Super Record crank bolts

kwhiner

Guest
Just bought a '78 Guerciotti, went this morning to change the 170mm
arms for some 172.5s and found the crank bolts to be an odd size, and
don't match at least in vintage for sure. Dug out the magnifying glass
and they are Campy bolts. The bolts seem to be non-metric just smaller
than 14mm. The 13 is too small 14 too big.

Any info, suggestions, etc would be of help.

Thanks.

kwhiner

On Aug 24, 3:32 pm, kwhiner <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just bought a '78 Guerciotti, went this morning to change the 170mm
> arms for some 172.5s and found the crank bolts to be an odd size, and
> don't match at least in vintage for sure. Dug out the magnifying glass
> and they are Campy bolts. The bolts seem to be non-metric just smaller
> than 14mm. The 13 is too small 14 too big.
>
> Any info, suggestions, etc would be of help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> kwhiner

A '78 Guerciotti? - nice bike. The steel Campy crank bolts for that
era's bottom brackets require a thin wall 15mm socket - thin walled to
clear the threaded well sides of the crank -- or Campy's own 15mm
"peanut butter wrench" that is for this specific purpose.

If you're swapping out the 170.0 mm cranks for 172.5mm cranks only
because you want longer ones, I've read that many people report
noticing no difference. Their 0.098 in length difference, after all,
is less than an eight of an inch.

A good way to inquire and find out more about your vintage bike is to
join the CR Email list--

http://www.classicrendezvous.com

-- and it's moderated so that, for example, the one insufferable jerk
that chronically posts here would have been jerked there in a minute.

--

Spike

On 2007-08-25, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> A '78 Guerciotti? - nice bike. The steel Campy crank bolts for that
> era's bottom brackets require a thin wall 15mm socket - thin walled to
> clear the threaded well sides of the crank -- or Campy's own 15mm
> "peanut butter wrench" that is for this specific purpose.

Don't tell the track guys that -- they seem to think it was intended
specifically for the hub nuts. :)

--

John ([email protected])

On Aug 24, 9:46 pm, John Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2007-08-25, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A '78 Guerciotti? - nice bike. The steel Campy crank bolts for that
> > era's bottom brackets require a thin wall 15mm socket - thin walled to
> > clear the threaded well sides of the crank -- or Campy's own 15mm
> > "peanut butter wrench" that is for this specific purpose.

> Don't tell the track guys that -- they seem to think it was intended
> specifically for the hub nuts. :)
>
> --
>
> John ([email protected])

Very interesting, but I wish you hadn't told me. Now I'll have to get
a track bike to go with my wrench.

--

Spike

In article
<[email protected]>
,
[email protected] wrote:

> On Aug 24, 9:46 pm, John Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On 2007-08-25, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > A '78 Guerciotti? - nice bike. The steel Campy crank bolts for that
> > > era's bottom brackets require a thin wall 15mm socket - thin walled to
> > > clear the threaded well sides of the crank -- or Campy's own 15mm
> > > "peanut butter wrench" that is for this specific purpose.

> > Don't tell the track guys that -- they seem to think it was intended
> > specifically for the hub nuts. :)

> Very interesting, but I wish you hadn't told me. Now I'll have to get
> a track bike to go with my wrench.

Another fashion victim. There are programs for it, but,
alas! Most people never admit they have a problem.

--
Michael Press

On Aug 25, 1:35 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>
> ,
>
> [email protected] wrote:

> > > Don't tell the track guys that -- they seem to think it was intended
> > > specifically for the hub nuts. :)

> > Very interesting, but I wish you hadn't told me. Now I'll have to get
> > a track bike to go with my wrench.

> Another fashion victim. There are programs for it, but,
> alas! Most people never admit they have a problem.
>
> --
> Michael Press

Now you got me really worried about that 23mm 12-point metric socket I
found at the bottom of my tool box. Black 911 Porsche Carrera
convertible specific?
--
Spike

On Aug 25, 4:59 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Now you got me really worried about that 23mm 12-point metric socket I
> found at the bottom of my tool box. Black 911 Porsche Carrera
> convertible specific?

My 13 year old daughter recently bugged me until I took her to the
Porsche dealership (to look at Porsches).

She chickened out of going inside, sent me in for pictures/pamphlets/
whatever.

Point of the story: on the way in, I realized: This Could Work Out for
Me!

The salesman who gave me the ad mat'ls thought that was pretty funny.
He has a daughter a couple of years older, same deal.

(One of the Boxters had a sign in the windshield: Lease Me for $660 a
month!!!) --D-y

On Aug 25, 6:16 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 25, 4:59 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Now you got me really worried about that 23mm 12-point metric socket I
> > found at the bottom of my tool box. Black 911 Porsche Carrera
> > convertible specific?

> My 13 year old daughter recently bugged me until I took her to the
> Porsche dealership (to look at Porsches).
>
> She chickened out of going inside, sent me in for pictures/pamphlets/
> whatever.
>
> Point of the story: on the way in, I realized: This Could Work Out for
> Me!
>
> The salesman who gave me the ad mat'ls thought that was pretty funny.
> He has a daughter a couple of years older, same deal.
>
> (One of the Boxters had a sign in the windshield: Lease Me for $660 a
> month!!!) --D-y

Aah, you're lucky. Not to mention a couple of guys, maybe, who in
ten or so years from now will have wives who draw the line, put their
foot down, and deliver the ultimatum - either we get a Porsche or I'm
leaving..
--
I digress, Spike

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2007-08-25, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> A '78 Guerciotti? - nice bike. The steel Campy crank bolts for that
>> era's bottom brackets require a thin wall 15mm socket - thin walled to
>> clear the threaded well sides of the crank -- or Campy's own 15mm
>> "peanut butter wrench" that is for this specific purpose.

> Don't tell the track guys that -- they seem to think it was intended
> specifically for the hub nuts. :)

I carry the Park copy on my bike with the SRAM (nee Sachs) 3x7 hub for
rear wheel removal.

Has anyone ever actually spread peanut butter with one?

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

"Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Has anyone ever actually spread peanut butter with one?

Yes I have at the Great Western Bike Rally years ago.
My friend who is also a connoisseur of the older lugged steel frame bikes
with Campagnolo Record components were having a bite to eat after a ride to
the coast and back. He had pulled out a beachchair and was munching on some
snacks, as I did the same with a jar of peanut butter, and as a joke I used
the Campagnolo 15mm crank spanner to scoop out the contents. That's
actually what the track riders used to do in the old days. He just shook his
head, then does one better by grabbing his gold Campagnolo wine bottle
opener...there nothing like a cool glass of chardonnay with peanut butter he
says.
-tom