A worn out 115.5mm grooved thick cup SR BB was replaced with Phil wood BRS16 (160mm +5mm right
    > offset). Right crank is way far out resulting in difficult shifting to 52 CW even after
    > readjustement.

    A Victory BB (sym.118mm) will do the job.

    Michael

    > Replaced right crank (diamond 8 '78) to one that matches left a more appropiate circle 1 ('81);
    > crank is even further out. Do I have the right BB? I measured the SR spindle, a stainelss version,
    > and find that there is a 2mm offset on the right measured from the bearing races to the spinle end
    > (and from the center between races). Phil Wood is has an as advertised 5mm offeset.
    >
    > How do I fix the whole mess? Is the prioity to obtain by adjustement the 43.5 mm chainline
    > dimension from frame center to centerline between CW's?
    >
    > The SR BB replacement with a Phil Wood seeem to be a common fix since Sr BB are difficult to find,
    > there must be a fix that has worked.
    >
    > Can I exect after adjusting for a 43.5 chainline to have both cranks equally spaced in the frame -
    > and the chainstays - or am I expecting too much?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Paolo Sant'Ambrogio

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "paolo sant'ambrogio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bike: '84 or '85 Pinarello Montello SLX with Super Record. 170 cranks 42-52, 126mm spacing, 6sp
    > Regina 12-27.
    >
    > A worn out 115.5mm grooved thick cup SR BB was replaced with Phil wood BRS16 (160mm +5mm right
    > offset). Right crank is way far out resulting in difficult shifting to 52 CW even after
    > readjustement.
    >
    > Replaced right crank (diamond 8 '78) to one that matches left a more appropiate circle 1 ('81);
    > crank is even further out. Do I have the right BB? I measured the SR spindle, a stainelss version,
    > and find that there is a 2mm offset on the right measured from the bearing races to the spinle end
    > (and from the center between races). Phil Wood is has an as advertised 5mm offeset.
    >
    > How do I fix the whole mess? Is the prioity to obtain by adjustement the 43.5 mm chainline
    > dimension from frame center to centerline between CW's?
    >
    > The SR BB replacement with a Phil Wood seeem to be a common fix since Sr BB are difficult to find,
    > there must be a fix that has worked.
    >
    > Can I exect after adjusting for a 43.5 chainline to have both cranks equally spaced in the frame -
    > and the chainstays - or am I expecting too much?

    There are a multitude of compatible BBs available for the Campagnolo 1046/A steel BB ( When you
    say "Super Record" you meant reduced, right? Not a titanium spindle, I hope). The original spindle
    is about 115mm overall (70mm BB version) and with a 2mm offset to the right as you note. When you
    say Phil BRS16, I think you meant 116mm, not 160mm, right? That Phil BB is intended for a modern
    Shimano-type crank, not the standard Campagnolo or a classic DuraAce arm. Your crank will sit out
    too far on that spindle as the taper begins with a different section. Although you might fudge
    this by moving the BB left I wouldn't use that spindle in that arm. See if your LBS will accept a
    return/exchange on the Phil, especially if they recommended that model. Phil does make the correct
    cartridge for this, and nearly every, application. In the old days Phil called the one you need
    his "#2" BB.

  4. pambrogio-<< How do I fix the whole mess? Is the prioity to obtain by adjustement the 43.5 mm
    chainline dimension from frame center to centerline between CW's

    We have NOS SuperRecord(steel) and Gran Sport BBs in Italian threading..

  5. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    [email protected] (paolo sant'ambrogio) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Snip'd > The SR BB replacement with a Phil Wood seeem to be a common fix since Sr BB are difficult
    > to find, there must be a fix that has worked.

    Those Campagnolo BBs are not hard to find even for New Old Stock (NOS). Try posting a WTB at
    rec.bicycles.marketplace. In fact, I have 3 spares ones (ITL) for sale. I assume you are not located
    in the US?

  6. > There are a multitude of compatible BBs available for the Campagnolo 1046/A steel BB ( When you
    > say "Super Record" you meant reduced, right? Not a titanium spindle, I hope).

    'Record' bottom bracket, steel cups with grooved spindle holes, steel spindle.

    > The original spindle is about 115mm overall (70mm BB version) and with a 2mm offset to the right
    > as you note. When you say Phil BRS16, I think you meant 116mm, not 160mm, right?

    Yes I do, my typo, the Phil Wood has a 116mm spindle

    > That Phil BB is intended for a modern Shimano-type crank, not the standard Campagnolo or a classic
    > DuraAce arm. Your crank will sit out too far on that spindle as the taper begins with a different
    > section. Although you might fudge this by moving the BB left I wouldn't use that spindle in that
    > arm. See if your LBS will accept a return/exchange on the Phil, especially if they recommended
    > that model. Phil does make the correct cartridge for this, and nearly every, application. In the
    > old days Phil called the one you need his "#2" BB.

    I was reccommeded repetledly by Phil wood to use the BRS16. Strangely enough their website lists a
    BRS15 'Campy Specific'; I do not know if this means that the tapers have the smaller end section
    that allows deeper positioning on the cranks.

    The response from bike shops and from Phil Wood has beedn to just screw the bb left leaving too many
    threads exposed on the cups, or to just 'hammer' or press the spindle to get the right offset.

    Either way, if I 'screw' of 'press' or 'hammmer' the BB I will likely end with uneven centering of
    the cranks or a chainline not of 43.5mm. If I just 'screw' the BB then I have a gaping hole in the
    BB shell on the right and a cup that is half out on the left.

    Somehere in the extensive range of PW bb's there must be one that has a 155mm lenght, has campy
    Record (post '78) tapers, and a 2mm offest.

    Paolo Sant'Ambrogio